The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Want a new Mic :) Condenser Microphones
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Want a new Mic :)

I think I could use a couple new mics to add to my collection. But I want to spend like 500 or so each. And I don't want a sound I already have. Kinda want a LDC without alot of hype in the high end. Or even a really great dynamic that is natural sounding but alot different than my SM7. Something big and full. But natural sounding high end. And of course sitting well in a mix would be nice. Saves me work. Think I need a couple ribbons? Here is what I got:

6 Shure SM57
1 Shure SM58
1 Shure SM7B
2 Audio Technica 4033
1 Audio Technica 4054
1 Audio Technica 4050
1 Audio Technica ATM25
1 AKG Perception 200
1 Cad E100
1 Cad E200
1 Cad E300
1 Cad M9 Tube mic
2 Cad NDM10
1 Cad NDM11
1 Electrovoice PL76A
1 Electrovoice PL6
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Jim,
Is this a Marshall (MXL) mic? What other mics would you compare this one to?
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac
A used Sennheiser MD441 or two. Under $400 all the time on ebay and a killer all-purpose mic.

Michael
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

I can't find the tapeop article, but this sounds like a done deal anyway. I need a few utilitarian mics.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Sterling Audio ST-77, I swear to God. You won't regret it.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Seems like the SP1 is discontinued. :( Unless you would like to sell me a pair??

heh
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I got a nice Baby Bottle I never use anymore since I got the older brother (the Bottle). Might fill a hole in your current locker.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Oops actually the SP-1 is not discontinued they are back ordered. I called and they said they were due in yesterday. So I pre ordered a pair to check them out. Thanks Jim for the tip! I do remember reading about them from several different sources a while back.

Like most of my mics I use them on several things. Depends on the sound of the mic verses the source. So I could be using it for lead or backing vocals, toms, drum overheads, room mic. Never know...

I heard alot of good things about the Md441. I'll see if my rental place has one I can try out. A baby bottle sounds like something cool but it doesn't look durable enough to last around here lol! I can see the capsule swinging from the can at some point.
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks Jim Williams! I got 2 of those SP-1's and crap I can't believe they are only 40 bucks. Money very well spent. I haven't fully checked them out but initial testing surprised me.
And they look VERY easy to mod. I think I may have some wima's laying around here. I'll have to dig...

Thanks again,
John
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

Have you tried them as an outside kick mic? I'm thinking of getting one for this application to use in conjunction with a D112 and a 421.

At $40 They might do well as stereo room mics.
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

I haven't recorded with them yet but may talk my girlfriend into a vocal session tonight. I've only tested them into my Gyratec IX tube pre and sound great with just me singing and spoken voice. Nice big full bottom end. And seems relatively flat. So I would imagine they would sound great as drum overheads or in your outside kick placement. Also possibly a good VO mic too.
I'll know more by tomorrow I didn't try them in my other pres yet.

And I thought these were supposed to be plastic? The 2 I got are metal. Possibly the grills are plastic but hard to tell...
Old 5th October 2007
Gear Nut

check out cascade ribbon mics. under 500 for the most part and kickin'

Ribbon Microphones - Cascade Microphones
Old 20th November 2007
Gear Head

check out the se electronics, i gut the titan for arround 500$ used, but still 1000$ drop....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search