The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good Cassette Recorder for 2-buss Mixdown Dynamics Plugins
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Good Cassette Recorder for 2-buss Mixdown

Okay, I know this looks stupid. I'm not a fan huge fan of cassette tape. I threw out my Tascam PortaStudio because my fridge was louder.

The thing is:

a) I have a cheap M-Audio 2-channel that isn't worth the money I spent

b) I can't afford a $2000 conversion box right now

and

c) I drive an 83 Ford Ranger with a tape deck and would like to listen to my work on the way home in crummy speakers.

I need a final format that I can listen and right now this situation is starting me in the face.

Any suggestions digital or analog?
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

Nakamichi's are amazing
Old 4th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed View Post
Nakamichi's are amazing
Yeah!!1 sometimes you can find a Nakamichi very cheap !!! but new they are not!
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

here's a thought...and i hate to say it..

but cassette decks are, small, bitchy, and being driven out of production..

so you'll have to look for a new one..

a drag, as there are some really cool decks from the 70's/early80's..

something like,

or perhaps.

what about a studer, just to be a wise ass..

also, i salute you in your efforts..
but ford rangers are giant pieces of ****.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

if you have a walkman you could get a cassette adpater and listen to your cds. but most of the adapters ive used have always imparted some sort of ****tiness to the sound it seems.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

lots of good akai GX tape recorders too...
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

i've always really liked tascam cassette decks. i have a 112 mkII and it's been working for 15 years now without a problem. i don't think cassettes are ****ty at all, actually I really like the sound.

couple of months ago a friend of mine was over, a professional bass player, who brought a cassette with a couple of tunes from different records he'd played on. we listened and talked and i grew more and more envious because every song on that tape had this warm silky sound, and the bass was perfectly round and smooth, and i thought ****e why is everybody mixing better than me.
but then came a couple of songs from a record i knew, and i know this record sounds crap because i have it. and it came to my mind that a lot of what i was hearing was the effect of the tape.
i asked my friend to bring in a couple of the original cds. it was true: most of the excitement about the sound had to do with the tape effect, the original recordings didn't throw me off my chair the least bit.

the story goes on:

coupla weeks later i have this great band in the studio and we're making a record, and, still struck by my late cassette experience, I decided to take my tascam deck back into the 'most-needed equipment' list and printed all the rough mixes onto cassette. the production was being mixed to tape anyway, so i thought why not get a bit of a tape feel on the roughs.
what happened was, the band fell so in love with the sound of these tapes, that during mix i tried to reconstruct these roughs, and, what proved to be most difficult, the cassette tape compression. i ended up mixing to 1/2" @ 7,5 ips, that got me in the ballpark. 3 songs on the record were actually mastered from that cassette in the end, because the rough mix just sounded and felt so much better than the official mix.
i haven't found a compressor on the market that gives me that punch on drums and smoothness in the low end like a cassette does. its awesome.

so doing rough mixes onto cassette to listen to in the car is a wonderful thing.
but careful, that sound is highly addictive.

tom
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

i mixed a song down from reaper into my 424mk][ and varispeed'd the outro for an effect and bounced it back into reaper. pretty nice results.

i get laughed at most of the time when i tell "ae's."
Old 4th September 2007

I wouldn't use a Nakamichi for this. I like Denon 3 head decks. I have about 40 of them still around with some having very little use....ever come up my way? you could pick the best one for $50... cost $500 new. GS pick up special.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'll be putting a tascam 112 in the for sale area here this week. It is the one with the balanced XLR ins and outs. Great condition but the meter bulbs are out.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
what about a studer, just to be a wise ass..
Yeah, really. That would have to happen.

Quote:
also, i salute you in your efforts..
but ford rangers are giant pieces of ****.
TOTALLY UNTRUE....I have had my 1983 Ford Ranger for two years in LOS ANGELES. I have driven this thing to death and it has not given me one single problem.

This is my 2nd Ford Ranger that's never given me a problem.

I don't know where yours are being made, but the one's I've had are awesome. Truthfully, and I'm a Chevy man.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
I wouldn't use a Nakamichi for this. I like Denon 3 head decks. I have about 40 of them still around with some having very little use....ever come up my way? you could pick the best one for $50... cost $500 new. GS pick up special.
I have no idea where Atascadero is, but that sounds like a good deal if it's in solid working order and has XLR inputs.

I can't believe I'm looking for a cassette deck with XLR inputs. I must be going through some kind of withdrawl.
Old 5th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post
I have no idea where Atascadero is, but that sounds like a good deal if it's in solid working order and has XLR inputs.

I can't believe I'm looking for a cassette deck with XLR inputs. I must be going through some kind of withdrawl.
Solid working order but no xlr's. These are high end hi-fi decks. I used them in a real time dup system with custom amps on the drive/return that interfaced them with my board. I still use one to playback cassettes when needed.
Atascadero is half way between L.A. and S.F. on highway 101. 16 miles north of San Luis Obispo. Wine country and lots of weekend tourist destinations on the central coast. If you're ever coming up this way give me a call and I'll show the studio and the wall 'o' cassette decks!
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Ok - don't laugh. I was in a similar situation with my 81 Toyota Truck. I had a tape deck and the thing is too bumpy to handle a CD.

I tried what you mention - recording to tape - but maybe I've become lazy, but it was too damn time consuming.

then - at Kragen auto parts I saw this for $90

RoadMaster Retail VRCD500SDU ** FREE SHIPPING **

It's a Car Stereo that can play MP3s off of a USB flash drive or a SD card.

I bought a 1GB flash drive for $15 and installed the stereo in my Truck - works amazingly well. OK - we are not toalking hifi here - just a practical solution.

It's super cool to be able to drag and drop MP3s on to this stick and hear it on my Car stereo. The head also displays song name/band info etc..

lD
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Solid working order but no xlr's. These are high end hi-fi decks. I used them in a real time dup system with custom amps on the drive/return that interfaced them with my board. I still use one to playback cassettes when needed.
Atascadero is half way between L.A. and S.F. on highway 101. 16 miles north of San Luis Obispo. Wine country and lots of weekend tourist destinations on the central coast. If you're ever coming up this way give me a call and I'll show the studio and the wall 'o' cassette decks!
Cool Rick, sounds fun. The girlfriend and I probably will take a trip in fall to get out of the town for a few days. If we decide to hit the wine country, I'll kick you a PM.

Thanks!

Quote:
Ok - don't laugh. I was in a similar situation with my 81 Toyota Truck. I had a tape deck and the thing is too bumpy to handle a CD.
Yeah, I had a 76 Toyota. God, that thing was a piece. Ugh.
Old 5th September 2007

Wall 'o' Cassette Decks!
Attached Thumbnails
Good Cassette Recorder for 2-buss Mixdown-img_cassette.jpg  
Old 5th September 2007
Here for the gear

Studio gear and hi-fi/consumer gear should not mix. The families will disapprove and there will always be problem with the marriage.

A cheap cassette off ebay? Go with NAD.

I've got money sunk into a home studio (Akai DPS24) and also a modestly pretty good "stereo"-listening system .... (Linn, MIT etc.)

My cassette of "Layla" is more tolerable to listen to than the Mobile Fidelity gold CD "Layla," which I turned in at my local CD store. (This says more about the conditions down at the Criteria Miami-Atlantic-beta MCI board that Tom Dowd used-studio than it does about my NAD cassette player). ... And that Clap and Duane plugged into Fender Champ amps that made their tone pretty weak.

