The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Great River preamps make me wanna sing... Single-Channel Preamps
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Great River preamps make me wanna sing...

just a quick rookie review of the Great River ME-1NV Single Channel Mic Pre/DI.

first off, a shout out to the folks at mercenary audio, thank you again for your patience and being so generous with your knowledge.

i love this pre. i like the quality of the sound, specially on vocals.
it definitely has its own thing going. very rounded and "warm"... whatever the f_ck that means.

i am using it with an Rode NTK tube mic and at first was very dissapointed. it was just very flat and dull. then i discovered the "impedance" button.

i pressed the thing and lo and behold, EVERYTHING opened up!
what a difference.

next up, acoustic guitar. a martin acoustic electric and the great river gave me loads of gain, even more than the mindprint.

next bass, eh... it's ok but nothing earth shattering there.

next a gretsch electric guitar with a couple of effects on it... sweet, totally sweet.

i tried many variations of gain and output and what i finally settled on is to use the great river first in my signal chain, use the output to go to the mindprint BUT using the great river's output transformers to drive the mindprint about 80% and the other 20% of gain being created by the mindprint.

to my ears, a very nice combo.

yeah... i'm a slut...

here's the session, all in one quick take... before my second cup of coffee...

cheers!

FM

FM is acting under orders from above.
Old 4th September 2007
500 series nutjob

i love the great river pre i have.
have finished a review i just could not return it!
check it out
Great River MP-500NV and Dan
God good gear keeps me broke
Old 4th September 2007
Yep... I have been saying it like a broken record here at GS. The MP-2NV is my go to preamp. It does most things better than anything else and it does everything well. The only down side is the DI, I am not a HUGE fan but it works and I think all DI's pale in comparison to the Tab V71 DI. If I were not already spoiled by the Tab I think the Great River DI would be fine.

Oh and pretty good sounding stuff there FM. Thanks for the quick review.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
i love the great river pre i have.
have finished a review i just could not return it!
check it out
Great River MP-500NV and Dan
God good gear keeps me broke
nice review indeed!

yeah, it sure is a great piece. i hope to spend a lot of quality time with it. heh heh heh

cheers!

FM

FM... one, two, three, four... he declares a thumb war!
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm sorry, but the guitar is so poorly played, that it was like a hornets nest in my head. Preamps really don't matter one bit if you have no interest in playing in time.

Again, with all due respect......It was just hard to listen to. I couldn't get through it.

Sorry for the negative comment, but it's kind of important, and I hope it will be taken in a constructive manner.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
Yep... I have been saying it like a broken record here at GS. The MP-2NV is my go to preamp. It does most things better than anything else and it does everything well. The only down side is the DI, I am not a HUGE fan but it works and I think all DI's pale in comparison to the Tab V71 DI. If I were not already spoiled by the Tab I think the Great River DI would be fine.

Oh and pretty good sounding stuff there FM. Thanks for the quick review.
thank you, sir!!

FM

FM is rico AND suave.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
I'm sorry, but the guitar is so poorly played, that it was like a hornets nest in my head. Preamps really don't matter one bit if you have no interest in playing in time.

Again, with all due respect......It was just hard to listen to. I couldn't get through it.

Sorry for the negative comment, but it's kind of important, and I hope it will be taken in a constructive manner.
well, as i said, it was before my second cup of coffee, meaning that it was not the greates of playing.

neither did i claim that it would be.

it was just a quick sketch testing out the pre, that's all.
in that sense, i don't take your comment in a negative way.

but, don't assume that i have no interest in "playing in time".
this thread is about, or so was my intention and should have probably been clearer about it, only the pre. not my skill or lack thereof as a player. or even the "song" for that matter.

either way, it's all good, sorry you didn't like it.

so warning to all...
bad guitar playing ahead!
the sample here ain't gonna rock your world or give you chills or anything like that... it's just a quick review/test of the pre...

let's move on.

FM

FM... his heart makes your absence grow fonder.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

This happens all the time around here. Someone gets exited about a piece of gear, records a small segment for all to hear the sonic features of a preamp in this case. Then someone has to criticise the performance............maybe next time one should spend $5K and get some session players in, record it and then post it for all the so called pros to hear.
Total f...in BS
Thanks FMNYC for the sample I hope you enjoy the GR....might get one myself.

nIC
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Judging preamps requires some pretty serious critical listening. If you were able to appreciate the subtle nuances through that jumble, then congrats. I for one couldn't.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Judging preamps requires some pretty serious critical listening. If you were able to appreciate the subtle nuances through that jumble, then congrats. I for one couldn't.
ok... let me upgrade my warning...

totally un-subtle, un-nuanced performance by a complete and overexcited rookie ahead!

this recording is meant only to share with you all the joy of getting a new piece of gear and it is NOT meant as a professional review of any kind.

those with fine ears will definitely want to pass up on this one, don't say you haven't been warned.

and thank you Aearth for your kind comment.

cheers!

FM

FM left a cake out in the rain.
Old 5th September 2007
Quote:

I grew up recording (and still record) local and regional acts. Some of them are really reallllllly bad.

