The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New iPod Touch + WIFI iTunes STORE (=the CD is dead) Condenser Microphones
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
It's a continuation of what I found when moving from analog (2" + great console) to digital. Loss in the depth of field (reverb and "space"). Smearing of the phase. Time domain issues with transients. Narrowing of the stereo soundfield. Crunchyness of the high end, while paradoxically having the "air" sucked out of it. Reduction of a round (phatt?) bottom. And more that is "undescribeable" for me to put into words.

(BTW, just for reference, these days I'm on PTHD3, mixing mostly in the box even though I own / use a D&R OrionX with 120 automated inputs. Still love analog, but it's just not a reality for my delivery requirements anymore.)

This is a touchy subject for me. Sorry if I come off elitist. I'm anything but. I use what works. I'm blessed to have a lot of cool desireable gear, but I not one of those guys that says chinese mics are all trash or 1073 clones just don't make the grade.

I'm truly sad to see that there are so many that don't hear the difference. I wonder if all their bravado is to cover up the obvious. I don't think you'll find Al Schmitt or Bruce Swedien or Tchad Blake or George Massenburg or other top engineers saying that they can't hear the difference. Yet there are a lot of "pro's" right here saying it loud and clear.

We are supposed to be "engineers". We don't have a credo like doctors, but if we did, it should be to uphold and enhance audio and protect it as much as possible from formats that deteriorate what we made to begin with.

When we listen to a vintage U47, vs a Wunder C7, vs a Peluso 2247 you will get all kinds of people telling you how much of a HUGE difference there is between them. and yet, I find that difference much more minimal than the difference between a CD track and a download off of iTunes.

As a side note, on a related yet different topic, I recently had to upload a bunch of country tracks into PT for a live show. Most of these tracks were produced in N'ville and were huge hits. I told the producer that we needed to get the original tracks off of CD cause these tracks he downloaded from iTunes weren't going to cut it. Well, he said OK and brought in the CD. Guess what, his assistant DID get the tracks off the CD's not iTunes. I felt like an idiot, but that was a turning point for me in regards to current mastering. The loudness wars have gotten so bad that I have a difficult time listening to music. After spending 50-80 hours a week listening to REAL uncompressed, unlimited and un-MP3'd music, it's just really hard for me to listen to. The difference is like night and day to me. For those who don't really hear real music as it was meant to be heard, maybe the difference is not so obvious, but I truly find that unbelieveable for someone who "makes" music.

So....am I the only one here who feels this way?!?! I don't like feeling like I'm the sole survivor trying to hold off a glacier that's on the move. Anyone else out there??????

No your not the only one Dr.

I bought my first real desk from Speck and an Otari 8 track back in the early eighties, so it must be something we acquire with time,like a fine wine.heh

I havn't read this whole tread,but here's my $.02. I never buy any music from iTunes. 128 sounds like **** for all of the above reasons. I load stuff into the iPod from cds at 320 acc for casual listening. Its okay. Anything serious I load in at 16/44. Every time I hear a Pro say he bought 300 tunes this month from iTunes and loves it, I about fall out of my chair. Its just amazing to me!

Now the kids don't give a crap at all,and im cool with that. I just hope I can still get hifi stuff down the road. iTunes has 198 now for an extra $.30 per track or something like that. Can't imagine its much better though.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

count me out. itunes is lame.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abell1234 View Post
Its funny last night my band had a meeting about our next release (which we have already started to record) we came to the conclusion that pressing CDs is a waste of money since we still have 750 copies of our last one. We decided we would release the next album on usb flash drives, still looking into to a price that will work for us. But the point is a CD store in our town just went out of bussiness, and thats because CDs are not valued anymore. You can get stuff off the net for free if you want. If anyone has any other ideas as to how to release an album or how music can be distributed without the internet (at shows) I would love to hear them.
Press less!

Seriously, I treat CD's as business cards these days. Costs are so low that you can hardly lose and giving a CD to someone is nice. Handing them some Data....not sure
Big sales, sure downloads are going to be where it's at, but CD's are still great objects to promote your ideas
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Count me out too. I don't own an iPod or any mp3 player, don't intend to YET. I am not against music downloading but count me in when we have at the very least the same sound quality (44.1/16 Bit) as we have had for the last 20 years, preferably better.

