The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bob Clearmountain talks about the Pod! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Come on, guys. The tuner isn't that bad. hehhehheh
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Oh look, another 3+ page post full of engineer's blaming their tools. Yawn...
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

he had it right the first time, there are no rules in recording.

We don't sit at our speakers thinking, "does bob clearmountain like the way this sounds" do we?
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
No, three mic's, two cabs , one for each cab and a room mic just in case it gives the sound something special ......

I thought the intro feedback would've given it away if the tone didn't .... i find trying to get that type of interaction between guitar and amp virtually impossible with an amp sim ..
i thought that MAYBE the feedback could have been from using a pod WITH an amp....or tracking in the control room with the monitors cranked.

either way....i was a bit confused because the guitars sounded good....and was impressed if that HAD been a pod.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post

LOL!

And here's the fix.

Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
a SOUND is not a TOOL.

Old 7th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
a SOUND is not a TOOL.

The sound comes out of the tool. BTW, are we talking about the POD(s) direct or when used as a preamp?
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

That's Bob's opinion and I happen to agree with him. Ya if you screw with them enough you can make them work but they lack the depth and the obvious realism that an amp produces. Sure Bob probably could rag on over compressed tracks so does CLA but this particular subject is about the pod.
If you like what you get from it, cool. Bob's one of the biggest and has been in the game long enough to know good guitar tones and what it takes to make them work in a mix. I would think everyone would at least take it for what it's worth and maybe take a hard look at their pod tracks.

My house guitarist has a Vette with the newest software, a Line 6 head and a pod. It took one session comparison to convince him. Now he uses his AC30, Marshall and a Matchless DC30 in the studio. I know it's unfair but that's the debate.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Viscous View Post
The sound comes out of the tool.
the POD can be a tool that a guitarist uses..... but we're talking about mixing engineers here, not guitarists!

Would you say that a construction site foreman blames an individual worker when part of a building is done poorly and makes the whole house look crappy? Maybe a wall is rough, and it makes the whole room look really bad? YES!
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Sold all my amps and pedals. Got tired of maintaning tube circuits
and dealing with inconsistancy.

The Pod works just fine for me. I use a Pod v2, and a Sansamp Tri AC
modeler, for any and all guitars.
I dont work on national releases. I do mostly independant film stuff,
and alot of work with some major TV networks like Fox and ESPN2.
I also work with local singer/songwriters in my area.
For the level i work on, the Pod does the job. My clients are all
very happy.

Generally, its a matter of understanding it, and knowing how
to get what you want from it. If you can not get what you want from
it, then sell it. Its that easy.

There are at least 500 items in a studio, wich one person will say
"That unit sucks, to which the other person answers, "really? i love it"

Who really cares? It doesnt really matter at the end of the day,
as long as your mix sounds like you want it to.
Oh, and yeah, Bob's great and all, whoopee..

T

You're not the one responsible for the terrible guitar tones on espnradio are you? I listen to it often on the net and they don't run commercials all the time during the break and the guitar tones on the songs that replace the commercials make me want to rip my face off.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
No, three mic's, two cabs , one for each cab and a room mic just in case it gives the sound something special ......
So congratulations, you can make all that sound like a Pod.

The "gotcha" works both ways.

(Just kidding around, but really, what do you expect from this group of wiseasses)

Peace,
-R
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

hold on....isn't the entire point of this website to discuss the merits of how various pieces of gear sound? many think pods, for all their convenience, sound......how do i put this....bad.

so how is this not a valid discussion? there are certainly enough threads on every conceivable pre amp and compressor....and i would dare say that a POD will effect the way a guitar track sounds WAY more than choosing one of two high quality pre amps.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
So congratulations, you can make all that sound like a Pod.

The "gotcha" works both ways.

(Just kidding around, but really, what do you expect from this group of wiseasses)

Peace,
-R
what he's not saying is that he was micing a POD heh
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Randy Staub, who is far better at guitar sounds than BC mixed an album a while back with all Pods sounds and no one was the wiser. So using one man to make a point --really doesnt make a point. Unless he is the only ME alive

The Part of the interview in which Bob shows he doesnt understand that Ampfarm and Pod are the same exact sound is cut from the quote

I have never had a problem mixing them. He has probably has gotten tracks from users who didnt know how to make Pod sound good. With all its options of cabs and mic's it actually quite easy to make sound bad.

