The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Picked up a "vintage" Squire P Bass. Need Serial # help Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Picked up a "vintage" Squire P Bass. Need Serial # help

It says "Made In Korea" The serial starts with S 916.....

From what I could find on the net, S means seventies and the first # represents the year..in this case 9. That puts it at 1979.

From what I understand, the older Squires used a lot more fender parts than the newer ones. Does that sound about right?

Was 125 with a hard case a good deal???

Thanks.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyrich View Post
It says "Made In Korea" The serial starts with S 916.....

From what I could find on the net, S means seventies and the first # represents the year..in this case 9. That puts it at 1979.

From what I understand, the older Squires used a lot more fender parts than the newer ones. Does that sound about right?

Was 125 with a hard case a good deal???

Thanks.
Hmm. That doesn't seem right to me. The 70's Fender Squire line was made in Japan. They kept it there until sometime in the mid to late 80's. They moved to Korea at that time and they offered Squire guitars and basses for $179.99 and $199.99.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm not sure. I called Fender. They have records going back to the late 80's. They said that there was no serial that started with S in their records. They have no records before then.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

ah..

Who knows if this is right, but I found this on wikipedia:

"The S and E serial number prefix Korean Squiers seem to be from the late 1980s/early 1990s and not before 1987/1988 and don't seem to have a reliable serial number dating system. Fender was changing Squier production to different countries at the time. Some Squier II's were made in India around 1989-1990."
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

fender started off-shoring its guitars in 1984 when they went to japan. it was the late 80s/early 90s where korea came into the picture. i've got an 83 strat, which was the last year they made em in Fullerton.

in your case, the S in your serial number stands for "Squier", not "Seventies". there is no "US made" serial number which starts with "S", which is what Fender is talking about.

cheers,
wade
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Who knows if this is right, but I found this on wikipedia:

"The S and E serial number prefix Korean Squiers seem to be from the late 1980s/early 1990s and not before 1987/1988 and don't seem to have a reliable serial number dating system. Fender was changing Squier production to different countries at the time. Some Squier II's were made in India around 1989-1990."
That's what I thought.

That bass probably sold for around $179.99 at all the major retailers of the day. For a while, they were made of plywood. Not alder, maple, basswood or ash, but plywood.

Good luck.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Ah well. Doesn't seem like a bad deal anyhow. I don't play. It's for folks coming in to the studio to use if they have crappy crap. I think maybe I should put on some flat wounds and call it good enough!! Besides, everything sounds good through a Sansamp, right?
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
For a while, they were made of plywood. Not alder, maple, basswood or ash, but plywood.
indeed they were.

IMO, it's the ones that read "crafted in japan" that are the ones to look for. although a friend has a korean made acoustic and it sounds pretty durn good.

cheers,
wade
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

What are we coming to when we call a Fender Squire Bass of any year "Vintage"?
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Based on my early, yet incorrect, infomation; I thought it was from 1979. That's almost 30 years. I'd call that vintage..but that's just me.

How about

"I got this seemingly older squire bass. Could you help me figure out how old this horrible crap is?"

Sorry I didn't phrase it the form of a slut.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Based on my early, yet incorrect, infomation; I thought it was from 1979. That's almost 30 years. I'd call that vintage..but that's just me.

How about

"I got this seemingly older squire bass. Could you help me figure out how old this horrible crap is?"

Sorry I didn't phrase it the form of a slut.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset and I can see how it would be taken that way, forgive me.

Barry

Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I buy Japanese Squier Strats whenever I see them. For whatever reason I like them a lot.

The serial numbers are "SQ" followed by five digits. Seems they're '81 or '82.

They're three-bolt, large headstock strats. The wood is great. Basswood rather than alder. The fretwork is great too. The electronics are weak so I gut them.
Attached Thumbnails
Picked up a "vintage" Squire P Bass. Need Serial # help-black3.jpg   Picked up a "vintage" Squire P Bass. Need Serial # help-white3.jpg  
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
I buy Japanese Squier Strats whenever I see them. For whatever reason I like them a lot.

The serial numbers are "SQ" followed by five digits. Seems they're '81 or '82.

They're three-bolt, large headstock strats. The wood is great. Basswood rather than alder. The fretwork is great too. The electronics are weak so I gut them.
Those guitars absolutely ROCK. MUCH better than the American made Fender Strats of the day and the 3-bolt micro-tilt is awesome.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search