The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What plugs should I add to my UAD-1 Channel Strips
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

What plugs should I add to my UAD-1

I have a voucher for $150 currently. I have 3 Mackie cards so I have he 1176ln and the LA2A as well as Dreamverb, Fairchild, Plate 140, and Pultec Pro. Other bundles I have are the Waves SSL bundle and the complete URS package. Thinking of the Neve 88RS bundle or the Precision Multiband Comp. As far as hardware pre's go, I have the following: Neve 33114, 4 channels of Vintech X73, 2 API 512b, 2 Averill 312A, 2 Avalon 737sp's, and a UA 2-610. I dont really need to try to duplicate these with software. I do have a Distressor and a UA 1176ln hardware copms, but no outboard eq's. Maybe I should get the Cambridge eq that is supposed to be modeled after the Oxford eq. Any thoughts?
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

You should demo everything and see what you like. IMO the Cambridge kinda blows, the LA3A is really good though.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I really love the Roland bundle. They are often overlooked, but they are some of the best sounding and most fun plugs in the group. They are very creative and mostly unique in the plug-in world.

I own 4 UAD-1 cards and almost every single plug-in. I like almost all of them quite a bit. The software versions of the real hardware have their own flavor and uses. I have an 1176LN Blackface...I still use the UAD 1176 plug-in all of the time. They have different uses, different nuances, different sounds and different application possibilities.

If i had 2 1176s, I might use them on a stereo bus..but I don't. Thankfully the UAD-1 1176 plug operates in stereo and sounds very good!

My point (obviously)...don't worry too much about replication of hardware with software...they're not the same.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I just did a mix with the 88RS demo... Liked it a lot and then bought it..

Goes well next to the SSL plugs. Different sounding... Comp/EQ works well for what I used it on..and best part is it's easy on the CPU. I had a bunch going with 1176,LA2A, 140's.. I was able to to get a really good mix and not need to reach for as much Native plugs..

The 88 may not be great on everything... But I think it's a great tool to have.. If it sucked CPU up like the Neve comp I wouldn't have even tried the demo.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
I just did a mix with the 88RS demo... Liked it a lot and then bought it..

Goes well next to the SSL plugs. Different sounding... Comp/EQ works well for what I used it on..and best part is it's easy on the CPU. I had a bunch going with 1176,LA2A, 140's.. I was able to to get a really good mix and not need to reach for as much Native plugs..

The 88 may not be great on everything... But I think it's a great tool to have.. If it sucked CPU up like the Neve comp I wouldn't have even tried the demo.
When you say 'SSL plugs', do you mean the Duende?

I have a Duende as well. I demo'd the 88 and I liked it...not as much as the Duende CS, but it still was pretty darn good, and had a different enough flavor to make it worth having and using.

With the new UA promotion, I will be able to buy the 1081 and the 88 for US $100!! I'd be an idiot not too! ($50 voucher per card x my 4-cards + a $247 off coupon for any 2 Neve plugs = $447 off) hehhehheh

I guess that would leave me with only the Helios to buy. I didn't have time to learn to appreciate that one.

I think the bottom line is, with the UAD stuff, eventually you will have them all...even if you think you wont

I own and/or have used a LOT of plug-ins. i haven't used them all...no one has! But, of the hundreds and hundreds that I have used/demo'd/own(ed)/etc I find the UAD-1 plug-ins (next to the SSL Duende) about the most useful and best sounding of them all. (Still, the Duende beats out any ITB tool/plug I've ever used for what it does).

UA seems to be a good company too. Always running specials...good customer appreciation...and the 2 times I've needed support, I picked up the phone and my problems were solved in under a few hours. Oh, good hardware too!
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I vote for the 88RS ..I'll be ordering it in a few days ...$100 off
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

No sorry I meant Waves SSL... I already had the 1081. I was thinking of the Helios but I went for 1081 first.. I liked it on more things, So I figured I'd get that first. I did like the Helios on gtr's.. Maybe that will be next for me..
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear
I cashed in my $100 coupon today for the Boss CS-1. I already have LA2A, 1176LN, Fairchild, and Plate 140.

