The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Describe the Trident 80 sound. Consoles
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
It sounds like Nigella Lawson... rather large but perfectly proportioned bottom end and articulate up top..
Haha!
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've owned 5 Trident 80's and it's funny, many of the words used to describre the sound in this thread I would never have used. Puffy? What? But that's just it, it's subjective. I would agree with anyone who says agressive and some edge without going too far.
It's not just rock these are great on, they are great on everything. I always tell people when I started buying up Tridents, they found me, I didnt find them. I looked at records I was listening to and found out...oh gee another album done on a Trident.
BTW I have an 80b with Audiomate moving fader automation for sale currently so bring your checkbook, I have a remote truck to buy.heh
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I agree . . . I have NEVER worked on a Trident 80 series of any sort that sounded "poofy" or many of the other descriptions I'm reading here. If I remember, a lot of Mellencamps records like Scarecrow etc were recorded and mixed on a Trident 80 series (though I may be wrong about which ones) . . . I would say that is FAR fron 'poofy" etc
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

puffy lol
haha
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdrecordings View Post
kind of like a dirty Neve.thumbsup

I would like to order one dirty Neve Campbell circa 1998 Wild Things for here please.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_subsonic View Post
I bought back this thread ... Just because ...

Firstly, this man deserves a Pint for this eloquent descriptor of the Series 80 sound. And I've noticed that she has gotten a bit rounder .. More Buxom even?

To JSLStrat. I'm assuming you own/have owned or are working on an older model 80B. True? I was interested in a lot of your comments. I had a TS (65/75) Series desk for a number of years. I modded it up to a point. I don't have it anymore. I'm now looking around again at either Trident 80 or 70 Series, or TriMix desks. The problems with Power Supplies seems to be true across the board for all Trident consoles. It could also reflect the age of the components, particularly if recapping hasn't taken place.

I'd imagine the patch bays could being a source of problems if they weren't in good condition, similar to Molex connectors in MCI's. Any experience with this? Fiddly from a fault/maintenance perspective? As to the differences between older 80's and later 80 B/C desks, any observations on this? Did you ever get the opportunity to compare mixes on them both in any way? I'd like to hear any comparisons you could make. Seems like Trident was on the slide of diminishing returns at the time that led to the "budget" design of the TS/65/75 Series desks. Unfortunately not their "Golden Hour" .. . The comment about the 80's is hilariously spot-on when reflecting on the avalanche of dreck crossover pop/dance music at the time.

Dude, we're actually ALL Mind Readers. Fagedaboutit.

Cheers RAy
Hey Ray,Regarding patch bay..Mine is hard wired from cards to the mother board. Never any problems! I know some of the 80 series had cards that had edge connectors.Some people mention these can have intermittent problems.

Regarding the 80 series Trident I would make sure it is a early 80B with the BD series 517/ 518/519 transistors. They are on all of the chips and help drive 600 ohm loads very easy.I
have recapped my console. Added Uptown 990 fader automation. New switch caps,cleaned etc...I am fortunate to have some skills to do most of the maintenance. You should find Dave from advanced audio...He maintained two Trident 80B consoles and knows many of the plus sides of these desk...I play guitar first and foremost.Heavy guitar stuff..Its the best eq for heavy Strat/Marshall sounds..IMHO I would get one..It will be much more then the series you had before. Merry Xmas......
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Head

Interesting thread. How do the smaller Trimix compare to the 80 series?
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
I agree . . . I have NEVER worked on a Trident 80 series of any sort that sounded "poofy" or many of the other descriptions I'm reading here. If I remember, a lot of Mellencamps records like Scarecrow etc were recorded and mixed on a Trident 80 series (though I may be wrong about which ones) . . . I would say that is FAR fron 'poofy" etc
All well and good but the dude sported a KILLER mullet in those days so that surely discounts everything?.. i mean only Billy Ray CYRUS has surpassed it since..

Wiggy
hehhehhehhehhehheh
Old 24th December 2010
I find that it sounds similar to the Trident 80 boards, but slightly more Trident 80'ish.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I really really love the wonderful wreck that is my 72 input trident 24. The eq is fantastic. I don't think they ever made a good power supply on any of those boards though.

I have heard really really impressive head shredding punchy mixes come off of a 80b. It is a contender for the great boards like neves and such. I haven't heard great mixes like that come out of my t24 but it still is a great noisy beast.

I had a custom powersupply built for it by a good company and if you pm me I can walk you through that. It is a beautiful old board.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by firby View Post
I really really love the wonderful wreck that is my 72 input trident 24. The eq is fantastic. I don't think they ever made a good power supply on any of those boards though.

I have heard really really impressive head shredding punchy mixes come off of a 80b. It is a contender for the great boards like neves and such. I haven't heard great mixes like that come out of my t24 but it still is a great noisy beast.

I had a custom powersupply built for it by a good company and if you pm me I can walk you through that. It is a beautiful old board.
ITs like Brian Roth once said: "The "fancy-pants" audio designers couldn't lower themselves to something as mundane as power supply designs, so they left that task to.....The Summer Interns!"
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

John's hair was "poofy" but not the sound of those records
*smile*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
All well and good but the dude sported a KILLER mullet in those days so that surely discounts everything?.. i mean only Billy Ray CYRUS has surpassed it since..

Wiggy
hehhehhehhehhehheh
Old 6th March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
the 80s series is the same as a s20 preamp, very warm but great detail, the only thing i really do not like is a bass guitar through one. As far as your API i think the Trident is a tad better but then again the API is better on other instruments, just depends. I really like Trident on drums and electric guitars.heh
the s20 rack preamp is NOT AT ALL like the 80b preamp. the s20 has no transformers in or out! also the s20 uses an old 90s opamp the ssm2017 which was not even around in the early 80s for the 80b! 80b uses totally different IC's and way more of them, but also the transformers make the sound, without them alot is missing. They are nothing at all alike. Also the s20 has the most stupid row of amber LEDs across the front vent holes, to make it look as it there are tubes in there glowing? Trident never used tubes! Rediculous. It was an overpriced staple product at GC back in the 90s, aimed at such users who know no better and judge by looks. All it is a simple basic semi cleanish 90s two IC preamp and nothing else. The ssm2017 was harsh too unless dealt with to compensate. The later ssm2019 was better

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search