The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NAMM Booth Advice Dynamics Plugins
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Nut

NAMM Booth Advice

Hi! New here, thanks.

Had a quick question for anyone that has set up a booth at NAMM. My company is a new NAMM member and we are looking to set up the minimum 10x10 booth for the show Winter 08 in Anaheim.

I'm wondering what kind of hidden costs I might be hit with. The initial cost of the whole 10x10 booth is $2700 ($27/sq foot). I spoke with the NAMM people and they said that there are no hidden fees. The only additional fees would be to hire union labor to set up an elaborate booth.

Does anyone know what the ACTUAL cost of a 10x10 booth at NAMM is? I am kind of skeptical that the NAMM space cost is the only thing we will be hit with.

Thanks.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Guru

I was never in charge of paying the $$$ for trade show booths, so I can't comment on specifics, but some of the "add-ons" are:

Transporting in your booth to the floor, phone line, electrical, carpet, padding for the carpet, set up (sometime mandatory), internet, storage of your crates, etc. and on and on and on. Even stuff like taping down the carpet. If there's a way to eek more money out of you, they will. Don't forget, when you get there you are a committed and captive victim. Seriously. And it may not be NAMM, it can be the venue's that the trade show is located in. Try to figure out every possible thing you might need or be charged with and nail that down with NAMM - in WRITING - before you commit. That old addage probably applies - if you have to ask, you can't afford it. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. There is no doubt that you will get hit with "something". Good luck with your endeavor!!! What are you showing? Cheers,

bp
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

dunno, but if u wanna get noticed, get near the apple/digidesing booths. thats where everyone goes and usually is more packed.
Old 4th September 2007
People at some shows moan that it costs more to get the union staff to transport equipment from the loading bay to the booth than it does to ship it from one side of the country to the other..
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

NAMM is a little more reasonable than other shows, but not by much.

As DrBill said, they will charge for anything they can.

Electricity - mandatory, and minimum $150

Carpet - mandatory and minimum $300

Drayage - If your whole booth can be hand carried by one person from the parking lot, you may not be charged anything. But to have products, furniture, etc., shipped to the show site will cost you. One package via UPS shipped to them will cost you a fee of at least $50. Taking a pallet or large container a few feet from their backstage storage to your booth will cost hundreds in and hundreds out.

Furniture - A cheap folding chair rents for $50, and better furniture costs more and more. I've done trade shows where I brought a few samples - I bought a small table, a few folding chairs, and a plant from a local store, hand-carried them in, and left them there at the end of the show. It would have cost more to rent, and it would have cost more to ship your own stuff there and back. The shows usually have packages to help you rent a reasonable booth at a discount price - you show up and it's already assemled - this can save you money if it saves you a night in a hotel in Anaheim.

I'd say that the $2700 is about half of your total show expense (not counting travel, lodging, food, etc.) if you ship in a large amount of stuff.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
dunno, but if u wanna get noticed, get near the apple/digidesing booths. thats where everyone goes and usually is more packed.
You have to be a NAMM member for YEARS, maybe decades, before you'll get a booth in that area.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

well i am one of the union employees that work the trade shows.
First of all nobody forces you to rent a table or chairs or carpet.You can bring your own stuff.But if you want to rent that stuff you have to pay for someone to bring it to your booth.We can't work for free.Some shows will require that you have carpet cause it looks bad if you don't.If you have a booth that can be set up in a 1/2 hour or an hour with out tools you will not be stopped by the union stewards.As far as the teamsters bringing your stuff to your booth it will cost more.We have so many peple bringing stuff in it has to be organized.And after the show we can't have everybody bringing stuff out by themselves .It become a security and safety issue at some point.The trade show business is huge and very important to the economy.For the people that work the shows we appreciate your business and cooperation .
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks for the info.

OK, so the outside the obvious expenses (shipping gear, lodging etc.) What might my NAMM costs look like for a 10x10?