You get that with real amps too but there are less ways to screw up the voicing

And make no mistake..he is talking about the voicing not bing right for the song.

Look, this is just a man. I dont worship men, and if he cant make them work--then he's not as good as he thinks he is. But I suspect he is just ignorant of the Pod versons and what they are capable of in the hands of someone who knows how to use it. Because I have heard them work a thousand times and so has everyone else here because they are all over countless albums, TV, an commercials

So the question is....is the user's ear talented enough to make it sound good and is the ME talented enough to mix it. The facts are already in--it is being done. So if your in the group who cant make it work..sorry...its you or the player who recorded them. Dont misrepresent the argument though--this is not about what sounds best---its about if you can make it work, and you can.

I bet thats an old interview and he's talking about an old version of the Pod. Give me a real amp anyday..but requiring it is just childish. Thats like saying no Hi-hats because they are hard to mix. I mean do you have talent or not?
Old 7th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post

The Part of the interview in which Bob shows he doesnt understand that Ampfarm and Pod are the same exact sound is cut from the quote.
Maybe he was talking about using amp farm to crunch up drums etc. I know lots of guys that use ampfarm but would never run a guitar through it.

Quote:
I have never had a problem mixing them. He has probably has gotten tracks from users who didnt know how to make Pod sound good. With all its options of cabs and mic's it actually quite easy to make sound bad. Look, this is just a man. I dont worship men, and if he cant make them work--then he's not as good as he thinks he is. But I suspect he is just ignorant.....
Cool. Please post clips or direct us to where we can buy some of your all pod guitar mixes that are on par with a Bob Clearmountain mix. This will give me some hope that it can be done and I just need to learn new tricks. Not looking for mixes that came out "not bad". I want to hear mixes that are amazing.

Quote:
So the question is....is the user's ear talented enough to make it sound good and is the ME talented enough to mix it.
I have always though Bob Clearmountain was one of the best mixers on the planet. Apparently you are better. Looking forward to hearing some of your pod mixes "user name absolute"

Quote:
I bet thats an old interview and he's talking about an old version of the Pod. Give me a real amp anyday..but requiring it is just childish. Thats like saying no Hi-hats because they are hard to mix. I mean do you have talent or not?
Its from his web site, not an interview. Says he updated the page June,2007.
Old 7th September 2007
Old 7th September 2007
mwd
Gear Maniac

This POD debate reminds me of when I was 16 and worked for my Grandpa fixing typewriters.

I had just started playing guitar. Bout'.... 37 years ago.

I took my guitar (with strings an inch off the frets) to work with me. There was an old Hispanic barber had the shop next to ours. I was griping what a lousy p.o.s. guitar it was and he said mind if I see it. In my cocky punk head I thought "sure ol' man and what are you going to do with it?" ...but he was a nice man so I was nice and handed it to him.

He tore that guitar neck up from one end to the other with beautiful lightning fast flamenco guitar in absolute perfect intonation.

Handed it back to me and said sounds great to me.

I pee'd my pants.

For 37 years I've found it hard to blame the gear.
Old 8th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by papiel View Post
Thurston is awesome.
This is a cool promo movie.
There are no shots of a pod being used on a guitar in this movie.
There is a world of difference between a bass and a guitar getting recorded direct.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwd View Post
This POD debate reminds me of when I was 16 and worked for my Grandpa fixing typewriters.

I had just started playing guitar. Bout'.... 37 years ago.

I took my guitar (with strings an inch off the frets) to work with me. There was an old Hispanic barber had the shop next to ours. I was griping what a lousy p.o.s. guitar it was and he said mind if I see it. In my cocky punk head I thought "sure ol' man and what are you going to do with it?" ...but he was a nice man so I was nice and handed it to him.

He tore that guitar neck up from one end to the other with beautiful lightning fast flamenco guitar in absolute perfect intonation.

Handed it back to me and said sounds great to me.

I pee'd my pants.

guess it's time to shut down this site then, eh?
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

pods are awesome !!!!.....

with headphones for keeping the shredder guitar players out of your hair while mixing or doing something else important...keeps em busy wankin' for hours !!!

love em.
Old 8th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwd View Post

I still do not get where people find this thread to be a about blaming the tools. If anything its just the opposite. All us anti-pod people are saying that we do not know how to make records with distorted pod guitar sound great. This seems a lot more about admitting our own weakness. Blaming the tools would be saying something like "I can't make Pod guitars sound good because I only have API EQs. If I had Neve EQs I could make it work."

