The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
lets talk about Buffalo Springfield
Old 8th January 2008
Lives for gear

Great thread, great memories. I was just listening to "Retrospective" on vinyl the other day for the first time in about 30 years. When you hear that needle touch down you know you're in for some real action.

-R
Old 8th January 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle S View Post
you guys make me sick, im 22.
Sick with envy or bored sick?

heh

If it's the former -- your job is to go and suss out the cool bands now that will give you the same kind of bragging rights a couple decades in the future.

I never got to see Buffalo Springfield but ten or so years later I did get to see folks like Elvis Costello, the Buzzcocks, Magazine, Talking Heads and plenty of other legendary bands of that era from up close in relative

If you search out the interesting new bands you get to see them in small venues -- and in twenty or thirty years... heh
Old 14th February 2011
Here for the gear

I gots newz!

OKAY BITCHES! Time to bump this one to the top!

I first saw Buffalo Springfield at the Beau Brummell's Club, in Phoenix December 15th 1967. I was 18 and lead singer of The Mourning Son. No stranger to seeing great talent, I had already seen dozens of acts who are now legends.
The Beau Brummels, The Bobby Fuller Four, The Lovin Spoonful, Freddy and The Dreamers! years before this night. And after them the Airplane, The Dead, James Cotton, Canned Heat, Hendrix and many many more.
Seeing the Buffalo Springfield up close in this 250 person club, was a huge deal.

Then they broke up.
I waited 43 years to see Buffalo Springfield "Again" (sorry could not resist it!)

I confirmed the 2 reunion shows were really going to happen, at the Shoreline on the 23rd and 24th October.
I sold my older Fender Stratocaster immediately, to finance the trip!
I told anyone who would listen, that this was important.
All I got in return, were the blank stares of people long deadened from too much anthem rock and top 40 radio.
My wife who has heard it all a million times, and seen so many legends that she is actually starting to think we are still involved in rock and roll, agreed to go, so we flew to San Fransisco.
We arrived at the Shoreline about 10 AM to see if we could upgrade our tickets.
Everybody around the front of the venue were all older rockers like me, who seemed to be from every corner of the planet.
One guy had driven 5 days to get there, others had flown from Florida, Canada, Detroit and Texas. One thing struck me right off. All that anybody was discussing was Buffalo Springfield.
You must remember the all star lineup for both nights was astounding. Pearl Jam, Neil, Elton John, Leon Russell, Billy Idol, Kris Kristofferson, Merle Haggard (who was ill and not able to perform)
Lucinda Williams, Ralph Stanley, Jackson Browne, David Lindley, and many more! More like a 60's festival than a pair of concerts.

I was there for Buffalo Springfield, and enjoyed the warm up bands, while I impatiently waited for them to play. After Pearl Jam left the stage on the 23rd, a huge number of people exited the venue!
I watched them leave, and we moved 25 rows closer to the stage for The Springfield's set!
From the start it was like magic. With but a few days rehearsal, the guys folded time and wiped out 4 dry decades of dead air with live Audio Magic!
You could see it in their faces too. They figured it out as it was unfolding live onstage.
It could not have been clearer to me if they had all stepped up to the microphones and said "Why did we wait so long to do this again?"
It was wall to wall grins, and the audience went from expectant to ecstatic to manic! Everybody felt this was history and we were some lucky people to have made it there for the shows.

Everything ends, too soon it was all done, and we were back in Denver on a high that lasted weeks. Friends called and moaned about blowing it, and "what were they thinking!"
The great Youtube videos pushed them near despair, and they feared they had missed their only chance to see the legend live.

Well the spirit of the event moved a lot of people. The talk of reunion and a tour simply would not die. Months of emails, and forum postings, coupled with endless speculation and the new found excitement of the players themselves, pushed things along.

I just received the news from a band member that the tour is a GO for later this year!
I jumped on the net and found this.
As the Professor would say,..."Good News Everyone!"

