The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do i need a furman? Dynamics Plugins
Old 20th April 2009
Gear Addict

I'm not a rocket surgeon, but I feel I've been blessed.
I got the Furman IT-20 balanced power supply from
GC that was the store studio unit for $200! I nearly
fell off my chair and thought they had the wrong
model # or something. It's really great knowing
my system is on clean power. ALL my stuff runs
better, and star grounding, ground lifting, rack rail isolating,
and all that crap is OVER.

Beware of "surge protection". Most of these gizmos have
what are called "MOV"s in them. They do take a hit
for you, but they degrade. Test an old strip and see
how many volts are coming out, and then test the wall.

Voltage regulators are great. They make sure the power is stable
as it fluctuates up and down.
Check this out!

No, it's not a hospital!
It's my friend's solar studio.
Guy's a nut, but in a great way.
Scientist, acoustics fanatic.
That equi=tech is as big as a BIG fridge.
He ain't messin' around.
Old 20th April 2009
I have a monster conditioner. A few months after I got it we moved from NYC to a house in the country (PA). One night there was a bad storm. The next day the monster was fried but all my gear was fine. Sweetwater replaced the monster unit.

Could a lesser piece of gear have protected my stuff, I dunno, I'm just happy to know that what I've got will do the job.

As for noise, that all depends on how bad your line is. I really like the fact that my monster box tells me the incoming voltage even though it doesn't regulate it. Every so often for whatever reason it gets up to 129 and I just shut everything down and leave it alone. Monster actually claims to do some different kinds of filtering for digital vs analog vs high power gear. I dunno if it's all BS but if it is at least they went through the trouble to really sell it .

Balanced power is wonderful. If you can afford it then it's not overkill. I can't yet but I'm looking forward to it. Monster makes a box that's a few hundred less than furman in the balanced tax bracket.

BTW, I used to have an AR15. That's a cool box. The voltage regulation is nice for not stressing out your gear but most of those boxes regulate in steps and if it does need to make a change and you happen to be recording, there's a chance you'll hear it. My AR15 literally went up in flames in a Paris hotel. I had to put it out on the balcony. Darnedest thing.
Old 20th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmsweetohm View Post
BTW, I used to have an AR15. That's a cool box. The voltage regulation is nice for not stressing out your gear but most of those boxes regulate in steps and if it does need to make a change and you happen to be recording, there's a chance you'll hear it. My AR15 literally went up in flames in a Paris hotel. I had to put it out on the balcony. Darnedest thing.
Oh that's not good!

Do you know if the monster balanced power thing kill the hum like the furman does, that video on furman's site was pretty convincing.
Old 20th April 2009
Lives for gear

It seems like the monster power balanced power is 300$ less than the furman.
But I really wonder what's that digital, analog and computer plugs thing...

I run an OTB setup with a computer for recording, an analog console and outboard gear to mix including some digital reverb...
Where would I plug those, doesn't make sence to me...
Old 21st April 2009
Old 21st April 2009
Lives for gear

I never noticed any difference in signal when I used the furman conditioners. BUT the difference that was made when we put everything on these was night and day! from a little bit of crackle/hum to a background that was totally black/dead silent.

save up the pennies and get something nice. the furman products did not cut it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philboy View Post
Hi!

I'm almost done with my new home studio setup, recently bought a few preamps and effect processors, ready to record... but i was wondering... do i need a furman now???

Apart from protecting gear against voltage spikes, what's the benefit of having one? Does it really clean up audio signal? I'm currentely connecting my gear directly to a standard power bar and have no ground loop or noise problem, so i was wondering if it would be superfluous to purchase one?

After looking lots of pictures of various studio setups here, i noticed some have one, some don't...

Suggestions?

Phil
Old 21st April 2009
Gear Maniac

Hi,

I had a power outage a few years ago blow up the power supply in my PC and a couple of fuses in some gear. It wasn't a difficult repair. They just sent me a new power supply unit and I replaced it. I bought some Monster and Furman surge and spike protectors for under a hundred bucks each. For convenience I like the ones in rack format. But they do the same crap...

Nevertheless, never had anything burn or blow since. And apparently Los Angeles is like a 3rd world country we have a few outages a yearheh. Before I moved here I had only experienced outages a handful of times in 20 years.heh
Old 21st April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
I never noticed any difference in signal when I used the furman conditioners. BUT the difference that was made when we put everything on these was night and day! from a little bit of crackle/hum to a background that was totally black/dead silent.

save up the pennies and get something nice. the furman products did not cut it here.
Which model and which furman did you use?
Old 22nd April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
Which model and which furman did you use?
we had two power factor PRO units and the 1500??? model UPS.

I now use and love my 4 Richard Gray Model 400s and also use PS Audio Noise harvesters.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search