The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Benefits of mixing through a stereo EQ? Equalisers (HW)
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Benefits of mixing through a stereo EQ?

Want to know the benefits of mixing through a stereo EQ over leaving it to mastering?
I keep reading about top engineers doing this including Mark "Spike" Stent.

I understand how mixing through a compressor helps from the get go, but not the EQ. Can someone please explain?
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

The idea is to tonally sculpt the whole mix, less eq is then required on individual tracks.

Can be useful to mix through it from the start as all your eq decisions are based on that.

I use it ocasionally. Maybe a URS Fulltec or sometimes a Sony Oxford. Surprising how a small (0.5-1.5db) wide lift or cut can really open the track out.

Conversely I find it useful for spotting troouble areas. Then I can go back and deal with the main culprits individually - usually about 200-500hz.
Old 6th September 2007
I love doing this. About 7-8 years ago I was doing it extensively with my Manleys, and then after I sold those I stopped EQ'ing the entire mix feeling like I was cheating a bit. But in the last 3-4 years I started doing it again and mixing has gotten easier and a bit more enjoyable as well. Whatever you use it should be a hi end EQ because it's going to put it's sonic stamp on your entire mix for good or bad.
Old 6th September 2007
I've seen mix Eqs used in 2 main ways;

To compensate for any perceived deficiencies in the desk. I've seen engineers patch an oscillator up a channel to the mix buss before starting a mix, checking meters at different frequencies and attempt to balance out any deficiencies a little - flattening the playing field if you will.

Putting the mix EQ in 1/2way through a mix, and then using in conjunction with reference tracks to EQ the track overall in a particular direction. Usually pre-compressor if used.

Personally I tend towards the second approach, but only to a minimal degree.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I've seen mix Eqs used in 2 main ways;

To compensate for any perceived deficiencies in the desk. I've seen engineers patch an oscillator up a channel to the mix buss before starting a mix, checking meters at different frequencies and attempt to balance out any deficiencies a little - flattening the playing field if you will.

Putting the mix EQ in 1/2way through a mix, and then using in conjunction with reference tracks to EQ the track overall in a particular direction. Usually pre-compressor if used.

Personally I tend towards the second approach, but only to a minimal degree.
Why pre-compresor?
i would've thought after..

Also, what compressors can you guys recommend for this between 2-3k?
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnypowell View Post
Why pre-compresor?
i would've thought after..

Also, what compressors can you guys recommend for this between 2-3k?
Post comp is more common. I remember for a while it was seeing a lot of G384's followed by 8200's
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Guru

simple... if you slap a pultec across the mix buss and goose a little at 16k, you then have the pultec sparkle on every track in your mix. you'd be amazed at what at tiny little lift (1db) at 16k, a little goose at 40hz, and a shallow broad dip between 200-400hz can do for a track.

everything is instantly fatter, less congested, and more open... who would argue with that?

a sweet mix eq is next on my hit list.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Ubk--you NEED to hear the A Designs Hammer. I think you would seriously dig it.

That reminds me, I need to post some sound clips. Come check out the Hammer thread. I'll have some things up in a few minutes.

Brad
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah its funny but ive noticed that when you boost a track at 16 everything opens up for me, the 300-600 is the problem area, i used to just dip the whole track but then it would cut out too much mid, so i started going through individual tracks and seeing which ones were the real problem, also, doesn anyone boost at 12K, i used to and it gave a pretty good results, anyone else?
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
simple... if you slap a pultec across the mix buss and goose a little at 16k, you then have the pultec sparkle on every track in your mix. you'd be amazed at what at tiny little lift (1db) at 16k, a little goose at 40hz, and a shallow broad dip between 200-400hz can do for a track.

everything is instantly fatter, less congested, and more open... who would argue with that?

a sweet mix eq is next on my hit list.

gregoire
del
ubk

Pultecs or Fearns are my fav mix fattener/sparkle/enhancer.
never print without em.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search