The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
console power supply problem
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

console power supply problem

I apologize if this is in the wrong place. After hanging out here a year or so ive started to notice things i never noticed on my gear before. I heard in a post a guy talking about how a bunch of cat hair had clogged up his rackmount power supply for his console and fried it. I had a long weekend so I thought id go over my gear and clean it all up. I took apart my power supply to clean it out and realized, ever since ive owned it the fan has never worked inside it. I know this seems stupid, but i bought the board second hand it and it always just seemed very quiet to me. Is this an easy fix or am I better off sending it out to someone? Does this just use a computer fan? Will the wiring be dangerous or tough?

The board is DDA and the power supply is a 2 rack space DDA power supply. I can take pictures later if nessecary.

Thanks.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear
1. Check voltage on supply to fan with multimeter.

2. If the voltage is there, replace fan. I think most fans run either on mains (i.e. 115 or 230V AC) or on 12V DC.

If you really have no idea what you are doing, get a tech to sort this out. He could check other parts whilst he is in there (caps, rectifiers etc) and clean the thing and replace the cooling paste under the rectifiers.

I think all DDAs ran on +/- 18V and had a 48V phantom supply as well and nothing else, so your fans should be mains fed.
Old 15th September 2007
We got a DDA console at the studio I work at. I'm amazed you didn't notice the fan wasn't working. Our fan wokrs fine, but we have had to move the power supply away from any other very hot processors/amps as we started to get crackling after running for 7-8 hours or so. The tell-tale sign is when the global solo LED starts to flicker.
Time to cool that power supply down!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search