Here are 2 prospective situations I foresee:
A) We carry everything in ourselves in 1 or 2 trips on carts from a Uhaul. We bring our own furniture.
B) The union insists that they unload a small uhaul van, they take their time - they charge us for an hour or so.

I know it's hard to estimate, but what kind of additional costs might I be looking at for these 2 scenarios?
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit friendly View Post
Thanks for the info.

OK, so the outside the obvious expenses (shipping gear, lodging etc.) What might my NAMM costs look like for a 10x10?

Here are 2 prospective situations I foresee:
A) We carry everything in ourselves in 1 or 2 trips on carts from a Uhaul. We bring our own furniture.
B) The union insists that they unload a small uhaul van, they take their time - they charge us for an hour or so.

I know it's hard to estimate, but what kind of additional costs might I be looking at for these 2 scenarios?
Rabbit, with all due respect to Mikey, (and I don't know what city he works in which is a huuuuge variable in the equation), the teamsters are likened to working with the mob. You pay and you pay. And if you can't pay, you pay anyway. It's not about keeping things secure or organized. It's about them making $$$$. And they are quite good at doing that.

If you don't have the financial wherewithal for that scenario, and if NAMM will not guarantee you exactly how much it will cost, I suggest not going unless you can afford to pay double what you think it will cost you. I would not plan on walking in with ANY of your booth/supplies. You may be able to....or you may not. Depending on who is working the floor and how easily you are coerced. For more detailed information, I'd suggest contacting via PM some of the manufacturers who frequent this board and have specifically done NAMM in Anaheim. I'm sure they would be happy to share war stories, numbers and information with you. Just know it's like building a house. No matter what you think it will cost, and no matter how many ways you figure it, it's going to cost a lot more.

bp
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

10x10... my historical average for the winter show is about $6-$8k. But that includes rental/purchase of various things that constitute what the booth is....from props to counters to signs to supplies etc etc

If you plan to hang a huge sign way up on the wall or suspended, factor that cost in as well. If you plan on setting up a card table and two folding chairs in the spot....which I have actually seen people do over the years...that'll save you some $ (don't know if it will draw traffic for you though).

My experience is that every day you walk through those big bay doors for setup and teardown, you are going to experience an outpouring of money to the point your credit card may melt. The idea of course is to generate enough business and show orders to dwarf your expenses (that's the concept anyway).

As to the concept that the union is somehow "getting" you...nope. I'll tell ya, the guys working to set up the show...all of them from any area...are the greatest, most helpful people I've ever run into. They are just fantastic year after year. The show costs are what they are. They're not evil and they're not tied to some scheme to extort the highest amount possible out of exhibitors.

There are also the various factors of parking and lodging at winter Namm, but we're from here in OC anyway, so we know how to beat all those costs down to zero each year.

If this is your first year, they'll probably stick you down in the dungeon (basement).
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

''As to the concept that the union is somehow "getting" you...nope. I'll tell ya, the guys working to set up the show...all of them from any area...are the greatest, most helpful people I've ever run into. They are just fantastic year after year''.
Thanks for that nice comment.I work in the LA area and we do have some lazy people .But in general things go very good and most people are happy even if they are forced to use our workers.They realize that they did need us after all.
Most people don't realize what goes into putting on NAMM..All those soundrooms ,special furniture ,hanging signs ,laying isle carpet,laying out the floor setupand electrical , ect.Not to mention all the planning that goes into the show by the people at Freeman Decorating .All of those people make money and have to eat.It really is alot of work.We are into the show 4 days or more before exhibitors show up.You have to remember that we work for companies that make money off us.So the price does seem high i know.And for a new company it is hard to spend the money.But you are going to get the best exposer to people that may purchase your product.And it is that connection that you are there for.I suggest you check with the Freeman Decorating company for prices.If you need electrical hook up that has to be layed out for you .Good luck on your show
Resources for conventions, corporate events, exhibits, expositions and trade shows
Old 5th September 2007
As I understand it, for winter NAMM they to start you off in the basement 'Siberia' hall (with zillions of Korean guitar manufacturers you have never heard of) and after a few years, you graduate to the ground level, more prestigious halls.