There are a lot of guys on this board that are better mixers than I am and have longer more impressive discographies than I do, but I have mixed a few hundred records and every time a record has come to me with Pod guitars, the guitars fought all the other elements in the mix and the over all result was badly compromised because if it.

I am not even saying that there are not great Pod guitar tones out there, its just that I have never heard them and the overwhelming majority of the ones I have heard have been mediocre at best. I have never heard one I would describe as pretty good.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
I have never heard one I would describe as pretty good.
That's an opinion....but look anybody who has mixed a Steve Morse album gets a free pass from me.

and still I don't think I'm a POD defender & I've been anti POD for years but I think they can work & have worked and I still think Bob C's statement is classic goodness.

On another note...yet parallel, the Line 6 Green delay IMO is a great pedal but slammed by analog geeks everywhere who would say give me the real thing.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I think the POD is amazing. A miracle of modern technology. With the flip of a switch, you can go from a Hi Gain Marshall stack to a little 50s Fender tube amp, or a Vox or Mesa Boogie or countless others, plus a complete palette of effects! All that in a cool little red bean shaped wonder that relatively costs pennies and is dead simple to use!! To get all those sounds with amps and mics and pres and everything...holy cow!!! That would be a crapload of money and effort and work. Just lifting and moving those amps around...christ what do they put in 'em...bricks? The Pod weighs a pound...maybe 2!! There's really only one slight drawback with the POD that I can think of, very minor, hardly even worth mentioning....and that's that it sounds like complete dog ****. But otherwise...!!!
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
I think the POD is amazing. A miracle of modern technology. With the flip of a switch, you can go from a Hi Gain Marshall stack to a little 50s Fender tube amp, or a Vox or Mesa Boogie or countless others, plus a complete palette of effects! All that in a cool little red bean shaped wonder that relatively costs pennies and is dead simple to use!! To get all those sounds with amps and mics and pres and everything...holy cow!!! That would be a ****load of money and effort and work. Just lifting and moving those amps around...christ what do they put in 'em...bricks? The Pod weighs a pound...maybe 2!! There's really only one slight drawback with the POD that I can think of, very minor, hardly even worth mentioning....and that's that it sounds like complete dog ****. But otherwise...!!!
+1 !!!!!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

rockman FTW!!~
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Classic!
Old 8th September 2007
SK1
Lives for gear

What about a pod through a power amp into a cab and mic ?

It certainly sounds different from the pod direct sound.

heh
Old 8th September 2007
SK1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
........ All us anti-pod people are saying that we do not know how to make records with distorted pod guitar sound great. .......
So, are you saying your ok with the clean pod sounds ??

Or just that the clean sounds are easier to work with than than the distorted pod stuff ?

Old 8th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK1 View Post
So, are you saying your ok with the clean pod sounds ??

Or just that the clean sounds are easier to work with than than the distorted pod stuff ?
Clean pod sounds do not f++k up all other instruments on the record in the same way that a distorted pod sound does (and by distorted I mean bluesy gain or the amount of gain you might find on an old REM record on upwards).

I am rarely a fan of clean Pod sounds, I have never heard one that I would find on par with a SM57 stuck in front of a Fender Twin or Roland JC120, but they do not really screw up records that much.
Old 8th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
I think the POD is amazing. A miracle of modern technology. With the flip of a switch, you can go from a Hi Gain Marshall stack to a little 50s Fender tube amp, or a Vox or Mesa Boogie or countless others, plus a complete palette of effects! All that in a cool little red bean shaped wonder that relatively costs pennies and is dead simple to use!! To get all those sounds with amps and mics and pres and everything...holy cow!!! That would be a crapload of money and effort and work. Just lifting and moving those amps around...christ what do they put in 'em...bricks? The Pod weighs a pound...maybe 2!! There's really only one slight drawback with the POD that I can think of, very minor, hardly even worth mentioning....and that's that it sounds like complete dog ****. But otherwise...!!!
thumbsupthumbsup

For me saying that a digital amp emulators lets you switch from a Boogie Dual Rectifier sound, to a Plexi sound to a Twin sound, etc is like saying that the great thing about epcot center at Disney world is that is allows you to visit all these different countries in one day. Its not exactly like going to China, France and Norway, but its close enough.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search