The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
events asp 8's - anyone mixing soft rock? Dynamics Plugins
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

events asp 8's - anyone mixing soft rock?

How's everyone doing? Just wondering who's using these to mix soft rock,i got a pair a couple months ago and really like them. Although, when i turn them off, one of the speakers gives a sorta bump-click sound, it doesn,t affect them in use, just wondering if this is normal, sounds like turning off a guitar amp or something. ? maybe just a powering down sound, although only one of the speakers does this. anyway, back to the issue. I've been mixing on these and seem to keep getting the lowend REALLY low, but not in a good way. To my ears, i mixed the drums and bass first, and thought i had achieved a really nice round, big sound, then dropped the other instruments in. Sounds nice in the studio, so i did a test mixdown (using cubase) and tried the mix in my car, home stereo, and mp3 player. JESUS!!!, This is nice, clean pop stuff I,m working on and it sounds like a drum and bass albulm. The low end was distorting out all my other test speakers. But on the events, it was nice and clean.Crystal clear. Also, do you find that these monitors seem to hide mids a little bit? Maybe my a/b test speakers have a little too much mid.Quite a contrast though. Couldn,t be happier with my purchase, it's just a learning curve at the moment, and i have made some sweet mixes already, but the pop stuff is deceving.The kick seems buried at the mix, but when mixed down, WOW! sounds like a hip hop albulm. Any pointers from folks that have been using these? All experiences welcome. Thanks a lot.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Couple of things. Make sure you get the adjustments on the back set correctly for your room. You will need a db meter. Don't mix within 3 feet of these, they don't even form a proper image until you are at least 4-5 feet back. That's the sweet spot.

They are accurate as can be and still surprise me with how easy it is to dial in a mix. I have had them for almost 2 years and still enjoy using them. I do not have the loud popping sound you are talking about. I do get a little pop when I turn them on but that's about it.

If you are in a room 12x10 or smaller, you need bass traps, at least 4 to even out the room response. That is all.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
Although, when i turn them off, one of the speakers gives a sorta bump-click sound
The same exact thing happens with one of mine. I bought mine used but it never effected the performance of the monitor so I'm not going to worry about it.

I've also noticed a deceptively bass-shy mix, until I reference outside of the studio. Then, the mix is also kick/bass heavy the same way you've experienced. I'm thinking it's my room and also my limited amount of mix time (2 test mixes so far) on the ASP8's. I've still got to "learn" them.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Oldone, my room is about 18 x 22' . Yep, i thought that was probablly the deal ( the sweet spot distance) I'm only about 2 feet away, but I,m working on taking care of that. Yea, stereo imaging is really nice with these.Could you expand on the db meter? The settings on the back are in a neutral position (12 o'clock), my room is square, and monitors are only about 7-8 inches from the wall behind them. They point towards the smaller length wall.
LaLaFav- yea, i think it;s just the sound of the amp shuting down, i don't worry about it either.Yea, it,s only a learning curve. A fun one!
Thanks guys.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
Yea, it,s only a learning curve. A fun one!
Hell yeah!
I'm keeping them for sure. They're much more enjoyable than the other monitors I've had in the past.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

[quote=steelyfan;1477936]Oldone, my room is about 18 x 22' . Yep, i thought that was probablly the deal ( the sweet spot distance) I'm only about 2 feet away, but I,m working on taking care of that. Yea, stereo imaging is really nice with these. 7-8 inches from the wall behind them.......

Hey Steelyfan

Your problem is mixing 2 feet away, and having the speakers 7 inches from teh wall-betya do not have bass traps behind?

In my situation the ASP 8's are about 7 foot away from my mix position, and right behind each event I have a massive, and I mean massive, corner bass trap about 6 foot high, and shaped to fit a deep corner -with massive amounts of glass in each bass trap.

Since using the events in my treated room the mixes translate spot on in terms of bass-what I am hearing in my control room I am hearing on other speakers in terms of bass when I play the mix ( in actual fact in my home lounge hi fi the bass mix sounds a little light)-but just right in car stereo . However, they are a tad dark on the high end, so on other speakers sometimes there can be a little brightness-but knowing that I now adjust the mix slightly.

I really like these speakers-if you get your mix sounding good on these they will translate (provided your room is properly bass trapped and your are mixing in the sweet spot).

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

yeah, this sounds much more like a room problem than the monitors themselves.

what kind of (and how much) bass trapping do you have in there?

and secondly, definitely back yourself up from the monitors. ASP8s are more like a mid-field monitor than a near field. i sit in a 6ft triangle with my asp8s, and i often pull back to 8 or 9 ft. the sweet spot on these things is huge.

oh, and mine "thump" a little when i turn em off too. nothing to worry about.

cheers,
wade
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Mine thump when I turn them off, but after about a month of owning them the thump on one got worse and worse. Then the one monitor went out intermintantly. Turned out it was a bad power supply. got a new one in there and it works great. If the thump is bad maybe thats your problem, if its just a little thump its fine.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search