But get clarification on that..

Despite a few grouchy manufacturers shocked at the porterage costs, or wondering where the hell their stuff is..exhibition workers all buzz about in a good natured way.. its pretty exciting to see it all swing in action. I think the experienced exhibitors get into it and have a patient, 'might as well enjoy it' attitude and kid around with all the various workers. You can attract more bees with honey than you can with vinegar.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks for the advise all!
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

yea but if you have a new product i would think you would be better off down in E hall with others that have new products,instead of getting lost in the middle of all the big booths upstairs.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

yea but if you have a new product i would think you would be better off down in E hall with others that have new products,instead of getting lost in the middle of all the big booths upstairs.
What is the product you will be showing?
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Another reason that slots don't often open up in the "good" spots is that when the contracts go out in early summer, your first choice is to renew the spot you had last year...or for the last 20 years. Since the convention remodel a few years back, the basement is now the official starter point for ..well..newbies.
Old 4th December 2007
Gear Nut

OK.... Everything is squared away for NAMM... except Internet.

I cannot for the life of me find any information on this. Does anyone have any experience with getting a wireless connection from a third party? The one quote I saw somewhere was like $500 for a simple wireless connection for the show. That's ridiculous!

Any suggestions?
Old 4th December 2007
Lives for gear

well i don't know about wireless but i see them running internet wires to the booths all the time.You will have to pay what they want for it.A guy has to drop a cable to your booth from the overhead
Old 4th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit friendly View Post
The one quote I saw somewhere was like $500 for a simple wireless connection for the show. That's ridiculous!
No. Me spending $175 on getting plowed at TGIFridays is ridiculous.
Old 4th December 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
well i don't know about wireless but i see them running internet wires to the booths all the time.You will have to pay what they want for it.A guy has to drop a cable to your booth from the overhead

Yes, obviously. But $500 for a wireless connection is out of the question.
Old 4th December 2007
Lives for gear

My mobile phone can act as a modem (Verizon Wireless' 3G network - plenty fast for checking email) tethered to a computer via bluetooth or USB for $35/mo. I've used this at trade shows.
Old 5th December 2007
Lives for gear

why do you need internet at the show?
again you have no idea what goes on ..They have to pay the girl that takes your oder
and the guys that drives the cables to the show
,the guy that installs it into your booth
,probably the general contrator for setup on the internet booth where they take your order

,probably the convention center for letting them into the show as a contractor,
then they have to make a profit!!
Old 5th December 2007
Gear Nut

I need an internet connection because my "product" is a website. We can make the website self-contained on a private computer, but obviously it's much easier to do this with a real internet connection.
Old 5th December 2007
I've seen those geeks on TV standing in a lake with their butt plug Blue ass or tooth thingy shoved up the ass of a laptop to get mobile internet, it must be cheaper than $500? At least you get to take it home.

As to need, at Rhodes we were uploading pics from the show, interviews with famous artists, checking other sites for reactions, etc. It was important and worthwhile.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 5th December 2007
Lives for gear

I wish it was less expensive for you guys a new company trying to get off the ground.The only thing i can say is it is the best place to have thousands of people in the music business see your product.I hope it is all worth while for you and that you have a sucessful show.I think he must be right about that 500$ charge for internet,i wouldn't doubt it thats for 4 days isn't it?
Old 5th December 2007
At Javitz (AES), wireless internet was around $130/day and it was pretty darn slow. I'm not sure of the cost at NAMM.

Your best bet is usually to try and share a booth with another company if you're on a budget. The Freeman guys at NAMM are great BTW. Parking at the back of the hall is around $6.00/day (with no in and out).

Rail
Old 5th December 2007
Lives for gear

Jim Williams are you the owner of Rhodes piano now?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search