Buffalo Springfield Set for Reunion Tour in 2011, David Crosby Reveals - Spinner UK

CHAZZ
Old 14th February 2011
Lives for gear

Wow.... I will see you there. I saw Buffalo Springfield at least 3 times. They would often show up on the same ticket with The Byrds, Spirit, and Buffalo Springfield. I really liked seeing these three bands together. Usually the Byrds performed very poorly (probably stoned and or drunk) and disappointing. Buffalo were out of this world good. But, it was Spirit who would really bring the house down. I think the cover was all of 3 dollars.
Old 14th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Holy ****!!!!! I hope to God they come to Nashville
Old 14th February 2011
Lives for gear

Check out BS on the TV series MANNIX -- they are playing in the background of a bar in LA[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7sAco***vA[/URL]
Old 14th February 2011
Here's an interesting BBC documentary about the birth, development, and death by cocaine and ego explosion of the whole west coast rock scene. I'm sure that, like any such compressed story line, that they didn't get it all right. But it's still interesting.

Old 14th February 2011
Lives for gear
Neil (in Shakey IIRC) has said that he and Stills did not like the sound of their first record at all, and that part of the mythical status of the band is that they were out of this world when live, but that it was never really captured on record. Words to that effect anyway...
Old 15th February 2011
One funny line from the documentary, just paraphrasing here... One of the guys says that Crosby invited him up to Crosby's house to get high. He said, of course I went, that's like being asked to a wine tasting by Baron Rothschild.
Old 15th February 2011
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Fantastic news! Huge fan here.

Chris
Old 15th February 2011
Lives for gear

I'll probably go if they're planning on playing Dallas. Is Dewey Martin still alive?
Old 15th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
Is Dewey Martin still alive?
He used to live near me. I believe he died just over two years ago. Although I only talked with him a couple times, he always impressed me as a hell of a nice guy.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 16th February 2011
Here for the gear

Buffalo Springfield Plays Bonnaroo Festival in June!!

Buffalo Springfield just one of two tantalizing reunions slated for Bonnaroo 2011 | Pop & Hiss | Los Angeles Times

Just today the news leaked out and flooded the internet. Buffalo Springfield's first booking of a paying gig in 43 years, is Bonnarroo Festival this summer.

The smiles I saw on everyone's faces, at the 2 benefit concerts in October, were a sure sign it was time.

Also there are rumors of Gibson "Buffalo Springfield Signature" Vintage Reissue Series guitars.

Gretsch would be smart to have USA Made Signature reissues of the 2 White Falcons! (I have held both at once, During the concerts of 4 Way Street at the Forum, What a rush!)

You heard it here first! CHAZZ
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
Theres some truth to the age thing, especially Stills ..his voice was fattest and best on "Rock And Roll Woman", and continued good for a few years, but by '73, the lifestyle effected his voice. Richey Furay sings fantastic today ..so it depends.
Rock and Roll Woman; my absolute favorite summer of love track. A production that's almost sublime and topped off with the most magnificent ending. As for that vocal sound.... WOW!
Old 12th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayo View Post
Rock and Roll Woman; my absolute favorite summer of love track. A production that's almost sublime and topped off with the most magnificent ending. As for that vocal sound.... WOW!
Agreed. In fact, RR Woman is my fave from that whole decade.
Old 12th November 2017
Lives for gear

Man, this is an old thread with some cats I haven't seen post here in years. Thanks for the jog.
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

Richie Furay

CSNY does not sound like Buffalo Springfield because CSNY did not have Richie Furay in it (the guy in the middle of the photo) and his voice is essential in the vocal blend that was Buffalo Springfield. It's easy to forget about him since he left the music business in the early 80's to become a pastor in Colorado. However, today, his voice sounds closer to the way he sounded in the 60's than Young or Stills.
Attached Thumbnails
lets talk about Buffalo Springfield-buffalo-springfield.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search