The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic cables Summing Mixers
Old 11th September 2007
  #31
Lives for gear
As long as the raw cable is appropriate and is wired properly to the connectors, it really doesn't matter. We could sit here and split hairs about how different brands of cable sound different, but the fact of the matter is that moving the microphone less the 1 centimeter will make more of a difference in sound than a cable will.

If you make your own cables, you will notice that more expensive cable is much nicer to work with though.

And Hosa cables are most definitely crap. Not the wire itself, but the molded connectors are almost guaranteed to fail. Usually sooner than later. I happen to have a ****load of Hosa cable that I've accumulated over the years, and lots of it has new connectors.

The best cheap-ass pre-made cable I've found are the XLRs from Orangecountyspeaker.com. Just FYI.
Old 19th October 2007
  #32
Gear Addict
 
primemeat64's Avatar
 

From what I can see, mogami and canare make very good cables. I'm not confident enough on soldering at the moment to terminate these cables - does anywhere in the UK or anywhere that ships to the uk do the above cables already terminated to xlr male / femal (standard mic lead)??

Any help would be most appreciated thanks!
Old 19th October 2007
  #33
Lives for gear
 
James Lehmann's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaudio View Post
any decent cable, with decent connectors and properly assembled will sound exactly the same as any other and anyone that says any different is deluding both themselves and anyone gullible enough to be taken in by it 100% - and don't bother replying with 'I can prove it' because you cannot, plain and simple
A classic Troll post if ever I saw one - designed to stir up trouble for the sake of it.

How can you presume to hear sound though my or anyone else's ears?

Have you tested every single cable out there?

The answers are - you can't and you haven't.

By all means state your own opinion, but to charge in and start accusing people who hold a different opinion of being 'deluded' and 'gullible' is both patronising and rude.
Old 19th October 2007
  #34
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaudio View Post
any decent cable, with decent connectors and properly assembled will sound exactly the same as any other and anyone that says any different is deluding both themselves and anyone gullible enough to be taken in by it 100% - and don't bother replying with 'I can prove it' because you cannot, plain and simple

DIY your own, it's very simple - and never, ever pay $45 for a name printed on the side of a bit of generic cable


WEll, I thought just like you and then I ordered a set of Tara Labs cables for my monitor speakers....it DOES make a difference and you can hear it!
Old 19th October 2007
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Meriphew's Avatar
 

If you need good mic cables (or any good cables), I recommend contacting Redco Audio and having them make you some. Better prices, great cables, and great service.
Old 19th October 2007
  #36
Lives for gear
 
KEYBEEETSSS's Avatar
 

Mogami & monster cables are my way of work....no hums, noise, hiss.....love it.....
Old 19th October 2007
  #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Santillan View Post
Someone already suggested making your own cables if you have soldering skills and patience because it's cheaper(and in my opinion a good learning experience). They didn't tell you how much cheaper it was though. I bought enough cable to make 12 25' mogami(2549) cables and the neutrik connectors for 18 bucks a piece.
TOTALLY... I just made some bright red 25' mogami cables with the black and gold neutrik XLR connectors. I saw the same cable (in black) at guitar center for $55 in the expensive mic case. I made mine for 20 bucks each I think.

So the choice seems more like pay 25 bucks for a crappy mic cable at a local store or make your own super fancy mic cable for slightly less. But when I started out I did use $5 mic cables. On ebay they have this 8 25' mic cables for $45 deal. The cables aren't so bad. I would say get those, and after you record your next band, use the money to get all mogami mic cables that will last a long time and sound good too

Last edited by 6dyslexicelephnt; 19th October 2007 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 19th October 2007
  #38
Gear Addict
 
primemeat64's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6dyslexicelephnt View Post
I thought that I had attained such a precise ear that I could detect my ear's own self noise! My doctor told me it was, in fact, tinnitus.
- now THATS f*ckin funny.

What's making your own leads like? earlier I asked about buying some mogami or canare's ready made up (not sure where to get them?) - I said earleir I wasn't confident about my soldering - that's not true - I'm fine with soldering - just never done cables.

Any good tutorials or step-by-steps?
Old 19th October 2007
  #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
A classic Troll post if ever I saw one - designed to stir up trouble for the sake of it.

How can you presume to hear sound though my or anyone else's ears?

Have you tested every single cable out there?

The answers are - you can't and you haven't.

By all means state your own opinion, but to charge in and start accusing people who hold a different opinion of being 'deluded' and 'gullible' is both patronising and rude.


And you sound a bit like a troll here too.

While he was a little overstated, anybody who hears distinct differences in line-level balanced cables or short mic cables managed to find at least one really bad one.