The quality just isn't there, music to me is all about the detail, the air around instruments, reverb tails, subtle delays floating away etc Unfortunately IMO that's where mp3 is at it's worst. Mind you the loudness war has cut my music listening right down, I find it to hard going!
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I wouldn't listen at home to MP3 but when I'm travelling or not at home, I like my iPod. I rip my CD's using Lame Extreme and they sound MILES better than most MP3 files I hear.
I also love gadgets, so count me in!
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Take out the fidelity/bit rate argument and I just want to add that I HATE CDS.

I have always hated CDs and their plastic cases.

I hate storing them (those effing cd books)

I hate stacking them

They are so uninspiring

If your going to have cover art and liner notes.....don't cram em on some tiny booklet...lame

Vinyl is much more organic and fun as a physical medium

I hope that if there is a physical medium (and I don't think there will be - usb key maybe) that it aint some little disc

digital is digital...if its digital form then it should have the convenience of being on the computer (that's why i burned all my cd's to .wav)

/rant over
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I hate those stupid assumptions "the cd is dead", cause that's absolutely not true. Check the facts!

The CD Is Dead? Make That The CD Store.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilio View Post
here are the song i promised the other day converted in itunes using 4 different codecs, which are aiff, apple lossless, standard mp3/160 and aac.

the artist is "lamb" and the song is called "b-line".

i will be posting each song in its own post based on size.

enjoy and would love to hear feedback.

here's #1...
sorry guys...i am having lots o' trouble getting some of these up...if any one has a suggestion on the best way to do this, im all ears(eyes).

of particular problems are the full size and lossless codecs as the files are too big and i dont have an editor in front of me.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
sorry guys...i am having lots o' trouble getting some of these up...if any one has a suggestion on the best way to do this, im all ears(eyes).

of particular problems are the full size and lossless codecs as the files are too big and i dont have an editor in front of me.

Doesnt the file size and their extensions give away what they are and defeat a blind test, also in itunes, you can just press cmd + i and you will get the file info, like what codec was used and the bitrate.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Doesnt the file size and their extensions give away what they are and defeat a blind test, also in itunes, you can just press cmd + i and you will get the file info, like what codec was used and the bitrate.
yeah exactly the 2nd main reason i am having problems....

size and gearslutz restrictions being the first most.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

You could try to make them shorter I guess, a minute or so should be enough.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiaman View Post
A friend of mine and I made his whole album on analog, and I told him to print it on a cassette. Guess what, he sold out of his intial pressings of 500 cassettes at 7 bucks a pop. People at his shows were intrigued with the cassette instead of the cd that every other band was selling. He doesn't have myspace, he doesn't even have a website. If you want his music, its cassette, live show, or nothing.

I seriously don't think quality recording are what people are looking for. They are looking for different.

So with that said, perhaps its benifical to not feed into the "instant gradification" of information that people are use to. Music of hundreds of bands at a moments notice might leave a person overwhelmed as to what to buy, and then they end up just trading a bunch of music and not get emotionally attached to a piece of music. Or they wait to get home and add you as a myspace friend if they dug your music, and then they move on to something else, leaving just a myspace comment at some point.

I believe we should get way from cds, and the internet, and start to concentrate on very small markets and exploit them to the point of saturation in the form of things that can't be duplicated easily. Less pressence the better. Embrace the mystery, have as little information about yourself on the web, and let the music be the only thing that is heard. Then those that relate to you music will seek it out and wait for what else you have to say in the form of your second album.

Imagine wanting to tell your friend of a band or artist you saw. But you can't give them any website information for them to check out, so they are forced to see you at a show, or buy one of your recordings because the want to know the mystery.
i agree! i think mtv and vh1 reality shows like cribs and the fabulous life have also contributed to the decline in album sales. Coupled with instant free access to music downloads, artists seem far more tanglible than they once did, and sales suffer
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
-The CD is dead.
No, it most certainly isn't. It isn't even dying yet. Sure, its slice of the pie is getting smaller...but it's still by far the largest slice, and there's going to be plenty of pie to go around for a long time.

