The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New iPod Touch + WIFI iTunes STORE (=the CD is dead) Condenser Microphones
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you could buy an Album in the same Red Book quality (or better) in the iTunes store for $9.99, would you still buy the CD at $15-21 at some *physical store*?

Case closed.
No, but I'd pay $10-$12, which is about what I pay for CDs now...
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
I'd want to ask you this:

If you could buy an Album in the same Red Book quality (or better) in the iTunes store for $9.99, would you still buy the CD at $15-21 at some *physical store*?

Case closed.
I'd certainly pay a bit more for a CD. I can make GOOD MP3's from it and keep the CD at home while the MP3 goes wherever I like...

Still, CD's are going out much like artwork and credits will I guess
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Article in today's Wall Street Journal:Are Mp3s Runing Pop Music
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
I'd certainly pay a bit more for a CD. I can make GOOD MP3's from it and keep the CD at home while the MP3 goes wherever I like...

Still, CD's are going out much like artwork and credits will I guess
Download the (redbook) file, burn it to a CD and compress it to your preferred mp3/AAC. You paid $9.99 (or less) for the file and $0,2 for the CD.

I don't see how that can be beaten. The customer gets THE SAME product at a 50% of the price, as all middlemans are taken out of the path.

Isn't Piracy a problem based on CD's high prices?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
Download the (redbook) file, burn it to a CD and compress it to your preferred mp3/AAC. You paid $9.99 (or less) for the file and $0,2 for the CD.

I don't see how that can be beaten. The customer gets THE SAME product at a 50% of the price, as all middlemans are taken out of the path.

And that artwork? You get the same data but not the same product. I kind of like getting something solid, but I'm a dying breed, but I'd also rather pay a bit more for software that comes with a printed manual for example.
When CD's stop existing, piracy will still be there I'm certain.

You are right that the majority of customers are happily flocking to iTunes, so it is what most people want apparantly, but I disagree that you get the same product. You get the data part of it.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

One way it can be beaten is buy buying the CD itself for that same $9.99, which is not uncommon. Even when I do pay more than that it's never even close to twice as much. And you don't get THE SAME product...you're missing the liner notes (and no, printing them out or getting a PDF is not the same thing), the artwork (I'll admit that I do like the album cover showing up on my iPod now, but it's still not the same thing) and the packaging in general...and, more and more these days, you're also not getting, say, the bonus DVD of concert or "making-of" footage.

Quote:
No. It would still be a problem even if prices were lower. Some people just don't want to pay at all for something they can get for free, even if they have to steal it.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
No. It would still be a problem even if prices were lower. Some people just don't want to pay at all for something they can get for free, even if they have to steal it.
Yeah, they should just walk over to their neighborhood Tower Records...

Oh, well.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

I don't know, but I will still keep on buying VINYLS!

I think you should get a code coupon with CDs/Vinyls that would enable you to download "well encoded" mp3/aac versions of the record you just got a license for. Plus extras, interviews and making-of videos. Real thing + exclusive online material.

- Jesse -

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search