The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Please help asap Dynamic Microphones
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Please help asap

I had a question, I couldn't find on the net about about recording/panning.

I am using PT LE. If I hard panned 2 mono tracks before I recorded gtr( with 2 sm57's on two different speakers) would it affect the recording at all or only the playback?

In otherwords, are all recordings defaulted to the ctr position regardless of the panning setting during the recorded take in PT?

Thanks! Hopefully someone can clear this up for me.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Why would that matter? If you can pan it after you record it, why would it matter if it was panned while it was recorded?
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Well that is my question.... if panning affects the recording process at all or only playback in protools.
Old 4th September 2007
hey,

not totally sure what your doing here but this is what i know....

if you recorded two separate mics on different channels then you have two mono tracks, these can be panned anywhere at anytime provided you have a stereo output on those tracks

only if you record onto a stereo track with a stereo input do you preserve any kind of panning.

anykind of fader move, pan, plugin you do during recording does not get recorded into the audio (unless you are recording the output of another channel/aux)

Pete
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Huh ?

May I suggest reading a book or two about the recording process.......and after that ........rtfm.

WT - Feeling grumpy tonight and you was in the line of fire.......

Last edited by waveterm; 4th September 2007 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: adding...
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Pete is right if you are recording mono tracks panning has no affect on the track, in that you can pan it anywhere anytime. If you are recording stereo tracks than yes panning is printed with the audio.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Ok, I was guessing panning wouldn't be printed. I did search for it in the PT ref manual, to verify, but I couldn't find anything. THanks! Dumbass question I know, just one of those things I wanted to be sure of.

Interesting to know about stereo tracks though. So two mono mics, recorded onto a stereo track will print any panning positions onto the stereo track. Is that correct?

Also, I a, pretty sure any RTAS plugins used while tracking are printed.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Not quite, two mics recorded to a stereo track would still be two mono tracks (they just happen to be on a stereo track). But two mics recorded into a stereo input onto stereo tracks panning will be printed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think I worded that right
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface777 View Post
Also, I a, pretty sure any RTAS plugins used while tracking are printed.

Your plugs will not be printed on the track you record onto.

If you wish to print plugs while recording, record through an aux track that is bussed to an audio track. You will have to compensate for latency.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search