The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
lets talk about Buffalo Springfield
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

lets talk about Buffalo Springfield

I LOVE how dirty these songs are. CSNY still has some of this sound but not quiet. The gtrs are so distorted and upfront is almost like brass. Anyone have any info to share any any aspect of these recordings?
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I (and as I like to joke....the other 14 of us who knew them) followed them fervantly when they were around. Used to go see them everywhere here in L.A.

They were magical in concert..and very very powerful of an image to see live. There are no adequate words to describe. There was nothing like them before or since in my eyes.

As to the guitars on record ...especially on the second album, you COULD get Jim Messina to explain about a lot of the technique...but he doesn't. I've asked him myself. Especially "Rock & Roll Woman". An incredible number of guitar parts on that track...and a huge amount of fader riding on the mix (you can hear it..and those days being way before automation was around). No doubt Jim hangs out here .... Jim ?

What I do know is there were lots of little Fender amps for the second album even though at shows, they had huge piles of Marshall stacks, Bassman heads running lots of 2-15" and 4-15" cabinets. Just huge piles of amps ...and they were s-o-o-o loud live.

This was truly the band that the world just simply missed out on.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Amen What a great sound.Those were the days..magical days
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

So much creativity among the players. I wish they would do a reunion tour.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yes, the good Old daze

I saw them a number of times. On one occasion it was with the Byrds and Spirit. Great concert in the days when the "light show" was all part of the "trip." If I recall the ticket was less than 5 bucks. Loads of raw talent.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Amazing band...

There's a 3 cds box set with lots of outakes and alternative versions...Buffalo Springfield Again is their best album IMO.
I love the interplay between Young's an Still's guitars.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

I saw Buffalo Springfield at the Moulon Rouge days after
"for what it's worth" came out.
Fender twins on chairs.
I was 17 and it was magic.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

you guys make me sick, im 22.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

I am currently working with someone that has first-hand personal information about the Buffalo Springfield sound. I will see he is willing to share. I will not mention any names or info without his permission.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Here's a picture I took at their next to last show, just before they broke up:
Attached Thumbnails
lets talk about Buffalo Springfield-buffalo.jpg  
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
Here's a picture I took at their next to last show, just before they broke up:
Harvey, your pictures are always great and I thoroughy enjoy (and apperciate!) your posting them. Have you ever thought about turning them (and the stories and life and times that go along with them) into a book? i bet it'd be good. heh

dig neil in the fringe. heh

cheers,
wade
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle S View Post
you guys make me sick, im 22.
sorry you missed the magical times we all had.Those were the days
The days of good music free sex and love and columbian smoke
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

You can take a look at Harvey's posted picture (which also by the way was I believe one that Acoustic used for endorsements of their old 260 guitar amps back then....Messina is playing bass in that particular pic) and their numerous tv show appearances ..but one thing you aren't able to see is the sheer electricity of the band. On tv, they had to pretty much stand on the "x" for the benefit of camera angles.

But in their shows, especially on the larger venues, Steve, Richie, and Neil would be flying all over the stage. They were very very animated. It was a barrage of the senses to watch them during their early and mid period.

Add to that they were not only very very strong singers from the folk era...but now, in the Springfield era, they were suddenly incredible pop or rock singers as well. When the three would hit the mics to sing at the same time, it would plow you back into your seat.

Considering they were only 23, in great shape, at the peak of their energy, so good ...and hungry.... it was just continuously baffling to some of us why they couldn't get break through to the general population.

In my book, the guys as artists peaked at age 23 ...and with that band. Yeah, they became famous as individuals afterwards ...but to me, they never came close again to the magic that was the sum of those five guys.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I got to a few of those shows, in Denver & San Fran. Incredible energy & music.

The one in Denver I attended was memorable due to a communal wineskin with STP Merlot, a gift that lingered.

Those were the days.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
You can take a look at Harvey's posted picture (which also by the way was I believe one that Acoustic used for endorsements of their old 260 guitar amps back then.

