The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Twin 6 or Bowers & Wilkins 805s. Which should I get???
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear
Focal Twin 6 or Bowers & Wilkins 805s. Which should I get???

I am currently looking to upgrade/replace my genelec 1031A's for under $4k. I think I have it narrowed my best options down to a pair of Focal twin 6's ($2900/pair) or B&W 805s ($2500/pair). Does anyone have experience with these 2 and can sway me either way?
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

haven't used the B&W's but the twins are damn cool

J.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

I never heard the B&W, but I own the Twin's Be for 3 months now and I can't imagine mixing without now... My best buy of these last years (with the UAD cards).
Old 5th June 2012
Here for the gear

hello GS.

I know this is a very old thread, but I still wanted to reply, if anyone could find it useful for their own "research".
I currently own a pair of 805D ( the new and upgraded 805S), and I am actually looking to replace them with Twins. I love the sound of the twins in near field...but I don't know how they perform in mid field, in an ordinary livingroom...say 2.5 meters away. Anyone?

The B&W's are far more pleasant to listen to...not so forward in the midrange, so makes everything very smooth and enjoyable. The treble is one of the best in the world, and almost all other speakers sound harsh, when you have gotten used to their Diamond tweeter. But the Be tweeter have sort of the same characteristics...very non distorting and extremely fast.
The reason I want to change is that I love a transparent midrange, and I feel the B&W are a bit retained, making them somewhat boring at times. But still, very pleasant on bad recordings.

For music listening they are great, and probably one of the best standmount speakers avaliable, but for mixing/mastering, I feel they are too colored.

I am hoping to try a pair of Twins in my livingroom soon, and will tell you all about it...

cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search