I look at recording as two separate elements, music and sound. Music is the songs. Sound is the recording. I find GREAT enjoyment with both aspects. I LOVE listening to a great song with great players and I LOVE making a recording shine because of a technique or some gear. The two are not inseperable. It helps if they are the same level but I can enjoy either.

Over the years I have learned to compartmentalize the two. I can listen to and LOVE a scratchy 30's blues recording because the song touches me and I can record the worst of bands and LOVE the process that makes the recording sound as good as I can make it.

I think that is how a pro can stay focused on being a pro in my eyes, find something to like about everything you work on no matter what your career or vocation. If you don't you will end up hating what you do.

FMNYC's recording is not GREAT but it is good enough to get a vibe. The performance is not perfect but I can look past that.

Thanks for the clip FMNYC, nice work!
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm sorry but if the OP posts any more clips like that, I will have to sue him and/or have him arrested.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sorry but if the OP posts any more clips like that, I will have to sue him and/or have him arrested.
see dude... there's really no need for that... the performance was bad, i got it, you have such high standards that the mere posting of an off-kelter performance offends you, got that too. i am always humbled by those who have NEVER done anything in a less than perfect manner.

i guess i will see you in court.

so, here's now a warning directed exclusively at YOU. (since so far you are the person that has expressed the most discomfort with my poor attempt)

i will go now to my humble rig and record something else using my new pre, i will mix it to the best of my abilities and i will post it tomorow, so when you see me start that thread tomorow rest assured, you will be safe from all the noise it will create because i am now letting you know waaaaaaaaaay in advance.

no need to thank me.

FM

FM is the Papi to your Mami.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Nice....I just called the cops!!!
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I grew up recording (and still record) local and regional acts. Some of them are really reallllllly bad.

I look at recording as two separate elements, music and sound. Music is the songs. Sound is the recording. I find GREAT enjoyment with both aspects. I LOVE listening to a great song with great players and I LOVE making a recording shine because of a technique or some gear. The two are not inseperable. It helps if they are the same level but I can enjoy either.

Over the years I have learned to compartmentalize the two. I can listen to and LOVE a scratchy 30's blues recording because the song touches me and I can record the worst of bands and LOVE the process that makes the recording sound as good as I can make it.

I think that is how a pro can stay focused on being a pro in my eyes, find something to like about everything you work on no matter what your career or vocation. If you don't you will end up hating what you do.

FMNYC's recording is not GREAT but it is good enough to get a vibe. The performance is not perfect but I can look past that.

Thanks for the clip FMNYC, nice work!

Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice....I just called the cops!!!
don't forget to call your lawyers as well!

FM
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMNYC View Post
don't forget to call your lawyers as well!

FM
Lucky for you, it's after business hours. It looks like you have a stay of execution.heh
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lucky for you, it's after business hours. It looks like you have a stay of execution.heh
wow... i didn't realise that making bad music could be such a detriment to one's health.

i better do a good job tonite, maybe then if the judge likes it i may live to see another day.

good evening, sir. i'm off to dinner and work.

FM

FM... if it pleases the court.
Old 5th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMNYC View Post
see dude... there's really no need for that... the performance was bad, i got it, you have such high standards that the mere posting of an off-kelter performance offends you, got that too. i am always humbled by those who have NEVER done anything in a less than perfect manner.

i guess i will see you in court.

so, here's now a warning directed exclusively at YOU. (since so far you are the person that has expressed the most discomfort with my poor attempt)

i will go now to my humble rig and record something else using my new pre, i will mix it to the best of my abilities and i will post it tomorow, so when you see me start that thread tomorow rest assured, you will be safe from all the noise it will create because i am now letting you know waaaaaaaaaay in advance.

no need to thank me.

FM

FM is the Papi to your Mami.
LOL

Good for you FM, keep a positive outlook and just take it in stride. You are holding up better than I would.

thumbsup
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOL

Good for you FM, keep a positive outlook and just take it in stride. You are holding up better than I would.

thumbsup
What are you talking about?

I even granted him permission to have dinner.heh
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Sounds nice on the vocals.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Is this your first pro level preamp???? Maybe cause your hearing yourself for the first time on good gear and are over excited. But hey whatever makes you happy is what matters..
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=FMNYC;1477223

next bass, eh... it's ok but nothing earth shattering there.

QUOTE]

Do yourself a big favor and try this again - bass guitar, synth bass, and acoustic stand-up bass thru the Great River are a beautiful thing - you should find bass and GR much, much more than just OK.

Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

'sup guys... early morn' here in the east...

new Great River pre stufff i worked on last night on a new thread...

just wanted to give those who are interested a heads up in case the thread gets buried since i'm starting it so early... yeah... i know... very important sh_t...

peace!

FM

FM... good to the last drop.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

man... couldn't upload... deleted the other recording and still no go... i will be back with a link later...

FM
Old 5th September 2007
Quote:
What are you talking about?

I even granted him permission to have dinner.heh
LOL

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search