The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Miking a kit.....with what I've got Condenser Microphones
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

Miking a kit.....with what I've got

I do mostly soul music and I've been using all drum samples so far. I'd really like to start incorporating live drums into my productions and I've been studying here on this forum for a while. However, my setup is kinda catered towards electronic production. Wish I could say money was no object but it is. Here's what I have:

Preamps:
2 channels Pacifica
4 channels Fireface

Mics:
1 Blue Baby Bottle
1 Pearlman TM-1 (on the way) heh
1 MXL v63m
1 Shure SM57
1 Shure Beta 58

I'd like to add a matched pair of [insert inexpensive but great sounding overheard mic here] to my small arsenal. I'd like to go with a Recorderman-type set up and add kick and snare. Also been thinking about which to use the Pacifica on, overheads or kick/snare? I have an awesome drummer with a really nice kit at my disposal so all I need to do is mike it. Thanks.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'd personally use the Pacifica on your overheads with the pearlman and baby bottle. I'd use the FF800 pre's for kick, snare & toms. For kick i'd use a combo of the 58 and MXL mic (58 up on the beater and have the MXL back picking up the thump). Snare would be the 57. I'd spend most of my time getting the best balance of the kit with just the overheads and kick first, then move on to the rest of the kit.

good luck.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Also AT4047's are great for overheads if your looking for a pair of something. I like how they take the edge off of cymbals and have great somewhat dark mids if that makes sense.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaytex View Post
I'd personally use the Pacifica on your overheads with the pearlman and baby bottle. I'd use the FF800 pre's for kick, snare & toms. For kick i'd use a combo of the 58 and MXL mic (58 up on the beater and have the MXL back picking up the thump). Snare would be the 57. I'd spend most of my time getting the best balance of the kit with just the overheads and kick first, then move on to the rest of the kit.

good luck.
Interesting, thanks. How important are matched pairs? I would love to utilize the Pearlman and Baby Bottle but didn't know if that would be an issue for stereo overheads.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Sometimes I like mics as unmatched as I can get. As in using 2 completely different brands for my overheads. I've learned that the human brain percieves things differently than we would think. Having 2 different yet the same things going on in each ear can be very cool by the time the brains sums it all together. I call it ear candy.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaytex View Post
Sometimes I like mics as unmatched as I can get. As in using 2 completely different brands for my overheads. I've learned that the human brain percieves things differently than we would think. Having 2 different yet the same things going on in each ear can be very cool by the time the brains sums it all together. I call it ear candy.
Good stuff...thanks so much for your help!
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

WORD!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search