The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Event asp8 front port problems: G.Center BS? Modular Synthesizers
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Event asp8 front port problems: G.Center BS?

Guitar Center had a great sale going yesterday for Labor Day. I was talking with the salesperson about getting a pair. They were on sale for 350 per. That's the best deal I've seen. He told me that almost every pair he's seen has had problems with the port in the front coming loose from sustained use with heavy bass. In fact, the one they had in the store had a problem with both ports doing this. By the time I checked their available stock..they only had one left. They had the asp6's for 250 per...but only had one of those too.

They did have mackie 824's for 350 apiece too.

Was he full of ****? Do they make a higher commission on 824's or something?

Thanks.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Never had any issues here.

I find that hard to imagine.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Nut

no issues here either!
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

No issues here. They're trying to blow out the stock on the 824's now that the version 2 is out, so I'm sure they've been told to do whatever it takes to move the Mackies.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

that $350/ea on the ASP8s is about what i got mine for last year on labor day (they were doing $299/ea last year), totally worth it. heh

i haven't had a single problem with mine in the last year, let alone with the ports. i don't abuse em, though, either.

given the drive to move the mackies, i can imagine all kinds of things getting said in order to get them out the door.

cheers,
wade
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have used mine for 2 years with levels in the pain range (for short periods) and I have had no bass port issues. That sounds more like a transporting issue than a real world use scenario. They are wonderful monitors by the way.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

The ASP8s can develop a buzz issue at around 200 Hz, which is a resonant frequency of the cabinet. Either a wire can start buzzing against a port tube (the ASP8 has a reflex design, ie the tube curves back around, so there is a lot of it in there for wires to touch), or the amplifier can start buzzing, I'm not sure why.

I've had both of mine back to Event, and the issue is gone - I think that they are hesitant to replace the amps, but that is what eventually seems to have solved the problem for me.

Definitely a minus. I think they sound really good, although I don't trust the bass entirely.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut
my ports are loose and out of place. they're in my mobile studio.. so all the bumps in the road are probably the culprit. a real bummer, though!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search