The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rick Rubin NY Times Article Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

i would have been more inspired, now with a few days more thinking, if mr. rubin
had suggested that columbia remove itself from underneath the sony umbrella and
return to a structure that was no longer was publically held. i think it is impossible
to plan to make money with good music. it is insane to attempt to meet some sort
of quarterly quota with good music - the columbia records of my parents generation
was far more interested in quality and integrity, but the whole country was more
interested in those things - unbridled capitalism mutates into something less
creative - less pure - less in general - can this be reversed ? what is sad is two
generations of kids have come up with really ****ty music, no wonder they are
not interested - they are not looking for salvation and redemption at the record
store like we did. they were lied to. they were betrayed.
let's hope rick rubin has three "o.k. computer" 's all at the same time.........

be well

- jack
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiaman View Post
We just don't buy music, we buy statements. Who is making a statement these days?

The music industry is stale right now because none of us have anything important to say, not even the big super bands of yesterday.

And why do labels stop pushing old music on todays market? What if we started to see led zep videos on tv once again, or nirvana on the hit clear channel radio stations? I bet the new generation will go out and seek the music they have been over looking.
I don't disagree. I mean, I'm 25 years old, and as much as I like some of the music in the last 10 years, I don't know how much of it's timeless the same wat Dylan was, or the Stones were/are.

Personally I think it's part of the reason why country music, even top-40 style country music, is doing relatively well. The songs are quite simply about life, and they're relatable, and people understand the message. Sometimes I think we, as musicians and engineers, get so caught up in trying to "push the envelope" that we forget what got us into music in the first place. And not to put words in anyone's mouth - I'll hazard a guess and say it was because there was some song we heard years upon years ago with us that resonated and struck is in a way that little else has. And maybe I'm going out on a limb, but I'm guessing that the song that first captured our minds wasn't some nine minute long retelling of Beowulf that experimented with shifting between natural minor, harmonic minor, and some variation of a 12-toe scale all the while being recording to 2-inch using vintage neve compressors, but not being over compressed. Okay, so that's a lot of hyperbole, but the point is that it'd about the feeling more than it is about the technical side (both musically and on the gear side).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
With the war, and all the other nonsense in the world today, they are plenty of subject matters for artist to write about.
Sure - there's a lot to write about, but are a lot of artists writing about it well? I ask this seriously and rhetorically.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiaman View Post
We just don't buy music, we buy statements. Who is making a statement these days?

everything we do is in service and pursuit of a *feeling*. if certain kinds of statements move you the way you want to be moved, then you will gravitate towards them. there will be countless 'statements' that do not move you, and you will be indifferent towards them. and there are countless songs that purport to be nothing more than the groove that they are, and they will be loved my millions.

it is a mistake to think art has to 'say something' in order to be meaningful or have an impact on people, because it doesn't. it simply needs to resonate.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I don't understand why a music fan should feel upstet about the demise of the major labels. There's plenty of thriving indie labels around.
I can see it being a problem for huge studios owners who rely on big budget to run their business but appart from that...
Artistically, the indie labels had the upper hand for decades, unfortunately sometimes acting as A&R for majors.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
This whole thing numbs my mind.

There's no money in digital music because it's available for free. Yet we keep pumping these digital files out and complain that there's no money in it.

How ****en obtuse can you/we be??? Shut it ****en off already!

It doesn't matter how good or bad the content is...FREE IS FREE. And the more free it gets, the worse the content. You cannot sustain good content if there's no money in it - no way.
werd
Old 6th September 2007
Here for the gear

Amazing read

Like Him or Not..He Could Save the Day. I loved the Article
Old 6th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
Funny how you list the over-compression "****ty sounding" aspect before the importance of the songs/music.

That is the gearslutz plague. tutt
It's the plague of modern production, where the songs are lost in the production and distortion. Sometimes I would just rather hear a song with just a piano or guitar than all the crap that's added to make the song more "current". ****ty sounding comes first as that's the first thing that hits the brain. It's distracting from the composition. It's getting pretty hard to even hear lyrics anymore with all the fuzz guitars and compression going on.

Then again, it's what the kids want, something different than the last generation and something that pisses off their parents. Hendrix did it for me when I was 16. Last I heard his stuff is still selling pretty good. I don't think the current crop of rockers will achieve that status.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 6th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
it is a mistake to think art has to 'say something' in order to be meaningful or have an impact on people, because it doesn't. it simply needs to resonate.

gregoire
del
ubk
Amen!! so true!!
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I don't think the current crop of rockers will achieve that status.

there will never be another hendrix, or beatles, or beethoven, because the world has changed too much. the pond is too big, the fishes too numerous, and the listener's attention is too fractured and taste-specific for any single act to have such a world-capturing effect.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
there will never be another hendrix, or beatles, or beethoven, because the world has changed too much. the pond is too big, the fishes too numerous, and the listener's attention is too fractured and taste-specific for any single act to have such a world-capturing effect.

gregoire
del
ubk
I partially disagree. When you look at Hendrix, you can't just look at him, you have to look at his peers. Hendrix was part of a greater movement.

I would say hip-hop is the most significant cultural movement (in music) to happen since Hendrix's day, and hip hop has had its Jimmys, Dylans, etc.

I think there are a number of socio-political groups that are currently forming "mass movements" who have not yet had a chance to have a musical figurehead. I suspect it is just a matter of time before they do, though.

