The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
dynamics need love too? Dynamic Microphones
Old 4th September 2007
500 series nutjob

dynamics need love too?

just because they are affordable dose not mean they are cheap.
dynamic mics have a place in every studio.
many times i see guys go for a cheap condenser and i cringe as i feel a good dynamic would often be a better choice.
feel the love adopt a dynamic mic and make yourself happy
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

This is so true. Its such a common mistake to think that some how a crappy LDC will be better than a great dynamic. On the last 3 records I have produced, the lead vocals have been cut with with SM57s or SM58s.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quite possibly the most important thing I've learnt from frequenting GS. Can't hurt to get a good message like this to more people. This doesn't apply to the jehovah's witnesses that woke me up this morning...
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaczac View Post
Quite possibly the most important thing I've learnt from frequenting GS. Can't hurt to get a good message like this to more people. This doesn't apply to the jehovah's witnesses that woke me up this morning...
Were they trying to sell you a microphone?

heh

Peter
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
just because they are affordable dose not mean they are cheap.
dynamic mics have a place in every studio.
many times i see guys go for a cheap condenser and i cringe as i feel a good dynamic would often be a better choice.
feel the love adopt a dynamic mic and make yourself happy
Amen....

I have more high end dynamics than anything else. I reach for them for just about everything. I've also got a bunch of old EV RE mics that are always fun to try out. When they work, they work well. Seriously, it's a lot more fun for newbies to blow a grand or more on a single LDC, but give me the dynamics.

later,

m
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I am falling in (platonic) love with my RE20 right now! I'm recording a vocalist for whom it not only sounds perfect, but it also seems to inspire him to perform better!

Also, My latest additions to my Dynamic line-up - Heil PR40 and 2 Heil PR30s - are shockingly good. They *really* are great. So far, I've used them on drums (rack/floor toms and kick, backup vox and front (PR30) and rear (PR40) guitar cab). They excelled on all applications!

I use a lot of dynamics on every single song I ever record....DYNAMICS ROCK!
Old 5th September 2007
Deleted User
My first recording was with SM58 only. SM58 on bass, sm58 on drums, sm58 on guitar. 7-8 Sm58 and a Mackie mixer.
All I had.
It has a.... unique sound.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have lotsa dynamics. My most used mics. If ya consider mics per project Dynamics win every time. But there is plenty of room for the condensers. But maybe some people haven't heard the venerable SM7 thru a 312 style preamp to an la2 or 1176. Well actually they have on albums but don't know it.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

viva dynamic!

old EVs are great..
right now i've got a 664, 664a, 660

and of course, the 1st time i plugged my dynamics into a pm1000 they just sprang to life in a way that shocked the hell out of me..
Old 5th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthe View Post
Also, My latest additions to my Dynamic line-up - Heil PR40 and 2 Heil PR30s - are shockingly good. They *really* are great. So far, I've used them on drums (rack/floor toms and kick, backup vox and front (PR30) and rear (PR40) guitar cab). They excelled on all applications!
I really want to check all the Heil PR mics out!

---

Don't you all think, though, that low-end/mid-end mic pres often don't show these mics in a good light? I often fell they make dynamics sound a bit "woolly"/muffled or "sluggish" --- kinda unrefined on vocals and acoustic guitars?

I'm referring to SM57/58s and similar

Is this an impedance issue?
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Montessi View Post
Were they trying to sell you a microphone?
heh
Well see that's the problem. I got all excited thinking it was my favourite parcel delivery man bringing me my second m201. Instead I answered the door in my favourite funny looking (and skimpy) pjamas to two meticulously dressed middle aged women. And then, the second I got back in bed I got a survey phone call...

Sorry I digress. Much love to all the great dynamics out there

Also I know what what you mean about pres blast9. I was actually just thinking about trying a TRP out on some dynamics. Anyone tried it?
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Maniac

RE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthe View Post
I am falling in (platonic) love with my RE20 right now! I'm recording a vocalist for whom it not only sounds perfect, but it also seems to inspire him to perform better!

I use a lot of dynamics on every single song I ever record....DYNAMICS ROCK!
I was also very thoroughly impressed with the PR40's. That's one of the most interesting dynamic mics I've gotten in years. I have a pair of them. They are outstanding. Love that wooden box they come in too, I don't know if they're still doing that but I hope so. It's all that Art Bell uses so it's gotta be good. haha Seriously, they worked great on kicks, toms, guitars, and vocals. That's a wide range. Haven't found something they don't do well yet. I bet they'll work great as spot mic overheads (or ride and hihat mic) too but haven't done that yet. the isolation these mics have is amazing. The only side/rear rejection that comes close to beating what this mic has is called a mute button. I'm serious. I have the PR20 also, which is a very different sounding animal than the 57/58 that it aims to replace; but I have to say I'm most impressed withe 40's so far.

Chad
PreSonus Audio
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

For the home recording dork like me good dynamics are fabulous. You dont pick up so much damn room. Also, They seem to like great mic preamps ALOT.

