The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
dynamics need love too? Dynamic Microphones
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

How many classic live records cut with all dynamics? Too many to mention.

Pop the Allmans @ Fillmore East, one more from the road or Live at leads on the cd player. Those sound better than any record cut in the last 15 years probably all dynamics.
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

I do a lot of radioconcert recordings for our local radiostation with dynamics only (Beta52, Beta57, SM57, SM58, E606 and MD421 are the ones i use) and a lot of those bands like those recordings a lot. I see often that those recordings end up on their myspace (we give them for free, cause they come perform for free on our staton) altough they often also got demo's recorded at home or in small studio's.

The reason why i use dynamics only is for the room (wich isn't really treatend professionally) and the lack of good condensors at our station.

I actually like to do that, and start using less condensors in real studio's also. If a dynamic fits the recording, it's way easier to mix it, is my experience.
Old 31st March 2008
500 series nutjob

it seems like a lot of engineers have lost sight or interest in dynamic mics, particularly with the selection of more affordable condenser currently available today.
a very tragic loss for those engineer that choose to overlook their strengths and potential.
feel the love
and adopt a dynamic mic today
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

I've used ribbons a lot on orchestra, and since they are technically dynamics, I've wondered how a pair of, say, RE20s would sound like. Or maybe some omni dynamics?

Has anybody actually tried that???
Old 31st March 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibvee View Post
Electrovoice
In live sound they're most famous for their speakers. The S200 is called a 'stage prostitute (<= the word which is actually used gets censored)' in Holland, because it can be used everywhere for almost anything, and just sounds good.
In studio they're more famous because of their microphones, in particular the RE20, which is a dynamic microphone which was originally intended as a broadcast mic, but (as with the shure SM7) studio people found a lot of other uses for it.

Thank you for the insight. I'm trying to learn as much as possible.
Old 31st March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
it seems like a lot of engineers have lost sight or interest in dynamic mics, particularly with the selection of more affordable condenser currently available today.
a very tragic loss for those engineer that choose to overlook their strengths and potential.
feel the love
and adopt a dynamic mic today
NO NO NO! Keep them under the radar...I want the prices to stay low...perhaps go lower heh
Old 1st April 2008
Here for the gear

For about two weeks have been reading posts on this site, and the generality that I've picked up on is that affordable dynamic mics are a "must have" over affordable condenser mics. What is the main difference between dynamics and condensers that makes dynamics generally more desirable?
Old 30th June 2008
500 series nutjob

feel the love
and
adopt a dynamic mic today!
Old 30th June 2008
Lives for gear

I love dynamics, I just got 2x Beyer M88 delivered today

Over 50% of my collection are dynamic mics. My favourites are Beyer M201, M88 and EV RE20. Next on my hit list is a Sennheiser MD441 or 2!
Old 30th June 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthe View Post
I am falling in (platonic) love with my RE20 right now! I'm recording a vocalist for whom it not only sounds perfect, but it also seems to inspire him to perform better!
I spent a 3 year period mostly using an Re 20 on vocals, I had a tone of repeat business from that time too..
Old 3rd November 2008
500 series nutjob

got to bump some dynamic LOOOOVE
Old 3rd November 2008
Lives for gear

I like using 421's for drum overheads sometimes, they deliver a very fat sound. Dynamic mics are great.
Old 3rd November 2008
Gear Head

i love the idea of recording a whole song (to start with!) using just dynamics, i only seem to use condensers on overhead duty. are there any dynamics (not ribbons) that people have tried for overheads? 441's perhaps?
Old 3rd November 2008
Lives for gear

im working new style dynamic mic .

it should be really cool...

it uses the same pricipal as the as a ribbon mic but has
to sets of tranducers one with a valance to pick up small frequencies ...
Old 3rd November 2008
Lives for gear

Audix i5 lover... Heil PR-30 lover... thumbsup
Old 3rd November 2008
Lives for gear

I have had great results with an SM58 in a good preamp. Even plugged it in a 1073 clone once, sounded killer. So, condensers are not necessarily better than dynamics
Old 3rd November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
I love dynamics, I just got 2x Beyer M88 delivered today

Over 50% of my collection are dynamic mics. My favourites are Beyer M201, M88 and EV RE20. Next on my hit list is a Sennheiser MD441 or 2!
I love both my m88 and m201 mics. I've used re20s before, but never A/Bed them with the m88.

Where do you like to use the m88 and re20?

Thanks.
Old 3rd November 2008

Ditto with 58 and 57 -

Interesting though - it really depends upon the tone of singer's voice at the end of the day, especially live...

I have heard both at an open mic night where they use a cheap peavey desk/ PA.

Sometimes they sound incredibly silky smooth with top end detail, sometimes they sound dull and indistinct, and sometimes they sound gnarly and broken.
Old 3rd November 2008
Lives for gear

There're so many great sounds available when teaming up a good dynamic with a good preamp.
Especially preamps with switchable options (impedance, feedback, loading, x-formers, etc...) help get a lot of mileage out of a "lowly" dynamic. They seem to respond better to these options than condensers.
Old 3rd November 2008
Lives for gear

I wonder if those perenially on the search for "vintage" tones ever tried miking a live band with just good quality dynamics instead of the usual plethora of condensers, later smothered to death by a buttload of "tape sim" plugs and the like?
Old 4th November 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
There're so many great sounds available when teaming up a good dynamic with a good preamp.
Especially preamps with switchable options (impedance, feedback, loading, x-formers, etc...) help get a lot of mileage out of a "lowly" dynamic. They seem to respond better to these options than condensers.
dido!
one can never have to many dynamic mics!
Old 4th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I love both my m88 and m201 mics. I've used re20s before, but never A/Bed them with the m88.

Where do you like to use the m88 and re20?

Thanks.
I really like the M88 on kick and bass cabs. I like the RE20 on cleaner guitars, vocals, bass cabs too.
Old 4th March 2009
Gear Addict

I feel the love
Old 4th March 2009
Lives for gear

Bought a brand spanking new Electrovoice Re-27. I'll be testing it out with Juggernauts and Buzz Potion, can't wait. I couldn't find some screws that came with the 309A shockmount, emailed Electrovoice at 8:00 am, got emailed back at 8:30, now being shipped the screws for free. Great customer service!!!
Old 4th March 2009
Lives for gear

All hail the Sennheiser 421!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search