Add to that they were not only very very strong singers from the folk era...but now, in the Springfield era, they were suddenly incredible pop or rock singers as well. When the three would hit the mics to sing at the same time, it would plow you back into your seat.
Yup, remember I was doing all the advertising and designing at Acoustic at the time.

Don't forget there were 4 voices in that group; most people forget that Dewey Martin, their drummer also sang, both on harmonies and solos.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yea Yea Dewey sang too.
I just remember driving(crusing)around me and my brother in his little sports car with that album playing away on his 8 track playerMan life was like heaven then why i must have been around 16
What a great time to grow up in.For that i am greatful to the Lord
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The gtrs are so distorted and upfront is almost like brass. Anyone have any info to share any any aspect of these recordings?
A few things ..

Studio: Sunset Sound
Eight track 1"
Console: UA tube
Engineer: Bruce Botnick
Limiter: UA 175
Reverb: live chamber
Fender amps, Gretsch 6120, Les Paul w/Bigsby
Fuzz-Face pedal

Limiting on guitars, i.e. "Bluebird", and "Rock and Roll Woman", "Mr Soul" etc is the 175 cranked.
Old 6th September 2007
I loved the "Last Time Around" album the best (song-wise and sound-wise).
I also worked with Bruce Botnick. He produced my band's (The Laughing Dogs) album on Columbia records in 1979. He's a fine producer and a true gent.

Note: The Steven Stills song "Questions" on the Buffalo Springfield album is the same song as "Carry On" on the Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young album (the words are the same; the music is different).
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

maybe guys don't know that the UA175 was the original 1176 with tubes ..I believe i'm rightthumbsup
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Buffalo Springfield

I got to know and party with Brue Palmer backi n the early 80's through my room mate knew him.
He use play through my stomp boxes with odd Sitar sort oftuning with the dealy on real space trip stuff.
I few years later CSN&Y had Sweet Judy Blue Eyes published in one of the Guitar rags of the time and down in the corner tuning by Bruce Palmer !
Man he had some real great stories is of the 60's and what went on in some of the back rooms . Apearently he was very good friends with Jim Morison prior to being deported back to Canada as well

It 's a pity broze killed him
James
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

"This was truly the band the the world just simply missed out on. "

Yes indeed. They and Moby Grape should have both been huge in the late 60s. And Big Star in the 70s. Man ... there are many bands this stupid world has screwed over. They should all sue
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
A few things ..

Console: UA tube
Like this?
Attached Thumbnails
lets talk about Buffalo Springfield-ua_modular_console.jpg  
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone interested in Neil (in particular) and his part in BS should check out Shakey by Jimmy Mcdonough. I first read it when i was 19 or so and its great.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle S View Post
Anyone interested in Neil (in particular) and his part in BS should check out Shakey by Jimmy Mcdonough. I first read it when i was 19 or so and its great.
Yes, and 0 to 60 (the biography) is pretty good too.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I envy all who have seen the Buffalo Springfield playing live

Best,
Macmod
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Bruce Botnick, Sunset Sound, 1967
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

How close is the new UA stuff to that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunityMart View Post
Like this?
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I was thinkin how back then they didn't have tuners.The lead guitars were out of tune just a little and it sounded so good .Now everything has to be so perfect and in tune.It sounded so natural back then...What are your thoughts on my comment
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post

In my book, the guys as artists peaked at age 23 ...and with that band. Yeah, they became famous as individuals afterwards ...but to me, they never came close again to the magic that was the sum of those five guys.
thenoodle is certainly entitled to his opinion, but I am not willing to sully my reputation by asking a former member of Buffalo Springfield to come here to share and read that he peaked decades ago.

Therefore, I am withdrawing my offer to get guitar information.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff A. Roberts View Post
thenoodle is certainly entitled to his opinion, but I am not willing to sully my reputation by asking a former member of Buffalo Springfield to come here to share and read that he peaked decades ago.

Therefore, I am withdrawing my offer to get guitar information.
Well, if he's a former member of Buffalo Springfield, at least tell him Harvey says hi.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search