Try a 57 through your board and then a 57 through your money preamp. The difference is boggling.

Here its dynamics and ribbons nearly all of the time. I have plugged in a condensor mic once or twice in the past year.

Also the cheap condensors are so crap its just unforgiveable. I did my first 1000 recordings with Marshall V67s . Those are an ok cheap condensor but I really cant stand them now. About the lowest I see myself going in the future is AKG 4030 or AKG 414.

Good condensor mics are still expensive. Given the room I would rather stick with Beyer Ribbons.
Old 28th February 2008
500 series nutjob

a bump heh
Old 28th February 2008
Lives for gear

My Vocal chain of choice, these days is SM7 B into a NEVE Portico, or GR MP2-NV into an LA-4 into a UA 2192. I then run the finished vocal track through the UAD 33609 emulation to smack it and fatten it, and then mixdown usually gets some UAD 1073.

The whole performance except really quiet parts, requiring a click track, are tracked right in the control room with the speakers turned up. A tiny bit of bleed but you never hear it in the mix.

My vocal performances have never been better. Screw all that large diaphragm condenser fussy sh!t, requiring headphones to sing. My pitch and control goes to **** with cans on.

I find that the dynamic mic sounds better on radio and over things like Ipods and laptops, since the frequency response is smaller and more focused... could be just me, though.
Old 28th February 2008
Lives for gear

thing about condensers to get all the condenser love
sometimes you capture to much room and not the source

(hydraulics)
little speaker in big speaker out
gotta dig the purity of the simplicity
Old 28th February 2008
And wrenches are much better than screwdrivers!?

I wouldn't record an orchestra with two SM58's...
Old 28th February 2008
Lives for gear

Older EV's were definately one of the cool things I learned about on GS.

No small part of it from Pan60, come to think of it.

Last edited by BudgetMC; 28th February 2008 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: I spel and tipe bad.
Old 28th February 2008
Lives for gear

an orchestra is hell of allot more complicated than a trap set
the only thing you can do is give up by using a condenser
in a orchestral situation
Old 28th February 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC View Post
Older EV's were definately one of the cool things I learned about on GS.

No small part of it from Pan60, come to think of it.
i just did some vocal day before with a EV RE-15
Old 28th February 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by big country View Post
an orchestra is hell of allot more complicated than a trap set
the only thing you can do is give up by using a condenser
in a orchestral situation

don't forget, ribbons are also dynamic mics.

i think Dynamics deliver more bang for the buck!
great studio work horses!
and aside from my addiction to the EV mics i have been loving some of the AUDIX dynamics as well.
the Audix OM-2 can be found for under $100.00 U.S. and it is nice and flat, aciculate, fast, a hint of the old EV sound, and very well made!
Old 28th February 2008
Lives for gear

I remember when I was a lad and I saw the freq. chart of a PR40
I was suddenly rid of the desire for a RE20

praise the heil
Old 29th February 2008
Lives for gear

I cant remember what Model # EV
but dam it looks like it would be fun with some power tools
Old 29th February 2008
I just used an sm57 for vocals yesterday and it was THE sound i was looking for. actually, i havn't even been using any condensors lately, and i've been getting that old school sound you usually find on 2" tape.

not that i wouldn't take an akg c12 if anybody wants to hand one over!
Old 29th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
i use more dynamics and ribbons on recordings than condensors.
Me too...especially when you factor drums in!
Old 1st March 2008
Gear Maniac

S

M

Old 15th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by big country View Post
praise the heil
You mean: Sieg Heil ?
Old 31st March 2008
Here for the gear

I may sound complete stupid for asking this question, but I'm a newb to recording and the only way to learn is to ask. You guys keep saying something about an EV mc. What is EV? Is it a type of dynamic microphone or is it a specific brand?
Old 31st March 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconiumprod View Post
I may sound complete stupid for asking this question, but I'm a newb to recording and the only way to learn is to ask. You guys keep saying something about an EV mc. What is EV? Is it a type of dynamic microphone or is it a specific brand?
Electrovoice
In live sound they're most famous for their speakers. The S200 is called a 'stage prostitute (<= the word which is actually used gets censored)' in Holland, because it can be used everywhere for almost anything, and just sounds good.
In studio they're more famous because of their microphones, in particular the RE20, which is a dynamic microphone which was originally intended as a broadcast mic, but (as with the shure SM7) studio people found a lot of other uses for it.
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

I've got a lot of love for dynamics, especially:

EV RE18 - love this mic on vocals - has a woolly sound that can be magic on some voices.

Shure SM7b - I use this mic everywhere. I want more.

Shure 55S - Looks very cool. Thanks, Elvis.

SM57
- still loving this on guitar amps when combo'd with some type of ribbon or condenser mic.

EV N/D 868 - monster on the kick drum.

Sennheiser 441 - Tell me something this mic doesn't sound good on.

The thing I love about dynamics (aside from their low price) is their rugged durability. Dynamics can be dropped and beaten up with much more intensity than your common condenser or ribbon mic. Working with drunken buffoons, this quality can be a god-send.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search