Quote:
-Starbucks has 14,000+ stores worldwide to where now they'll sell music with the WIFI iTunes Store
Most of those stores also sell a ton of CDs...some of them exclusive...and that division of the business is doing very well. And they sell for more there than just about anything else.

Quote:
But the point is a CD store in our town just went out of bussiness, and thats because CDs are not valued anymore. You can get stuff off the net for free if you want.
No, that's because that CD store was not valued any more. It's happening everywhere, but places like Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy etc are still selling a ton of CDs. Amazon is selling a huge amount of CDs at very competetive prices. And places like Borders and Starbucks are still selling plenty of CDs at premium prices. And CDs are still the easiest way for indie bands to sell CDs, especially at shows. And there will always...or at least for a long, long time to come...be people who will insist on buying their music in some tangible format.

Quote:
Apple has already set the standard. And IT WORKS. Now comes the most difficult part. Convince Jobs to not make the same mistake again and OPEN IT.

I mean for the whole thing to work (ditch the CD, lower prices, save the industry), the iTunes software, iTunes songs and iTunes Store things MUST be compatible in someway with 3rd party devices, including those from Microsoft
It's not Jobs who is keeping it closed. He wants it open. It's the owners of the music (labels etc) who are insisting on keeping it closed. Even though all you have to do to open it is burn it to a CD and rip it.

And how much demand is there really for compatibilitly with Microsoft's hardware?

Quote:
i have a question for the guru's here; can dsd be loaded on a ipod? or be compressed in a way that it is compatible?
No, it can't. It has to be converted to PCM first.

But it doesn't matter, becase as a delivery format, DSD is as close to dead as possible at this point...

Quote:
if i have an mp3/aac/??? compressed file and i up-convert the file to wav/aiff format do i lose anything? in other words do i now have a full aiff/wav file or do i just have a "translated" mp3?
You don't lose anything, but you don't gain anything either...changing the format doesn't make it "better".

Quote:
The day to get rid of all physical media for music has arrived, because we have the device that makes it possible in our own pockets: Cellphones and iPods.
That day hasn't come yet. Why does it have to be one or the other? I love my iPod, but it certainly hasn't replaced my CD collection. It has replaced my CD wallets, though.

Quote:
The honest truth i think mp3 format in the end sounds better anyways, in some ways it give that analog sound back, CDs can be real cold sounding and i never really liked them
If you think that the sound of MP3 has anything to do with teh sound of good analog, then you probably didn't know how to align your analog machines.

Quote:
is the best mp3/aac/codec better than cassette tape,especially after a few runs?
How is this question even relevant?

Quote:
you're in a service industry, nothing more, and people want the convenience of compressed digital audio, so shut up and deliver the product that is in demand or go home.
Most of "our" clients aren't the people who are demanding the convenience of compressed digital audio. "Our" clients are the ones who hopefully want to record the best-quality audio possible, and its "their" clients who are demanding convenience before quality. But if "we" decide that we should compromise the quality of what we're doing because of where it's going to wind up then maybe "we" really should go home.

Quote:
So....am I the only one here who feels this way?!?! I don't like feeling like I'm the sole survivor trying to hold off a glacier that's on the move. Anyone else out there??????
No, you certainly are not the only one who feels this way...I have the feeling that most of the "regulars" around here just aren't paying attention to this thread.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
btw, a survey came out that McDonalds coffee was better than Starbucks by far.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Dude, I don't need a blind listening test. For me, it's like the difference between McDonalds coffee and Starbucks. I can tell the difference by looking at them even before tasting.

Seriously, if you think we need double blind A/B testing to tell the difference, I'll say it again - your'e in the wrong business.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
No, it most certainly isn't. It isn't even dying yet. Sure, its slice of the pie is getting smaller...but it's still by far the largest slice, and there's going to be plenty of pie to go around for a long time.

