The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who is using a Ti-Book and for what?
Old 7th November 2002
Lives for gear

Who is using a Ti-Book and for what?

This is total gear lust, but I have been wanting a Titanium book ever since they came out. I am seeing more used ones on the market now so I might take the plunge.

How can I justify? Who is using one and what are you doing with it? Could it be good for live tracking of 8 tracks, or even more?

Watcha think?
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

right this moment is an excellent time to get a brand new 667 from mac mall if they still have them left for $2k. If they don't have those left...definately go for a new 1k with superdrive, incredible value...I bought my 667 back in Feb and it's lost 33% of it's value in less than a year. I wouldn't buy a used one...!!!

That being said...getting to the good stuff...

I travel a lot...I'm in an airport on average at least 2 days a week. I do so many things on it. I have all my planners, Internet and Digital Performer, ProTools LE (mbox), Reason, Recycle, SoftSampleCell...
Digital performer is very flexible with a 828firewire interface, although I don't use it anymore, 24 tracks of ProTools LE is pretty powerful as well...I also have some video apps that I can get some stuff done with ...

but...the best part for me is that I have a 4 slot magma with ProTools HD3 with a 192interface. The system is rock solid, has never crashed yet. I pack all of this and headphone amp, hard drives, and headphones as a carry on. I travel with at least another person, so it really takes up two carry ons...
ProTools HD is setup on another partition with seperate operating system. This way the system is bare...and I can use MBox in the plane for edits, etc on the other OS partition...

The system is used as live playback for multitracks and effects in concerts...and as a portable writing rig...as well as being used in actual sessions no matter where they are, without having to rent, reconfigure, transfer, etc...

So as far as your 8 track recording question...an Ibook can handle 24 tracks at least on it's own with some plugins...the Titanium depending on what format is quite impressive...

So the possibilities are more than endless...it just depends on how much money you want to put out.
Old 8th November 2002
I also have an 8mo. old 667 and it's on 24/7 running OSX for email/web/graphic design/Reason/Logic. When I have to do remote tracking, I boot into OS9, hook my rack up via an RME CardBus/Digiface and track to a 40GB Firewire drive.

My girlfriend is beginning to think I like my tibook better than her...tut
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

I have a Tibook 500/DP 3.02 rig I take out with me all the time. I'm using the MetricHalo 2882 box for I/O.The rig has been rock solid for me.

Tibook 500 OS 9.1
DP 3.02
Metrichalo MIO
OWC Mercury Elite Firewire Drive

Rob
Old 8th November 2002
Gear Addict

It's not a good time to buy one. The new Powerbooks are just about to come out, so the prices on everything will drop.

As a matter of fact, the prices on all Apple laptops just dropped yesterday:

Check apple.com or:
http://www.macrumors.com/
Old 8th November 2002
Ummm...the new Powerbooks came out two days ago Apple

Yummy!
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

yes THEY DID get announced/released two days ago...that's why IT IS A GOOD TIME TO BUY ONE!!
and you have two choices....
the old ones on clearance at reduced prices (as in the 667 in my above post, www.macmall.com)
or the brand new ones that will hold their value for a few months until the next round comes throught!!!
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

Is there any substance to the grumblings I've heard about the Titanium Powerbooks that says they have very noisy fans? This could make them rather unappealing for certain remote-recording scenarios.

-dg
Old 8th November 2002
They ain't quiet! On high it can sound like a hair dryer in the next room :eek: , but I haven't had a problem with any of my remote stuff.
Old 8th November 2002
Gear Addict

The old Titanium Powerbooks have very loud CD Roms, and they get VERY hot. I'm writing on one now. It's the first generation of the Titanium books. Supposedly fixed in the newer ones.

I'm holding out for the G4 IBook. I find the Titanium to be too fragile.
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

I have heard about the hot books. Not heard about the fan noise.

Bleen, I am probably looking at a set up similar to what you have.

Very interesting..
Old 9th November 2002
I'm writing this on a 12" screen Ibook.

I dont need a Ti - fagility IS an issue for me, I will probably go for a 14" Ibook.

I dig em....

Noise would piss me off..

Ibooks are merketed as durable for a student to throw in a rucksack / back pack.. That suits me, I'm a little clumsy..
Old 9th November 2002
Lives for gear

um yes...fan noise...
my 667 can get noisy with some apps....such as native Digital Performer...but when I run PTHD, it doesn't kick on stays cool...
The newer Tibooks (since the last revision, before this one) have larger heat sinks, so it's quieter. I'm writing on my Ti right now and my fan just kicked on... urrrgghh...but not too loud...My wife uses our 12" I book...tough as a rock, very quiet (fan doesn't really come on audibly if it even exist)...The Ibook is so durable...However, the Titanium is far from fragile except for the paint, and it really is quite a monster.

I don't know how long it will be before G4 Ibooks will be out, but it may be a while...I'm suprised there still kicking out G3s...
And also remember that the Ibooks don't have a cardbus slot, excluding possibility of some interfaces or any expansion chasis...But with firewire, there are a lot of options already.
Old 9th November 2002
Gear Head

I am writing on a 400 MHZ titanium G4. I do edits/Sound Replacer in bed with my MBOX. Program remixes, run spark, Reaktor, Cubase with M Tron. I have an 828 I use for demos during preprod as well outs for Unity when I am doing sample based sessions.
I have the hard drive partioned and the other hard drive is for internet,studio scheduling,quark express stuff etc.
With my Oxygen 8, and M box I have a very cool portable programming/keyboard setup I use when I am called in as a programmer.
I transfer data back in forth between my main Pro Tools rig via target firewire mode.
As well it fits in this very stylish bag I got at Banan republix last year as if it was made for such a purpose.
Old 9th November 2002
Gear Maniac

"I dont need a Ti - fagility IS an issue for me,"

personally I don't see one looking any gayer than the other
Old 9th November 2002
"I do edits/Sound Replacer in bed with my MBOX"

Old 9th November 2002
Gear Addict

Jules my brother, YOU need a holiday!tut
Old 9th November 2002
Gear Maniac

First Annual GearSlutz booze cruze?

Screw getting another overpriced portable...hold off on that must have new pre amp....Let go party get drunk and get rejected by women! woo hoo!!!

Old 12th November 2002
"I do edits/Sound Replacer in bed with my MBOX"

That was a QUOTE from Cannon Fo So!!!

rollz
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

Jules, do you need a special adaptor or "extender" for that? heh

So, I checked out a friend's book this weekend, heard the fan and am not too worried about the noise. He has an older one and man does it get hot. I would not use that in bed...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search