Kurt Cobain was hailed as the "voice of a generation" for kids raised on TV and were slated as slackers. Imagine if someone came up from a group that was truly oppressed? Imagine the weight and the power that their music would carry with it?
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
everything we do is in service and pursuit of a *feeling*. if certain kinds of statements move you the way you want to be moved, then you will gravitate towards them. there will be countless 'statements' that do not move you, and you will be indifferent towards them. and there are countless songs that purport to be nothing more than the groove that they are, and they will be loved my millions.

gregoire
del
ubk
OH YEAH!

There ALWAYS has to be an emotional quality to the song that moves you. You can have the most clever, or political lyrics, but if there is no emotional quality to it, then it wont touch anyone. I dont know how to describe this, but there is something in a song you cant fake, I guess we can also call it "vibe". That's why love songs are working so damn well. You may not like that most songs are about love or breakup, but there's an emotional quality to those songs, which a ****load of people can relate to.

Go and listen to this band: MySpace.com - THE LAST GOODNIGHT - Connecticut - Rock / Alternative / Pop - www.myspace.com/thelastgoodnight

They have been Jeff Blue's bitch slap project since about 2-3 years. I think these guys are amazing. Very catchy record. It reminds me a lot of Maroon5's debut album, except for the lyrics, which is where they fail (more on this later). Since Jeff is even their A&R now, you can be assured that they will get a LOT of attention from their label. Will they blow up? I dont think so. I dont see their songs resonating with people on an emotional level, that goes beyond "yeah, that's really catchy". You want people to say "Jesus, I really can relate to what the singer is talking about". I dont see that happening with this act. If the chorus of your first radio single goes like this "pictures of you, pictures of me, hung up on your wall for the world to see... pictures of you, pictures of me, remind us all of what we used to be"... then I ask myself, WHO THE HELL WILL RELATE TO THAT? I dont see people singing along to lyrics like that and being emotionally touched. Cut the crap, keep it simple, and write stuff people can relate to.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

gregoire
del
ubk
I do not think so.

There will always be people / artists who capture the imagination, hearts and pockets of the public. It is the human condition...

Ok there will never be another Hendrix or Beethoven, or whatever but there will be other massive creative spirits who emerge to great status and acclaim in the future.

It has nothing to do with the record business and it's momentary instability and transition.

the emergence of great artisits will be the saviour of the industry in whatever form it eventually settles at.

The record companies just have not invested in the more individual and unique talent out there because of their insecurity and desperation to try and keep some kind of revenue stream in this new p2p world. It has not worked.

There is still awesome talent out there that needs to be nurtured and developed and not dropped like a brick if it does not work straight away.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
I do not think so.

There will always be people / artists who capture the imagination, hearts and pockets of the public. It is the human condition...

Ok there will never be another Hendrix or Beethoven, or whatever but there will be other massive creative spirits who emerge to great status and acclaim in the future.

It has nothing to do with the record business and it's momentary instability and transition.

the emergence of great artisits will be the saviour of the industry in whatever form it eventually settles at.

The record companies just have not invested in the more individual and unique talent out there because of their insecurity and desperation to try and keep some kind of revenue stream in this new p2p world. It has not worked.

There is still awesome talent out there that need to be nurtured and developed and not dropped like a brick if it does not work straight away.

You're right, but the reason why UBK is also right, is this....

WE DONT HAVE ANY MORE FILTERS! Being on a label is for most acts no longer different than being unsigned. The way people hear about music is usually word of mouth. Radio and mtv are dead. SO... if we want a new Hendrix or Beatles, WE ALL HAVE TO LISTEN TO THE SAME STUFF AGAIN! Thats what used to be the case "back then". You'd turn on the Radio, watch a particular show, or read a magazine, and the next day you were all talking about the same act(s).

Nowadays EVERYBODY makes music. Everybody has a MySpace site. Everybody thinks they're the **** and will the next big thing. You even see it in the recording industry, with all those bedroom "studios" popping up, oftentimes forcing established studios to go out of business.

So, we need to get back to the old days, and give people LESS choice. Thats really what it all comes down to. People need to have less choice again, and somebody to tell them what's good. Right now people have way too much choice, which results in music fans having the attention span of a 2 year old. "Click, click.. oh lets listen to the chorus of that one song, and then check out the other new track I downloaded, after all I have 15 million mp3 files on my computer".

Dont even dare to think that "a great act will rise to the top, no matter what." If we want a new super act, we need a filter, like radio or MTV (10-15 years ago).
Old 8th September 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by baikonour View Post
Death to the majors...

They used to be a bunch of crooks putting good records out in the 60's and 70's
But since they are a bunch of corporate crooks putting only bad records out...
Show me a ground breaking record released by a major in the last 25 years?

I understand the problem caused by P2P but as a music fan I can see the pros too. If i really like an album I've downloaded, I will buy it on vinyl anyway.
Lauryn Hill

before she lost it.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear
i wouldn't pay more for a top-10 single than for any other; who would?

back when i used to buy 45's in the 1980's, they were all priced the same regardless of age/price position. the old stuff usually was repackaged double-A-sides for added value, not some pricing hierarchy. I don't see any evidence that consumers would support those kids of price differences just because the medium is downloads. more fiddling while rome burns...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search