Most of those stores also sell a ton of CDs...some of them exclusive...and that division of the business is doing very well. And they sell for more there than just about anything else.

No, that's because that CD store was not valued any more. It's happening everywhere, but places like Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy etc are still selling a ton of CDs. Amazon is selling a huge amount of CDs at very competetive prices. And places like Borders and Starbucks are still selling plenty of CDs at premium prices. And CDs are still the easiest way for indie bands to sell CDs, especially at shows. And there will always...or at least for a long, long time to come...be people who will insist on buying their music in some tangible format.

It's not Jobs who is keeping it closed. He wants it open. It's the owners of the music (labels etc) who are insisting on keeping it closed. Even though all you have to do to open it is burn it to a CD and rip it.

And how much demand is there really for compatibilitly with Microsoft's hardware?

No, it can't. It has to be converted to PCM first.

But it doesn't matter, becase as a delivery format, DSD is as close to dead as possible at this point...

You don't lose anything, but you don't gain anything either...changing the format doesn't make it "better".

That day hasn't come yet. Why does it have to be one or the other? I love my iPod, but it certainly hasn't replaced my CD collection. It has replaced my CD wallets, though.

If you think that the sound of MP3 has anything to do with teh sound of good analog, then you probably didn't know how to align your analog machines.

How is this question even relevant?

Most of "our" clients aren't the people who are demanding the convenience of compressed digital audio. "Our" clients are the ones who hopefully want to record the best-quality audio possible, and its "their" clients who are demanding convenience before quality. But if "we" decide that we should compromise the quality of what we're doing because of where it's going to wind up then maybe "we" really should go home.

No, you certainly are not the only one who feels this way...I have the feeling that most of the "regulars" around here just aren't paying attention to this thread.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
I came to that conclusion myself. One can only imagine what would happen if Fletcher showed up on this thread. LOL I think some people would be getting ripped a new one. heh heh

Thanks. bp
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

I won't support the iTunes store until I can buy music from them in good quality.
Old 11th September 2007

I think it is a bit funny that we discuss the FUTURE of digitally distributed music and totally miss the fact that technical improvements in the last ten years in this field were so dramatic that an unchanged progress in regards to disk sizes and internet speed will mean that in five to ten years NOBODY will have a need anymore for compressed files.
Ten years ago, average hard disks were 10GB and internet very fast with 128 kBit, today we have easily 300GB and 6 MBit connections. Where are we in another ten years?

And about the piracy thing: I always make a suggestion to people who get piracy music. I suggest to them to steal it the proper way and go to a store and hide it under their coat. Additionally, I ask them to leave 1$ in the store for the value of the case, the booklet and the CD-R. That makes up for the difference between stealing on the net or in the store.

Want to say: I HATE it, and it is really one thing that I hate about the internet. But I am very much afraid that THIS is really the future, to a large degree. I hardly know any teenage who does not get 95% of his music that way, and sadly, they are the future. And they will teach THEIR kids one day how to do it, too.

Except if something very positive will happen to the moral fabric of our countries.
Old 11th September 2007
Forgetting about mp3 for a second and looking back a decade, if all CDs were 4-5 quid a pop instead of around a tenner we wouldn't have slipped into this predicament. The recording industry has been fleecing consumers for decades to support its ridiculously bloated infrastructure, coupled with the unnecessarily convoluted and numerous slicing of the CD pie. I can remember having to pay £14 for a CD in a record shop, before the days of Amazon etc. Absurd.

Of course people will download leaks that make it to the net while the CD is still held up in distribution schedules, old-school press schedules etc, eventually making it to market for ten quid plus a couple of months later. The recording industry needed a severe streamlining, and should have focussed on nurturing smaller runs with a quicker turnaround that relying on a single 'cream' juggernaut release with a few hundred grand of promo dollar behind it. IMO. This could have meant a label in-house team of recording and mastering, even manufacturing, to get the product completed and on sale as quickly as possible, maximising a reasonable overhead. But it's too late for that now, except perhaps for the small indies out there.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Head

Apple is probably reluctant to post high quality files because...

