The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 550A (re-issue) 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

API 550A (re-issue)

With the discontinued production of the 550A- (re-issue) will it's value (dollar or, otherwise) go up. or??? The new (SW 550A) is so much more $$$. (obviously a collectors piece) but, from what I've read, the same exact EQ (build wise) and, the new replacement model (with pcb) will probably have a different sound, me thinks.

I would assume this change was for a more affordable 550A? your thoughts... ? ? ? -klauth.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauth View Post
With the discontinued production of the 550A- (re-issue) will it's value (dollar or, otherwise) go up. or??? .
It will all depend on how the new standard 550A sounds. If the only true change is just the switches, I personally can't see why this would alter the sound. But who knows, something else under the hood could be different as well, something that might actually have a noticeable effect on the sound.

What about the 550A that resides in the 7600 channel strip box? What type of switches does that have? Has anyone ever compared the reissue 550A module to the 550A in the 7600? This might give you a clue as to what to expect.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

It's somewhat unfortunate to see an end to the traditional 550A. Handwired switches are part of the classic 550A design, and that's quite a price increase for the SW edition. I think the 1608 is the driving force behind the cheaper 550A... probably intended to keep console production expenses down.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I hope they don't go up. I still need to fill my lunchbox
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

Makes me wonder if there will be changes in the 550b or, 560 ?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search