The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Magnus organ tuning question
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

Magnus organ tuning question

Hello Gearslutz!

This is my first post here(being a long time lurker), so please be gentle with me...

I got an absolutely wonderful Magnus organ on a fleamarket a while ago. It´s one of these guys:

http://www.santafeband.com/mco.jpg

It sounds fantastic on its own, but unfortunately about a quarter tonestep wrong which makes it practically unusable together with properly tuned instruments.
Does anyone have a clue how to get these things in tune? I´ve searched the net but come up with nothing.

I´d be very thankful for any help...

Thanks!
Peter
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I believe it's got reeds that are driven by a fan. In that case, you're gonna either have to tune to it or sample it or pitch shift the track.

It would be something like trying to tune a harmonica.

They sound charming, though.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I've got one too. I usually pitch shift it when I record it. Nice sound though.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

Thanks a lot guys!

Ok, that´s what I suspected. I´m using samples that I´ve made of it and works quite nicely. I wanted to use it on an upcoming live session, however, so I was hoping there was something I had missed. No such luck though, it seems...

Also, the sound of those chord buttons layered with one of the ordinary keys is just magic, and it´s hard to achieve the same interaction effect with the samples, sadly...

Anyways, thank you so much for your replys! Most appreciated.

Cheers,
Peter
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

To tune it you will have to file the reeds I imagine it could be tricky
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Head

Redroom,

Yeah, that sounds a bit tricky indeed. And I wouldn´t want to risk doing any permanent damage to it...

Thanks,

Peter
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

If the fan driven organ is sharp, you could plug the organ into a variac and lower the voltage which would in turn slow the fan speed down. It's a thought I've had that seems to make sense in my head, but it might not work.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattallen View Post
If the fan driven organ is sharp, you could plug the organ into a variac and lower the voltage which would in turn slow the fan speed down. It's a thought I've had that seems to make sense in my head, but it might not work.
I think this would work on a tonewheel organ like a Hammond, but not on a chord organ.

I always wondered if you have to change the pulley on your Hammond when you go from a 50Hz to a 60Hz country.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattallen View Post

I´ve been thinking about this too! It just seems odd it would be sharp -it is indeed sharp- out of the factory, so I was thinking it might somehow be due to voltage differences between countries...or something. I´m crap at understanding those kind of things. And like Max said, I guess it really doesn´t make much sense since it would only be affecting the fan-speed.

Thanks guys,
Peter
Old 18th August 2010
Here for the gear

Tune the chord organ by filing the reeds or send to an accordion shop.

Hi peter a:

How is it going with the chord organ? Let me know and please provide a new link to the picture because the old link is dead. What model is your Magnus?

Yes you will have to file the reeds.

Varying the fan speed will have no effect on the pitch. Think of an accordionist that is constantly varying the air pressure with the bellows yet the accordion always plays in tune. Lower air pressure=lower volume, but if the air pressure is not enough the reeds won't sound clearly or at all.

My chord organ was also sharp and you're right, that's unexpected but I guess it happens.

The best thing to do is disassemble the organ and send the reed blocks to an accordion repair shop for retuning. I just paid a local shop about $140 to totally tune my organ.

If you want to try it yourself, you may file the reeds out of shape and compromise their sound. You'll need a workbench to supply air to the reed block because it will be way too much work to try and use the organ to sound the reeds, you'd have to reassemble the organ scores of times. To make the reeds sharper, file the tip (the loose/vibratin end). To make them flatter, file them near the rivited end.

It's the same as tuning an accordion, so for info google that topic.

I just scored a Magnus model 549. That's an awesome organ because it includes bass notes, which very few chord organs include. They make it a lot of fun to play and you can get a great satisfying rhythm going with the left hand between the bass and the chords. For more info on this topic, search wiki for chord organ and then drill into the picture there of the model 890 until you get to the home page of the picture over on Wikicommons. Then you can hover your mouse over the organ and see comments I've posted.

Larry Brown
hehthumbsup
Old 18th August 2010
Lives for gear

This has absolutely nothing to do with his question, but as it is three years old anyway and has been brought back from the dead I don't feel bad about it.

Anyone else see Magnificent Orgasm and then have to do a double take to read Magnus Organ? hehhehheh
Old 12th January 2017
Here for the gear

I was able to tune a Magnus chord organ, but it tricky to get a hang of it. I removed to cover and the screws that hold the keys in place (that part is simple to do). After that I played a key (one hand holding the keys in the proper place and the other press the note that I was tuning) and tuned it. I had to file them down one by one. It took a while.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Jesus. Just tune the guide track to match the organ; and then detune the organ recording to match the natural guide track.

John Caldwell

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search