Hey NAD ain't too bad, my old CD player (1990) still has more detail than most nowadays, nice design. .. NAD had, and may still have, the best bang for buck in the front end of home listening systems. But you can't design of course awesome amps for $400 bucks or something so the NAD superiority for the money ends there.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I was just given yesterday a Beocord 9000 tape machine, this thing is supposed to be the bees' knees in tape machines. Brought it home, plugged it in, and the tape won't spin, play , ff, reverse. Dammitt! I was thinking of trying to get it fixed. Anyone used one or know anything about it? Looks like a an 80's answering machine, but it pretty slick lookin.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

No reply on the Cassette deck thing lol But I still have an 86 Ford Ranger for hauling stuff. And it just won't die... Sometimes I wish it would. It's old enough to drink now! And is on it's 4th radio.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Guru

do yourself a favor and mix down to a decent hi-fi vcr... they sound incredible. you can transfer to cassette now, and later, when you get your good a/d, you can digitize your mix from the what is probably the best sounding format south of a studer.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

if i remember correctly and i could prob be wrong or explaining it wrong it was so long ago .. nakamichi's recorded with the head slightly off 90 deg to get more "width" out of the tape..playback sounds great when played on nak's but not on other decks
Old 5th September 2007

Quote:
I wouldn't use a Nakamichi for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
if i remember correctly and i could prob be wrong or explaining it wrong it was so long ago .. nakamichi's recorded with the head slightly off 90 deg to get more "width" out of the tape..playback sounds great when played on nak's but not on other decks
Yeah, Naks had some real problems with compatability with the rest of the casssette world. I had a chance (many moons ago) to buy a Nak at a good price and I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why the tapes that sounded sound nice on the Nak were so ugly on every other machine. I even called Nak service and the best I could get out of them was "Our machines are correct, every other manufacturer is doing it the wrong way"
That was a big help!
They may have changed their design with later machines, but at least when I was checking them out they were not a viable solution for studio use.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
do yourself a favor and mix down to a decent hi-fi vcr... they sound incredible. you can transfer to cassette now, and later, when you get your good a/d, you can digitize your mix from the what is probably the best sounding format south of a studer.

gregoire
del
ubk
Any model particular model of VCR you would recommend Gregoire ? ?

Thanks

Sergio
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

Jules - looks like we need a "What Piece of **** old pick-up Do You Use to Haul Gear In" forum.

dfegadFORD

Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Wall 'o' Cassette Decks!
Went to a D.A.F. gig in the eighties, they had 2 stacks of about 10 cassetteplayers on stage...one player for each song...looked very cool indeed

cheers,
Macmod
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAudioInc View Post
Jules - looks like we need a "What Piece of **** old pick-up Do You Use to Haul Gear In" forum.

dfegadFORD

Whatever dude, you don't know your trucks. My Ford's been a life saver, amazingly dependable, it's it's five years younger than I am. If you had a newer vehicle. I can see your POV, but that's the way it is with all modern American, er I mean Taiwanese, manufacturing.

Steel is the way to be.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Guru

not to imply an endorsement of your idea- cassettes are best left in the past and I agree with those who say to adapt your car player to play cds or mp3s.

but in the spirit of recommending a good deck, the JVC TD-v661 was a surprisingly good 3 head deck with HX pro, adjustable bias and a slew of nice transport features

It has something called DDRP which dynamically varies the bias according to the nature of the input signal, no decoding needed, it really works quite well.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post
Whatever dude, you don't know your trucks. My Ford's been a life saver, amazingly dependable, it's it's five years younger than I am. If you had a newer vehicle. I can see your POV, but that's the way it is with all modern American, er I mean Taiwanese, manufacturing.

Steel is the way to be.
All in good fun my friend!
I actually do have a 1997 Chevy S-10 with 200,000 miles on it. It's been great with only the usual repairs needed: brakes, tires, water pump, ignition.

I hope you get another 100K out of your Ranger.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAudioInc View Post
All in good fun my friend!
I actually do have a 1997 Chevy S-10 with 200,000 miles on it. It's been great with only the usual repairs needed: brakes, tires, water pump, ignition.

I hope you get another 100K out of your Ranger.
Cool man, I hear ya'. I had to re-type my response like three times cuz I felt I was coming back a bit strong. I also had to fight 2 hours of traffic to a major anthill called FOX studios this morning so I was a bit grumpy. I'll be glad when this week's over.

I just love my truck. That thing's like my dog.

I'm actually a Chevy guy, but for some reason Ford's always been available used so I end up driving 'em.

What I really want is an old Buick

-soupguy
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post

gregoire
del
ubk
thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search