The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Designs for acoustic panels to increase reflection Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Head

Designs for acoustic panels to increase reflection

I'm thinking of building some movable acoustic panels to increase the level of reflection at one end of our live room which is designed to be relatively dead. The room acoustics are already well controlled but it would be useful to have the flexibility to change the room sound if necessary.

We already have several 4 feet by 3 feet isolation screens and I'm hoping we could adapt these by attaching a panel of some kind to one side.

Anyone got any ideas on what might work best?

I'm thinking of something not too heavy or bulky so the panels can be moved and stored away when not in use.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Maniac

hrrmmm....unroll some linoleum over them?...
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot Neck View Post
I'm thinking of building some movable acoustic panels to increase the level of reflection at one end of our live room which is designed to be relatively dead. The room acoustics are already well controlled but it would be useful to have the flexibility to change the room sound if necessary.

We already have several 4 feet by 3 feet isolation screens and I'm hoping we could adapt these by attaching a panel of some kind to one side.

Anyone got any ideas on what might work best?

I'm thinking of something not too heavy or bulky so the panels can be moved and stored away when not in use.
How about some diffusion in front of them?

Glenn
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

i was in a room once where the guy had 3-4 panels that were about 2'x4' and they were just nice planks attached to a frame (cedar i think). He had little stands he could put them on or hang them on certain parts of the walls and it basically would just add a reflective surface. I don't know how well it worked, but he seemed to like it for when he was tracking, and then he'd move them out of the room when mixing.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

what about using wooden panels (e.g plywood)?

Would it be necessary to have something to increase diffusion on the front (e.g. wooden strips)? If so, is there a pattern that works best?
Old 5th September 2007

Add diffusors.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Diffusors would make the room sound bigger. Something like a mirror would make it more reflective.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search