I haven't read through all the posts so forgive me if this has been mentioned aleady but, I offer these facts simply for everyone's consideration regarding the mp3/lossless/wav/aif sound quality issue as it pertains to iPods. If you load up an iPod with larger files in the lossless format or full wav/aif your battery life takes a severe hit and that tiny Toshiba hard drive's lifespan will become significantly shorter.

The larger the file the more data the iPod has to load into memory, the more often it has to spin that drive, the more energy it needs to use, more friction, more heat...you get the idea.

Critical listens to multiple mixdowns over and over in full aif format on my jogs after a long day of home studio work sure crapped my iPod faster than normal the last go 'round.

High quality iTunes Store downloads would potentially create headaches for Apple iPod tech support and tarnish their image when people's iPods start to die so soon. Those little Toshiba drives are not as reliable as the 3.5" hard drives. Many of them die a pretty early death just playing m4a files.

There are other issues of course as well.

Just saying.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zootdaze View Post
I haven't read through all the posts so forgive me if this has been mentioned aleady but, I offer these facts simply for everyone's consideration regarding the mp3/lossless/wav/aif sound quality issue as it pertains to iPods. If you load up an iPod with larger files in the lossless format or full wav/aif your battery life takes a severe hit and that tiny Toshiba hard drive's lifespan will become significantly shorter.

The larger the file the more data the iPod has to load into memory, the more often it has to spin that drive, the more energy it needs to use, more friction, more heat...you get the idea.

Critical listens to multiple mixdowns over and over in full aif format on my jogs after a long day of home studio work sure crapped my iPod faster than normal the last go 'round.

High quality iTunes Store downloads would potentially create headaches for Apple iPod tech support and tarnish their image when people's iPods start to die so soon. Those little Toshiba drives are not as reliable as the 3.5" hard drives. Many of them die a pretty early death just playing m4a files.

There are other issues of course as well.

Just saying.
steve jobs and apple arent the ones who shun "high quality"....more likely it is the labels who prefer lower quality as the logic most likely goes, if its going to end up on limewire,at least make it as shi-tty as possible.

apple has always proffered an artists sensibility, in design and function.

as far as battery life and harddrive health as mentioned above, that all changes as moores law is applied to flash media.
the new ipod "touch" is 16 gigs...2-3 years from now flash media will have caught up to the storage capacites of the now "ipod classics"....which totally changes the game, that coupled with the always improving battery technologies.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:

What he needs to do is convert them all to their respective formats and then convert them back to .wav. The "audiophiles" here should be able to tell the difference.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
...And you will no longer give a couple of CDs to your beloved for Christmas, but an iPod Shuffle (for $79, the price of 3-5 CDs!!!!!!) loaded with a couple of albums. You will first download the music for yourself, and as it will be RIAA-DRM free (EMI as of today), you'll then loaded it into the Nano you'll give as a present. All this is not the future, it's happening TODAY...
Oh sure, because "loading up" an iPod takes a helluva lot less time than gift-wrapping 3-5 CDs, uh-huh.

Listen, have you ever tried to find an "obscure" song in iTunes? Have you ever gone into iTunes to look for an album and you see that the complete album is not there, and is missing a few of the tracks? Like someone said, has your collection been wiped out before because your laptop died and the last backup you did was when you had way too much time on your hands and you've still lost a ton of songs?

CDs are fine enough, the issue is people need to bring their levels down, to say that the CD is dead, on Gearslutz.com, where a lot of people work with music so that in the end, an artist can see their hard-earned work materialized in that one shrink-wrapped piece of plastic is I don't know, pretty damn disrespectful really. Damn!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

The CD might not be dead yet, but it sure is dying. Thank god. I own about 500 CDs... ever since iTunes Store came to Australia about 2 years ago they've been locked away in storage in the garage after the last move. I've only bought one CD since, which was a rare and rather expensive out of print disc.... everything else (about 800 songs) has been from iTunes and to be honest, I've never bought more music from a wider array of artists and genres than I do now. It suits my must-hear-it-now impulsive nature perfectly ;-). CDs are messy, annoying and bulky to store, get scratched and skip (massive pet hate) and the jewel cases break too. People talk about losing their iTunes files (you're audio pros and you don't back up???) but any CD in weekly use is damaged beyond use within a few years if you're not totally anal when handling them (which admittedly I'm not).

