The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who makes a good Firewire cable? Consoles
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Who makes a good Firewire cable?

I'm looking to replace the one that came with my M-Audio Lightbridge. I want a really short one that wont mess up the data at all. Any recommendations?
Old 5th September 2007
as far as I know this is not an issue

it's like a CD... it either plays or it doesn't. there isn't any quality lost with a crappy firewire cable unless the information is somehow not getting across
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I still wonder why no one (besides monster, but that goes without saying) is making a "pro audio" firewire cable. I just don't like the idea of the signal going through a 2 dollar cable. Does quality shielding or a heavier cable make a difference? What about the "skin effect"??
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Belkin makes very nice firewire 400 and 800 cables. Just don't buy them from the Apple store 'cause you'll pay more than anywhere else! ;p

And, contrary to the 15 foot firewire cables that Digi and RME ship with their interfaces, I've been told by a high-end manufacturer that only firewire cables of ~ 2 meters/ 6ft length or less should be used for optimum performance with FW based 24bit audio interfaces. However, I think that the previous statement doesn't apply to FW800 IIRC - which makes sense considering it's specs.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Planet Waves

I like these: Planet Waves Firewire

I should divulge that I am the Nashville Artist Relations guy for D'Addario/Planet Waves/Evans...but it still is an excellent cable!
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Lindy cables. I'm running one at twice the maximum theoretical length with zero problems. YMMV.
Old 5th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierce85 View Post
I still wonder why no one (besides monster, but that goes without saying) is making a "pro audio" firewire cable. I just don't like the idea of the signal going through a 2 dollar cable. Does quality shielding or a heavier cable make a difference? What about the "skin effect"??

I'll make some skin. Since you don't like your signal going through a $2 cable, I'll sell you one for $10 - and I'll discount the shipping some too.....

-tINY

Old 5th September 2007
Deleted User
It's a god damn digital cable dude.

The signal degradation is a non issue. So is skin effect. By the way, skin effect is a marketing fad and doesn't apply to frequencies under some MHZ!

You have 1 and -1 in your signal. And even if it becomes 0.998 because of some magical cable degradation, it will be still be read as ABOVE ZERO, so to speak.

So unless you wanna waste money....
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I Purchased an Oxigen Free FW cable its rated at 1600 that's twice the 800 of normal cables...

It wasn't cheap it was $600 per meter so my 3 meter one cost me $1800.

It's well worth it as the sound is now incredible....The top end has really opened up..

Ha Ha......only joking..
Old 5th September 2007
I got this siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick $300 "acustagoldmagictone" brand midi cable the other day. The fat cable really fattened up my tone!

Old 5th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwaps View Post
It's a god damn digital cable dude.

The signal degradation is a non issue. So is skin effect. By the way, skin effect is a marketing fad and doesn't apply to frequencies under some MHZ!

Actually, skin effect is in play in IEEE 1394 cables. But they are designed with this in mind....

-tINY

Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search