The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Discontinuing Apoge Minime Audio Interfaces
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Discontinuing Apoge Minime

Hi all,

I seem to hear rumours everywhere Apogee is going to discontinue the Mini Me.

- Does anybody have a reliable source of this?

- If it does so, can someone give me advice on a similar product? I own a 002R, and the Mini ME seemed a good investment, as I wanted to improve pre and AD/DA without a hughe investment.

Thanks

Brett
Old 5th September 2007
DAS
Gear Head

It is true, according to Max at Apogee. They became too expensive to build and hit the price point. There is no direct replacement for your application. They are recommending users employ the Ensemble instead, which now has a stand-alone mode and (according to them) sounds just as good, if not better.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I emailed them about this a few days ago, and yes, it's discontinued. The person I spoke to said that he couldn't comment on replacements (company policy of course) and that they will never drop support for it.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

what a bummer. I don't need that much channels as the ensemble, and the cost is off course a lot more.

Is it ridiculous stupid to pick one up in a store stock somewhere? If Apogee garantuees me continued support.....
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Brett,

I thought about the same thing. The only reason I've held off is because they might release something better for the same price to replace it. But I've not heard anything about it... I really can't decide if I'm going to go pick one up or not!
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

well, those of you who are looking, keep your eyes on the classifieds around here as they pop up every couple months, and usually for a pretty great price. that's where i got mine last summer.

just grab the drivers that work for your machine and go from there. i don't think the "current" minime drivers are particularly "new" anyway (mine date from 2004) and they're rock solid. and to tell the truth, i find that most of the time i run mine as a master clock and use the spdiff output rather than the USB for audio......

great little units (LOVE the comp/limiter) and i can totally see how apogee's not getting their money back out of making them (especially when they have to compete with mid-bottom feeder stuff like the firebox at a ridiculous pricepoint).

my only complaint is that it can't be bus powered. i'd pay to get that upgrade put in. heh

cheers,
wade
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

The mic amps on the mini me are seriously good.

J
Old 7th September 2007
Here for the gear

OK, so now it's pretty clear why the Mini-Me is discontinued:

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/duet.php
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

The mini me is a great piece of hardware with excellent pres and a/d. If you can get your hands on a used on go for it. I guess the manifacturing cost of it is too much for Apogee to keep making them.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Wow, the Duet looks sweet. Good watching out Beagle1.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

---------------- Listening to: Fabolous Ft. Young Jeezy - Diamonds (Instrumental) via FoxyTunes

Yea No More parts from their supplier thats why.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

The Duet looks really sweet, and the price? Oh my...
Old 27th January 2008
Gear Head

damn

The duet doesn’t have softlimit, digital in and outs etc etc etc etc etc
and so many more etc's!

wtf is apogee thinking?
Just raise the price instead of lowering it like they did the last year of selling it.
Now IF the duet had insert points before the ad section so you could use a limiter or compressor, for flavour or whatever, THEN I and so many more with me would run to the stores.
Add direct hardware monitoring to blend the signal going in with the one going out and that would seal the deal.
The duet is nowhere near the mini-me and at the prize point it’s not supposed to either.

They should have released an updated version of the mini-me with some added features (although I can’t think of any right now) and then charged accordingly!

My 2 cents and 15000 Swedish kronor =)
Old 27th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andytheswede View Post
T

Bloody hell! Is the exchange rate that bad?

Stephen (in Lönneberga)

The Duet has the same preamps as the Ensemble btw.

Last edited by Stephen Bennett; 28th January 2008 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: Mis-naming of product!
Old 27th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Brett,
If you can't find a used Mini Me (which may be your best option) you may want to take a look at the API A2D. A bit more than the Mini Me but GREAT unit and great price for what you get. Better mic pres and perhaps better converters (I've never A/B'd them)
Do you use Pro Tools with your 002 or a different DAW?

SG
Old 27th January 2008
Gear Head

But its 2 totally different pieces of equipment!
The minime is a soundcard for once, while the api is “just” an ad converter.

They are not even close to being similar other than the fact that they’ve both got preamps and ad chips.
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Old 27th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:

They are not even close to being similar other than the fact that they’ve both got preamps and ad chips.
Well.....
Yes, two different pieces of equipment that when combined with his 002R (already in use) will achieve just what he asked (except improved D/A). He wanted better Pres and conversion. In this case, if one were OK without additional D/A, you could get really nice pres and A/D far superior to the 002R.

(And as I said IF he cannot locate a MiniMe.)

If he uses Pro Tools, the interface circuitry of the Mini-me will be unused anyway. How are they sooooooo different in this application other than the D/A? If the user is really into good Mic pres the API may be something to hold onto more so than the MiniMe.
SG
Old 28th January 2008
Gear Head

mm true
Old 28th January 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bennett View Post
The Mini-me has the same preamps as the Ensemble btw.
You mean the Duet rather than the Mini-me there (just to clear up any possible confusion).