-tINY

Old 20th October 2007
  #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by primemeat64 View Post
What's making your own leads like? earlier I asked about buying some mogami or canare's ready made up (not sure where to get them?) - I said earleir I wasn't confident about my soldering - that's not true - I'm fine with soldering - just never done cables.

Any good tutorials or step-by-steps?
It's super duper easy. You go to redco and get the basic mogami mic cable. It's .62 for the W2549 which is the standard cable. Get a cool color. It's linked on the home page. Then you get the Neutrik m and f ends. I got the NC3MX-B which is the nicest one (gold instead of silver contacts) but the others work fine too. The hardest part is ordering. Assembly is pretty self explanatory. Put the plastic sheath on, solder on to the metal parts ground, pos, neg for pins 1 2 3 respectively. It doesn't matter what color you use for what pin but be consistant. Put the metal part over that and screw it together with the plastic part. Some people are into certain types of solder but I just used the regular 60/40 rosin core soldier for electronics.

It's one of the most fun, easy and cost effective DIY projects. Go for it!
Old 20th October 2007
  #41
Gear Addict
 
primemeat64's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6dyslexicelephnt View Post
It's super duper easy. You go to redco and get the basic mogami mic cable. It's .62 for the W2549 which is the standard cable. Get a cool color. It's linked on the home page. Then you get the Neutrik m and f ends. I got the NC3MX-B which is the nicest one (gold instead of silver contacts) but the others work fine too. The hardest part is ordering. Assembly is pretty self explanatory. Put the plastic sheath on, solder on to the metal parts ground, pos, neg for pins 1 2 3 respectively. It doesn't matter what color you use for what pin but be consistant. Put the metal part over that and screw it together with the plastic part. Some people are into certain types of solder but I just used the regular 60/40 rosin core soldier for electronics.

It's one of the most fun, easy and cost effective DIY projects. Go for it!
Thanks man I think I will! - is it easy to ensure durability i.e. stress relief / shrink wrap or something? - also, will they end up just as good as say a ready made top of the line zoalla? - Part of me is drawn in by the fact that they even use their own f & m xlr terminations but then part of me thinks that's typical manufacturer hype....
Old 20th October 2007
  #42
Gear Addict
 
primemeat64's Avatar
 

Erm.... Redco post to England but its about $70!! - What options do I have here?
Old 20th October 2007
  #43
Lives for gear
 
fuzzface777's Avatar
 

As I was told, for balanced cable there isn't much of a difference. In fact, James Randi has a challenge with a reward if anyone can prove that most expensive speaker cable ($ 9500F). For inst. cable, UNbalanced, there are difference albeit subtle. Most differences are difference types of HF roll-off.stike
Old 20th October 2007
  #44
Lives for gear
 
Meriphew's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by primemeat64 View Post
Erm.... Redco post to England but its about $70!! - What options do I have here?
Didn't know you were in England. This is one reason people should list their location in their profile.
Old 21st October 2007
  #45
Elk
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6dyslexicelephnt View Post
It's super duper easy. You go to redco and get the basic mogami mic cable. It's .62 for the W2549 which is the standard cable. Get a cool color. It's linked on the home page. Then you get the Neutrik m and f ends. I got the NC3MX-B which is the nicest one (gold instead of silver contacts) but the others work fine too. The hardest part is ordering. Assembly is pretty self explanatory. Put the plastic sheath on, solder on to the metal parts ground, pos, neg for pins 1 2 3 respectively. It doesn't matter what color you use for what pin but be consistant. <snip>
The Mogami cable has four internal wires. What do you do with the "extra" wire?

And what about the shield that runs between the outer casing and the four internal wires?? Is this wired to the ground pin with the ground?
Old 24th October 2007
  #46
Gear Addict
 
primemeat64's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
Didn't know you were in England. This is one reason people should list their location in their profile.
Sorry! Rectified now! - I've been complacent on forum profiles as some days I see it as a waste of time! - I can see now that sometimes it's worthwhile!

So, I'm confident to have a go at making my own cables.

I like the idea of the cordless iron which has just come out (I know it's not a new concept - I'm simply reffering to a latest offering)... Modpro MP-61 Cordless 6W Soldering Iron - Tools and Accessories - RCMODS - Electric RC Helicopter Specialists - I realise it's cheap - will it suffice? I'm not going to be soldering every day!

Also, does it matter what solder I get so long as its 2% silver?

And..err..the important bit! - Where in the UK can I get mogami or canare cable (quad is better right?)...are there any differences between mogami & canare or are they the same?

Sorry for all the questions here but I suppose your help will stretch to anybody who reads this thread!

Thanks
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
BigJunk / So much gear, so little time
15
Almost Human / So much gear, so little time
65
pan60 / High end
3
RecTeach / So much gear, so little time
3
Almost Human / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump