The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Starting to Upgrade Single-Channel Preamps
Old 4th September 2007
Here for the gear

Starting to Upgrade

For our next album we are demoing each song before hitting the real studio with the label. I've been reading these forums for a while now, and I've started to build a modest home studio area where we have been recording the demos. They have turned out rather well, but unfortunately I've got a fever for more gear. So first I'll list my current set up, and then what I would like to upgrade to. I'll explain the choices as well, but I would love some feedback.

Current Build
Custom Built PC w/ Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 and 4 GB of RAM
Presonus Firebox
KRK V4
Shure SM57
Shure SM58
2 x Sennheiser e903
M-Audio Oxygen 8
M-Audio Trigger Finger
Cubase sx3

Desired Upgrade
Same PC
Presonus FP10 - mainly so I can have 8 inputs.
Presonus HP60
2 x AKG C1000
AKG D112
Presonus Eureka
AT4040

For now we have been able to borrow mics to record. In the demo's we had a Shure 52 on the kick, my SM57 on the snare, and a matched pair of some nueman pencil mic that has slipped my mind. Through my university we were able to record the guitars using a 421 on the amps, but we also did some recording at home with the 57 which sounded fine. Now first, I'm choosing a lot of Presonus gear for two reasons: 1) I love my Firebox and have been extremely pleased with it. 2) I've got a friend who can get me some deals through Presonus.

Basically, what would you upgrade first (after the FP10 that is) Should I start with Drum Mics, or go for a LDC? Any feedback would be great.

Ben
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motioneso View Post
For our next album we are demoing each song before hitting the real studio with the label. I've been reading these forums for a while now, and I've started to build a modest home studio area where we have been recording the demos. They have turned out rather well, but unfortunately I've got a fever for more gear. So first I'll list my current set up, and then what I would like to upgrade to. I'll explain the choices as well, but I would love some feedback.

Current Build
Custom Built PC w/ Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 and 4 GB of RAM
Presonus Firebox
KRK V4
Shure SM57
Shure SM58
2 x Sennheiser e903
M-Audio Oxygen 8
M-Audio Trigger Finger
Cubase sx3

Desired Upgrade
Same PC
Presonus FP10 - mainly so I can have 8 inputs.
Presonus HP60
2 x AKG C1000
AKG D112
Presonus Eureka
AT4040

For now we have been able to borrow mics to record. In the demo's we had a Shure 52 on the kick, my SM57 on the snare, and a matched pair of some nueman pencil mic that has slipped my mind. Through my university we were able to record the guitars using a 421 on the amps, but we also did some recording at home with the 57 which sounded fine. Now first, I'm choosing a lot of Presonus gear for two reasons: 1) I love my Firebox and have been extremely pleased with it. 2) I've got a friend who can get me some deals through Presonus.

Basically, what would you upgrade first (after the FP10 that is) Should I start with Drum Mics, or go for a LDC? Any feedback would be great.

Ben
tutt don't buy presonus... i bought a firestudio under bad advice it's been buggy to say the least... maybe if they released some new software it would be ok but i don't think much of the preamps either not enough gain. can't wait to get rid of it, i'll be saving for an RME or Apogee very soon.
Old 4th September 2007
Here for the gear

Sorry to hear that! What was wrong? So if you were looking @ an 8 channel audio interface now what would it be?
Old 21st September 2007
Gear Maniac

Hey there,
I partially agree with the second poster. I own/have owned lots of presonus gear. The Eureka was my first "serious preamp." I have also owned the Firestudio, Firepod, MP20, tubepre, and a digimax FS.

The only things I still have are the MP20 and Digimax FS.

Though the Eureka may kind of open your eyes when it comes to nicer preamps...please please please take my advice and save up for just a bit more. I bought mine with the free ad192 card because I figured it was too good of a deal to pass up. I was always happy with the results of the preamp, but it didn't stop me researching other preamps and considering what else I could buy.

Then I purchased a Universal Audio la-610. Let me tell you....I stopped caring so much what else was available for purchase. I finally found my sound. Some people will say they don't like them, and you might be one of them, but seriously look into the +$1000 range of preamps (great river me-1nv, ua la-610, many others). You won't be looking any longer to satisfy your gear fever.

Anyway...regardless of the other preamp options in the +$1000 range...you will be happier than with the Eureka.

I still love the MP20 with the burr-brown mod. It makes the channels very very clean and open. The digimax FS is an excellent compliment to my RME fireface 800. The HP60 looks like a great buy and I would recommend it, though I've never used one so do some research.

I LOVED my firefod I had before I upgraded to the firestudio. Firestudio was so glitchy with my system I had to sell it at a loss and go for the fireface. Never looked back since.

Okay enough of my advice.
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

what, no chandler stuff?
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motioneso View Post
but unfortunately I've got a fever for more...
Cowbell??? heh

Smartass...sorry about that! I think your list is looking pretty good...for demo material. As mentioned, a money preamp would be very beneficial. Could be the difference in capturing "THE" take on a demo and being able to actually use it on a final project. You can capture moments on demos that you'll just NEVER be able to repeat in the studio...passion, magic??? Don't mean to be cheesy. True though!

There are SOOOO many preamp choices and info on here...I won't start listing loads. I own the two mentioned thus far and would probably reccomend the Great River over the UA-610. I find it a little more versitile. Love the UA though. You wouldn't go wrong with either of them...or any of the others in that calibre that I'm sure people will reccomend.

Nothing wrong with a 57 on amp and snare duties. AKG D112? Don't know if I would put that on your list. Fine when you have a large mic locker. I'd maybe try and swing a 421...can work surprisingly well for vocals and kick, as well as amps.

Presonus HP60- I have ONE piece of Behringer gear...PowerPlay...or something like that. I've been meaning to get the HP60 to replace it and be Behringerless, but...it has rarely been turned off in 10 years and has always done just fine. The HP60 looks great. I've never owned anything Presonus, so I can't say one way or the other about their reliability.

Getting the deal on Presonus through your mate is nice. I guess just gauge what others say about their experience with them to make your decision. I haven't got a lot of advice about budget converters (PTHD land here), but have heard good things of RME. One other thing to consider would be M-Audio. I have clients that use them and it makes it very easy to open their sessions in Pro Tools HD. Just a thought.

Alright, I'll let others chime in. Good luck with everything. Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search