The Ensemble is now the unit you'd want if you wanted to get an Apogee unit with inserts before the AD, digital IO etc, and very nice it is too, search around you should be able to pick one up for the $1600 range with some careful bargaining, and for the extra that it offers it's well worth it. I still think the Duet it pretty damn nice though.
Old 28th January 2008
Gear Head

just to bad the Ensemble unit is a large chunk of metal to carry around
Old 28th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

The Mini-me will never have a soundcard driver that works for Vista. Most of us will be working in Vista at some point. You cannot get the Mini-me to work in Vista.
The other thing is that you have to have the Mini-DAC for D/A. I think the API 2D is a good suggestion since the poster talks about wantnig a converter.
A regular old mini-me on ebay is a steal and works very well in combination with the mini-dac. One thing to remember about the mini-me, it has to be the master. It has no wordclock input.
Old 28th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
You mean the Duet rather than the Mini-me there (just to clear up any possible confusion).

Indeed - what a doofus...(me that is)

Edited above to avoid confusion but left here to remind me to treble check my posts..........

Stephen
Old 29th January 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by feyshay View Post
The Mini-me will never have a soundcard driver that works for Vista. Most of us will be working in Vista at some point. You cannot get the Mini-me to work in Vista.
The other thing is that you have to have the Mini-DAC for D/A. I think the API 2D is a good suggestion since the poster talks about wantnig a converter.
A regular old mini-me on ebay is a steal and works very well in combination with the mini-dac. One thing to remember about the mini-me, it has to be the master. It has no wordclock input.

It would have a driver for vista if they didnt drop the product man!

You do not need mini-dac for monitoring
Old 29th January 2008
Max
Lives for gear

Quote:
The duet doesn’t have softlimit, digital in and outs etc etc etc etc etc
and so many more etc's!
Ensemble

Quote:
wtf is apogee thinking?
Ensemble

Quote:
Just raise the price instead of lowering it like they did the last year of selling it.
Ensemble is less $$ than the price of a Mini-Me + Mini-DAC + FW card. You get better A/D, better mic pre's 6 more channels of I/O inserts, ADAT, multiple monitor mixes, surround outputs, integration with the Mac, Stand alone mode, etc. etc. etc.

Quote:
Now IF the duet had insert points before the ad section so you could use a limiter or compressor, for flavour or whatever, THEN I and so many more with me would run to the stores.
Ensemble. Get those Nike's on!!

Quote:
Add direct hardware monitoring to blend the signal going in with the one going out and that would seal the deal.
The duet is nowhere near the mini-me and at the prize point it’s not supposed to either.
They should have released an updated version of the mini-me with some added features (although I can’t think of any right now) and then charged accordingly!

Ensembl.....er, you get the point
Old 29th January 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Ensemble

Ensemble

Ensemble is less $$ than the price of a Mini-Me + Mini-DAC + FW card. You get better A/D, better mic pre's 6 more channels of I/O inserts, ADAT, multiple monitor mixes, surround outputs, integration with the Mac, Stand alone mode, etc. etc. etc.

Ensemble. Get those Nike's on!!

Ensembl.....er, you get the point
yeas,all true!

and when i think of big,big,big,big,big and BIG

Ensemble

and when i think of ONLY mac drivers

Ensemble

you get my point max?
Old 29th January 2008
Max
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeas,all true!

and when i think of big,big,big,big,big and BIG

Ensemble

and when i think of ONLY mac drivers

Ensemble

you get my point max?
So when you think of Ensemble, you think of "Big" and "Mac"... Big Mac! Got it!

Anyone else hungry?

Seriously, discontinuation of the Mini-Me had nothing to do with Duet. It had everything to do with legacy components that were no longer readily available and the cost of getting them second hand was too much to continue making the product.

Ensemble is a great alternative for a bit more money. Yes its bigger, yes its Mac only, but its the best all-in-one 8 channel Firewire interface ever. (not that I'm biased) So you carry a bit more around, but you get a lot more for it.

Good trade off, if you ask me.
Old 29th January 2008
Gear Head

Still far too big for me and many others, and no drivers for windows.

And so we have to look for replacement gear from other manufactures. And there is no REALLY sufficient replacement gear to the mini-me. Everything else I’ve tried is a compromise.

Don’t get me wrong, the ensemble is a great unit.
But I , and so may others with me, would pay even the same money ,as for the ensemble, just to have a “mini-me ensemble”.

Then again strip away 2 preamps and almost all of the analogue ins and outs and you have a replacement for the mini-me.
And when one needs more ins and outs(or more preamps) one simply just add it and connect the gear digitally.
Weren’t the sales number for the mini-me good enough or what?
I am seriously curious
Old 13th March 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Still far too big for me and many others, and no drivers for windows.

And so we have to look for replacement gear from other manufactures. And there is no REALLY sufficient replacement gear to the mini-me. Everything else I’ve tried is a compromise.

Don’t get me wrong, the ensemble is a great unit.
But I , and so may others with me, would pay even the same money ,as for the ensemble, just to have a “mini-me ensemble”.

Then again strip away 2 preamps and almost all of the analogue ins and outs and you have a replacement for the mini-me.
And when one needs more ins and outs(or more preamps) one simply just add it and connect the gear digitally.
Weren’t the sales number for the mini-me good enough or what?
I am seriously curious

I second this.

Why do windows lose out.

Cmon guys.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search