For the most part 128kps (iTunes) and 256kps (what I ripped my CDs at) AAC is perfectly fine for listening while walking, in the car and around the house through the various stereo/home theatre systems. It's only when put on a decent pair of headphones and listen through a proper audio interface that the smearing and squelching on cymbals and overall high end detail that I get annoyed and wonder what the hell is going on with audio formats.

Physical media is dead to the new generation; the only medium with a chance of standing in the consumer market is vinyl, and that will always be a niche market serving DJs and audiophiles. Vinyl will remain expensive, because there isn't the market to justify production levels to bring in economy of scale. You'll still need a good turntable, pre, amp and speakers to enjoy that lovely warm analog vibe - ie. a couple of grand's worth - because a worn LP playing on a regular turntable sounds as awful as an badly compressed MP3 or dubbed cassette.

I have to say I like the idea of getting a free digital download with your LP. I'd buy that way.

Internet delivery is where it is at, and will only increase its share of the action in the future. The physical formats now are hard drives and solid state media, the format of the data itself limited only by what software or hardware can decode it. A friend asked me a couple of weeks ago, during a conversation about how we've gone from LP/cassette to CD/MiniDisc and now to iPod, what would succeed the iPod? The only answer I could come up with was a newer iPod, or possibly another digital media player. If 24/96 or surround music, another lossless format or some kind of DSD encoding become the new standard, all it takes is a software/firmware update or hardware refresh and its compatible. Unless something comes along to out-cool the iPod, I reckon it will be about for quite some time.

DVD-A and SACD certainly aren't the future. Talking video, DVD is slowly being replaced with digital downloads and while BluRay/HD-DVD offer an easier way to move around 25Gb of high def data than the average internet connection, it won't remain that way forever. I don't doubt labels would much rather their physical mediums with increasingly restrictive DRM (SACD anyone) and high profit margins continue to prevail, but I just don't see it happening. The new generation are wise(r) to the industry's tricks, generally mistrustful and increasingly unlikely to sacrifice their convenience to suit what the record companies want, because pirating - though illegal and bad for artists - gives them what they want (the art) the way they want (unrestricted, use anywhere) when they want it (right now!). The iTunes Store prevails because it is easier than stealing.

The old adage "the customer is always right" has never really applied to the recording industry up until now, because they always held the ball. They don't anymore, so if they want to continue as successful businesses, I think they're going to have to concede that things are very much changing.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

I don't know if this was already said, but on the quest for high-quality downloads maybe a team-up with the audiophiles would be good. I mean, these guys spend 10k on hifi gear, surely they'd appreciate the ability to download high-quality content.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile-High View Post
I don't know if this was already said, but on the quest for high-quality downloads maybe a team-up with the audiophiles would be good. I mean, these guys spend 10k on hifi gear, surely they'd appreciate the ability to download high-quality content.
Oh no! Then we'll have discussion about which wifi device sounds best and how you need a 333 pound granite stone for your hard drive to stand on..
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

Don't know about anyone else, but I like artwork, packaging and booklets- even the smell of paper! When I download albums off Itunes I miss all that.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Guru

Most people that i know, buy a CD and then put it to itunes mp3, after that the CD ends up on the shelf, i know my own son does this, they are making many car stereos today that have direct hookups for mp3 players, and yes i have one in my Jeep, between mp3 and XM that is the way of life, but on the other end of things when i go to watch TV its all HDTV with a 60 inch Plasma. Im not sure that CDs will be dead but i am sure that mp3 players is a much more bigger market than a CD player. you hardly EVER see someone walking around with a CD player, its always a ipod.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'd want to ask you this:

If you could buy an Album in the same Red Book quality (or better) in the iTunes store for $9.99, would you still buy the CD at $15-21 at some *physical store*?

Case closed.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search