I know it seems stupid to do it without having even auditioned the plug, but I learned my lesson earlier: every time I used to audition a plug, I'd want to buy it so bad that it hurt. So now I don't even listen to the new ones.

I hope I'm happy with this one! (All of my other software choruses suck, so hopefully this will be a winner.)
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

I bought the 88RS 100$ off

nice console strip, getting into it now.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

**HIJACK ALERT**

The only UAD-1 plugs that I do not own are the Helios, Cambridge EQ and Dreamverb.

I remember being somewhat un-impressed when demoing the Helios. It was OK, certainly not bad, but not magic. It's not that every EQ needs to be 'magic', but when you model a venerable piece of hardware like that, it seems like it should have more impact.

Anyhow, my demos of the Cambridge and Dreamverb were years ago. I forget, completely how I felt about them or what they sounded like. I've read a ton of mixed reviews on the Cambridge EQ.

I know the Dreamverb is a 'glorified' Realverb Pro.

I'm stuck, now on what to buy. I suppose I can just wait until new plugs are released. The fabled Valley People models really intrigue me. I have a lot of the VP hardware and use it daily. There is, apparently, going to be a 'Precision Maximizer' released in the next round (4.8?). That doesn't sound too interesting, but you never know.

What would YOU do in my situation?

**SORRY FOR THE HIJACK!**
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

I own all but the Helios.

The 88RS is one of the most useful plugs I've ever encountered. It's got soul, but doesn't get in the way. I could do a whole mix with these and not complain.

The Roland stuff is nice, The Precision (Especially the MB) is nice, but I don't get as much mileage from them. Don't think they don't get used though!

The other Neves are great, but are PIGS DSP wise. I find my self freezing those tracks, and if I can't freeze I use the SE versions. Though a mix can get cluttered if you overuse them.

The Cambridge has great filters, but I find the other EQs more useful. It can get a little boxy IME.

I vote for the 88RS!
Old 7th September 2007
The plugs I use the most are the LA3A and Neve 1081 EQ. The Neve eq seems to always add some missing magic to the sound (I don't have as many great pre's as you do).

I prefer the LA3A over the LA2A, sounds smoother to me. I use it alot on live tracks record at a festival to get the sound up without noticable distortion or artifacts. Don't have the Neve channel strip yet, that is another possibility.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTide View Post
I have a voucher for $150 currently. I have 3 Mackie cards so I have he 1176ln and the LA2A as well as Dreamverb, Fairchild, Plate 140, and Pultec Pro. Other bundles I have are the Waves SSL bundle and the complete URS package. Thinking of the Neve 88RS bundle or the Precision Multiband Comp. As far as hardware pre's go, I have the following: Neve 33114, 4 channels of Vintech X73, 2 API 512b, 2 Averill 312A, 2 Avalon 737sp's, and a UA 2-610. I dont really need to try to duplicate these with software. I do have a Distressor and a UA 1176ln hardware copms, but no outboard eq's. Maybe I should get the Cambridge eq that is supposed to be modeled after the Oxford eq. Any thoughts?

I own the plugs you do and have 2 cards - I'm gonna take $100 off the LA3A. My Hardware compressors are 2 FMR RNCs, 1 RLNA, and a Drawmer 1968 ME. I love the Pultec Pro but go to my GR EQ2NV for the rest of EQ world - trips out of the box are well worth it to hit the 1968 and/or the EQ2NV.

UA knows how to keep us interested with these vouchers, huh? Works every time, and makes me wanna buy more, too. Smart marketing of excellent products - hats off to them.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I just picked up the LA3A plug for free! Yay vouchers! I did a quick comparison to the LA2A last night on some vocal tracks. The LA2A sounded silkier to my ears and the LA3A more mid-present. But it made the vocal pop out of the mix in a cool way. The limit mode on the LA3A sounds really great on both bass and vocals. I also got some cool sounds using it in comp mode on electric guitar. I can predict this plugin is going to be very useful for me.

Brad
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies, gang.

bump

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search