The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mbox2 what the hell is up ? Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Guru

Mbox2 what the hell is up ?

I just picked up one today because of my crappy Mbox, to much to my surprise the reviews on gearslut say they still have the whinny sound. I have not opened the box so i can take it back, you would think that they would have solved this issue by now. I have REV J
Damn Digi Designs.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

when I had an Mbox the Whine was gone when using 1/4" to XLR cables to the monitors. If I used 1/4" to 1/4" or RCA the whine was there.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwayne View Post
when I had an Mbox the Whine was gone when using 1/4" to XLR cables to the monitors. If I used 1/4" to 1/4" or RCA the whine was there.
Thanks, that could explain a possible ground /ground loop that i read about.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Guru

Yes i took the chit back, i don't care to EVER own any digidesigns gear again.....
thanks again for the gearslutz seach engines.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I really never liked the sound of the Mbox. I do like my modded 002r though. I think the firebox is way better than the Mbox. What did you decide to go with?
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
Yes i took the chit back, i don't care to EVER own any digidesigns gear again.....
thanks again for the gearslutz seach engines.
You can't exactly judge the whole of Digi's product line by the mbox. It's $500, what do you expect? Subtract $250 for the software (the cost of the M-Powered equivalent), It's a $250 box. Compared to anything else in that price range it fares pretty evenly.

Not trying to start a debate, but really man.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
You can't exactly judge the whole of Digi's product line by the mbox. It's $500, what do you expect? Subtract $250 for the software (the cost of the M-Powered equivalent), It's a $250 box. Compared to anything else in that price range it fares pretty evenly.

Not trying to start a debate, but really man.
Oh you are not, i already have the mbox and even though i got the mbox2 for only 350.00 new from GC i just could not see paying that for their same dumb ass issues again.

thanks for your response as well johnwayne
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

---------------- Listening to: WOW Gospel 2006 - Since Jesus Came (Featuring Kirk Franklin) via FoxyTunes

I have the MBox 1 and man I tell you that these are the noisest pres I've ever hear in my life which I haven't been living to long uner 18 years LOL
Old 6th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwayne View Post
I really never liked the sound of the Mbox. I do like my modded 002r though. I think the firebox is way better than the Mbox. What did you decide to go with?
how did you mod your 002?
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
how did you mod your 002?
Probably black lion mod...
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

Agreed that the mbox 2 isn't really a great unit...BUT the software is really qhat you're paying for. I use the mbox2 Pro at work and like it quite a bit. I've also used the Firebox at work and it's solid, but the construction isn't that great (specifically the pots....).

The Mbox2 Pro has done me well though...and even though Digi has given me some problems since PT 7 I STILL would choose to use ProTools as my first choice.

-Kyle
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Guru

The digital part of the mbox is ok, even though im not a PT fan at all, its the analog part that has the whining to it, damn !!!! dat machines, stand alone recorders etc don't have these issues why the mbox2 , software or not why build something so ****ty. mbox dfegad peroid
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I use MBoxPro and though looking fwd to having more rec channels and owning an Orpheus (or the new millennia media equivalent for it) I am not unhappy with the sound as opposed to cards I know before (Aardvark, M-audio and RME)
PS I will see Orph tomorrow @IBC.
(What am I saying, I heard the Forssell preamp and got goosebumbs....)
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
The digital part of the mbox is ok, even though im not a PT fan at all, its the analog part that has the whining to it, damn !!!!
Funny stuff, last week I hooked up my Mbox2 via S/Pdif trough my other soundcard, guess what...THE WHINE IS STILL THERE

But we allready have enough threads/posts on this, so why would I even bother... I've allready long given up that peace of *?!觧, now it's just a big dongle with a whine

Pzz

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search