The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
lets talk about Buffalo Springfield
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff A. Roberts View Post
thenoodle is certainly entitled to his opinion, but I am not willing to sully my reputation by asking a former member of Buffalo Springfield to come here to share and read that he peaked decades ago.

Therefore, I am withdrawing my offer to get guitar information.
With all due respect Jeff - Lighten up. I'm sure this former member of Buffalo had heard things like that before. If their ego is that fragile they shouldn't go poking around Gearslutz.

As artists, we put our art out into the world and people hopefully respond to it. Youthful work can seem brash and naive to an older artist, but it has a tendency to resonate with people for those very reasons. It reminds me of a TV actor who resents being associated with a particular character even years after the TV show is off the air. What they forget is that without that public exposure they may have missed out on many opportunities and experiences and should be grateful to be remembered by so many.

As far as out of tune guitars go, I can't stand 'em. I hear out of tune guitar playing all the time and it doesn't give me a "vibe" or anything like that. I think you're hearing the tuning problems of the guys technique rather than a lack of tuning, and that can impart some "happy accidents".
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

"thenoodle is certainly entitled to his opinion, but I am not willing to sully my reputation by asking a former member of Buffalo Springfield to come here to share and read that he peaked decades ago.

Therefore, I am withdrawing my offer to get guitar information. "

Jeff, for what its worth (pun intended), many artists have several peaks in their career. I certainly wouldn't take what Thenoodle said as a slam - if you ask one person, he would say some members of the band peaked in the 70s. If you ask another, he might say that the work they'd done in the last 10 years is their most influential. Its all perspective (and this perspective was from only one person on here) ... I hope you reconsider, because I believe most of the people on Slutz have the utmost respect for great musicians, especially ones in seminal bands like Buffalo Springfield.

Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corworld View Post
With all due respect Jeff - Lighten up. I'm sure this former member of Buffalo had heard things like that before. If their ego is that fragile they shouldn't go poking around Gearslutz.
I thought I would take some heat for my last post.

If YOU were on good terms with a former member of Buffalo Springfield, and wanted to pry technical secrets out of him strictly as a favor, would you send him to an internet site that (among other thing) says that he peaked decades ago?

I wouldn't. Maybe it's just me.

If the thread was nothing but praise, I would have asked him for guitar info. To ask him to reveal confidential information, and be insulted in the process is a bit much to ask, methinks.

I value the relationship too much.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Theres some truth to the age thing, especially Stills ..his voice was fattest and best on "Rock And Roll Woman", and continued good for a few years, but by '73, the lifestyle effected his voice. Richey Furay sings fantastic today ..so it depends.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

The Byrds and Buffalo Springfield members went on to spawn supergoups for the next several decades - an amazing achievement by any standards. I was fortunate enough to know and see almost all the groups they were a part of and their legacy and music will remain long after we're all gone. To dismiss any of them is an insult.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

I thnk they may have had em around,
Could be wrong though
http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
I was thinkin how back then they didn't have tuners.The lead guitars were out of tune just a little and it sounded so good .Now everything has to be so perfect and in tune.It sounded so natural back then...What are your thoughts on my comment
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
The Byrds and Buffalo Springfield members went on to spawn supergoups for the next several decades - an amazing achievement by any standards. I was fortunate enough to know and see almost all the groups they were a part of and their legacy and music will remain long after we're all gone. To dismiss any of them is an insult.
I concur with Harvey. I was fortunate to see BS live twice and the concerts were fantastic. The groups they later formed were certainly good but to my likes BS was still my favorite.

Old 7th September 2007
Yeah, I agree-- nobody wants to run the risk of insulting these old has-beens.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

I understand a bit about what you are saying, but I'm sure he's heard some negative feedback in his life as we all have. Man, there are people out there who dis The Beatles. Mostly this thread seems glowing. Also he may be able to let us in on what he's up to now. Mr. Young seems to not give a **** what critics think about what he is up to..which is great.

Quote:
I thought I would take some heat for my last post.

If YOU were on good terms with a former member of Buffalo Springfield, and wanted to pry technical secrets out of him strictly as a favor, would you send him to an internet site that (among other thing) says that he peaked decades ago?

I wouldn't. Maybe it's just me.

If the thread was nothing but praise, I would have asked him for guitar info. To ask him to reveal confidential information, and be insulted in the process is a bit much to ask, methinks.

I value the relationship too much.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Guru

What do you mean they're great? They don't even play their own instruments! heh [see 1:34-1:50]

(or, 45-30 sec from the end)
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
What do you mean they're great? They don't even play their own instruments! heh [see 1:34-1:50]

WHAT ....I am stunned.

I just assumed they were wireless!heh
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephent28 View Post
WHAT ....I am stunned.

I just assumed they were wireless!heh
And fingerless!
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

That's a good example of what happened when they were on tv on most shows. They had to stay on the camera marks and sing to the basic track. It's so strange (for me) to see them standing in one place, not moving. They did tons of tv so it is funny that Neil decides to mock that particular appearance with that move.

In about that same period in concerts (with Fielder on bass as on that tv clip), they'd be all over the stage for that song...turning it into a faster and faster frenzied jam that would go on for twenty minutes or so. Richie in particular would be flying back and forth between Neil and Steve, slamming out perfect percussive rhythm against the twin leads. There was such a loud, fast moving, visual attack happening up on those stages...with those incredible songs...you really just didn't know who to watch.

Harvey mentioned Dewey...Dewey doesn't get a lot of credit for what he was adding. Between he and either Bruce (or Fielder) on bass, and the way Richie played, there was this monster, driving rhythm section beat going on that was rock solid and just a total boogie in the good shows ...bootlegs don't do the shows justice. Messina was okay on bass during his time with the band, but it was Bruce or Jim Fielder that (to me) contributed to the truly fantastic shows.

It was a month or so after that posted tv clip (that must be from about April or so of 67) that they started doing Bluebird live ...which then that became the big 30-minute showstopper for a few months ...I remember Bluebird live would also turn into this electric, straight ahead rocker ... moreso than that 9-minute recorded weirdee that sometimes floats around on compilations.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
I understand a bit about what you are saying, but I'm sure he's heard some negative feedback in his life as we all have. Man, there are people out there who dis The Beatles. Mostly this thread seems glowing. Also he may be able to let us in on what he's up to now. Mr. Young seems to not give a **** what critics think about what he is up to..which is great.
Herr Cujo:

I am fully aware that artists have to take a ton of crap in their lives, and suffer the slings and arrows of stupid reviews and wacky opinions. However, after ripping an artist the proverbial "new one", how often would said reviewer then ask the artist to do him a favor and reveal some trade secrets?

That's all I'm saying. You don't bitch slap someone and then ask them to give you a ride to the airport.

YMMV.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
Harvey:

Thanks for your support.

You should write a book.

Really.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Richie Furay

I had the plesure of spending some time with Richie Furay in Austin in 2006. Really nice guy. He performed a set of Buffalo Springfield material for a crowd of invited guests and then I got to hang with him for awhile afterward. He sounded GREAT, his voice was virtually the same as the 1960's (can't say that about Stephen Stills). Of course I had to ask him about a Buffalo Springfield reunion. He told me that he would love do one and Stills and Dewey Martin were also interested. He said the problem is always getting Neil Young to commit to anything. He does not say no, but then he does not say yes. Richie said he had been in the studio with Neil and Stephen Stills recently (as of 2006) but he did not know if anyting was going to come of it.

Richie basically left the rock world to become a minister in the 1970's, that's why he is still in pretty good shape physically. He still preaches and has his ministry, but he told me that as he has gotten a little older he has managed to reconcile his past with his faith and has made peace with both of them. He said he still loves to perform, is proud of his past, and has no plans to stop. I got the impression that he would really love to reform Buffalo Springfield and that it would actually happen if they could get Neil Young to commit to it.

J. Mike Perkins
jmikeperkins.com myspace.com/jmikeperkins
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
I was thinkin how back then they didn't have tuners.The lead guitars were out of tune just a little and it sounded so good .Now everything has to be so perfect and in tune.It sounded so natural back then...What are your thoughts on my comment
They're OT but right on.

I'd love some firsthand BS info, but not at the expense of people being able to (politely) state their opinions. -E
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeperkins View Post
I had the plesure of spending some time with Richie Furay in Austin in 2006... He sounded GREAT, his voice was virtually the same as the 1960's (can't say that about Stephen Stills).
GREAT. So much for getting Stills to comment here I'll stop now. I promise.

Hearing Bluebird on the radio as a little kid was a formative musical experience. I regret that it took me the better part of 20 years to get over my anti-hippie hang-ups (said hang-ups being over issues of style, not politics) and embrace CSN, which led me back to BS and Still's early solo work. -E
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Even though it's singing against a remixed track and they aren't able to move off the camera marks, this was a cool moment from the late fall of 1967-

Old 9th September 2007
Gear Guru

I think this one is live ...

Buffalo Springfield on the Smothers Brothers. So good it could have been a record. Other than that it's a different arrangement from the album, there are other clues that it's live - particularly when Furay comes on and off mic towards the end.

Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

I think one of the things that made some of those groups from the 60's sound so cool is that they weren't perfectly in tune by theoretical standards. Since it is impossible to be perfectly in tune anyway on a guitar lets just say how some of those bands tuned contributed a lot to the mojo.
Tuners sure are convenient but I'm not sure they are always the best thing. Now everyone is closer to being in tune but everyone is out of tune exactly the same supposedly "perfect" way. It bugs me as much as perfectly timed drum tracks and recordings that are compressed to hell.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

Is Richie living in Austin? How long has he been here? I love hearing about more and more talented transplants like this - the last one I saw was Bobby Whitcomb of Derek & the Dominoes moving here a year ago. He plays with his wife Coco (multi-instrumentalist/singer) and they sound great

If you have any more info about upcoming gigs or collaborations, J Mike Perkins (or anyone else who knows), I would like to hear about it

Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
If the thread was nothing but praise, I would have asked him for guitar info.
This thread IS nothing but praise or do I miss something here?

I don't think that the 'peaked early' comment was meant in an insulting way. And the poster clearly talked about the 'magic' of the original line-up and doesn't discount the achievements of the individual members thereafter.

I mean I think that say Pete Townshend peaked early - I like the early Who singles the best. But I still think that Townshend is a great artist to this day and has created much wonderful music for decades. But IMO 'the magic' of the Who never again came close again to what they did on 'My Generation' 'Pictures of Lily' and all the other great early tunes.

I guess Buffalo Springfield was one of these 'once in a lifetime' situation where the right people meet at the right time.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

Great stuff! But I'd wager that they are singing over backing tape. I don't see mics on the amps or drums. love the guitar cords off the floor in the begining.. Where can I get a green and yellow cardigan like Neil's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Buffalo Springfield on the Smothers Brothers. So good it could have been a record. Other than that it's a different arrangement from the album, there are other clues that it's live - particularly when Furay comes on and off mic towards the end.

Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

In the 60's they'd make an alternate mix for tv, or sometimes record an alternate shorter version for tv shows.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Richie Furay lives in Colorado, just outside of Denver. He just happened to be in Austin when I met him in 2006.

J. Mike Perkins
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I LOVE how dirty these songs are. CSNY still has some of this sound but not quiet. The gtrs are so distorted and upfront is almost like brass. Anyone have any info to share any any aspect of these recordings?
As for the original question about CSNY not quite having that sound, part of it is the studios ...Sunset sound was all tube, and Heider was all non-tube, save for the Neumann mics.

Sunset Sound: tube UA console, tube 175 limiters ...
Heider: solid-state DeMedio console, blue stripe 1176 limiters.
Old 8th January 2008
Gear Nut

CA Fuzz in 1967-68 ?

I know this post says BS used a Fuzzface on the guitars, however, i own 2 original FF's and they dont sound like the Fuzz on MrSoul, Bluebird, RR Woman - is it me? I have heard it may be a Vox Tonebender, which i was able to borrow a friends (original-resistors replaced with CarbComps) and IT WAS MORE like the BS sound, but maybe still not quite (verry Brassy-horn like, like a Square wave Saxophone emulation.

Anyone know if this is the one , behore i start looking into a purchase? If, not Buffs gear, any other 1960's Frisco-LA bands (Iron BF, Country Joe-Fish had some great fuzz-Barry Melton, etc...)? To me these definatley do NOT sound like my FuzzFaces-maybe its me.

Cheers,
BZ
Old 8th January 2008
I loved Buffalo Springfield but somehow never managed to see them. (I saw Dewey Martin's New Buffalo. )

Worse yet, maybe, one day when I was, um, rapidly expanding my vision of the world, its possibilities and mysterious interrelationships... Neil Young was scheduled for a personal appearance in a tiny record shop in Newport Beach, where I worked and was, that day, enjoying a very, um, special day off. I knew he was going to be there at two but, somehow, I just forgot...

I ran into one of my bodysurfing buddies a little later as I was tooling around on the Schwinn Stingray I kept in back of the burger stand where I worked.

He said, Wow, I was surprised I didn't see you down at Pier Records. That guy from Buffalo Springfield -- the guy who quit that you like so much -- was there and there were, like, 3 people there...

Sigh.
Old 8th January 2008
Gear Nut

I know this post says BS used a Fuzzface on the guitars, however, i own 2 original FF's and they dont sound like the Fuzz on MrSoul, Bluebird, RR Woman - is it me? I have heard it may be a Vox Tonebender, which i was able to borrow a friends (original-resistors replaced with CarbComps) and IT WAS MORE like the BS sound, but maybe still not quite (verry Brassy-horn like, like a Square wave Saxophone emulation.

Anyone know if this is the one , before i start looking into a purchase?

If, not Buffs gear, any other 1960's Frisco-LA bands (Iron BF, Country Joe-Fish had some great fuzz-Barry Melton, etc...)?

ESPECIALLY Country Joe-FISH gear - what did Barry use - thats the FUZZ that would make your day, err, "special" so to speak (See MontereyPop Outakes).

To me these definately do NOT sound like my FuzzFaces-maybe its me.

Perhaps...

Maestro Fuzz Tone, Mosrite Fuzzrite or Vox Tonebender ?

Cheers,
BZ

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search