The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU HD 192 Digital Converters
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

MOTU HD 192

I've been having problems with my current interface and I was looking to upgrade.

I currently have a Delta 1010 with the Black Lion Audio mod (both analog and clock). It sounds great, but occasionally when I record the recorded .wav's have this buzzing the kind of pulses. No idea what is causing it, but usually restarting my computer fixes it for a while. Anyway, I'm tired of getting great takes ruined so I wanted a change.

A couple things. I'm on PC, I've read that the PC drivers for MOTU aren't that great or are buggy?

I know the HD 192 would be a big step up from a normal 1010. What other interfaces does the 192 stack up to?

Are there other suggestions for in this price range? I like the 12i/12o since it will keep me from needing two cards right away. I need more than just 8i/8o (I currently have two 1010's). I will hopefully end up getting a ATB 24 and another HD192 so I can mix OTB. However whatever I get it has to be from Guitar Center (good ol' guitar center credit card and 1 year same as cash).

Pretty much with the buzzing issue I'm going to buy the 192 (or something else if it seems to be better) and then use it on my next session. If the buzzing persists then I'll go back to the 1010's and take a look at my computer, otherwise helloooo new interface.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I've never heard the MOTU but from what people say, it's not a stellar converter. They flaunt the fact that it has the same converter chip as a Digi 192 i/o, but skimp pretty badly on the analog stage. I've heard the parts are very varied from revision to revision so 2 HD192s might not even sound exactly the same... not a sign of dedication to audio quality IMO.

If I were you I'd get something like an RME Fireface 800. It's got (I believe) 8 channels i/o of very solid AD/DA conversion on top of the 4 preamps that go through conversion, so there's 12 channels of AD right there. Also, digital i/o in case you want to get even better converters in the future. Someone posted an A/B shootout between a Rosetta 800 and a Fireface and the differences were very subtle.

Hope that helps..

Bill
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply.

So on the fireface you can use all 8 of the 1/4' inputs as well as the 4 XLR's at the same time? Can you use two FF's at a time?
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Looks like it

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_800.php

Also, I've heard great things about RME's totalmix software mixer.
Old 3rd September 2007
Why don't you let Black Lion know about your issues? I would get the echo audio fire for 12 ins and outs.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
Why don't you let Black Lion know about your issues? I would get the echo audio fire for 12 ins and outs.
I'm actually mad because it was happening all day yesterday and I wanted to save a sample and post it so people could give guesses. I don't know if it's the 1010, or something in my computer. It might be my hard drive but I'm not sure if that kind of thing would happen with an old hard drive...
Old 3rd September 2007
Sounds like the clock to me. I sent you a PM
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Chris:
Once you modded your Delta 1010 with BL, it should be quite good.
The little noise that you hear is due to, and again based on my personal experience, the settings in the Delta tray.
If you have only one card, then the clock should be set to Internal, and underneath that block, there are 3 other settings:
1. Single and In-Sync
2. Independent
3. Multi Card Sync
If you only have 1 card, then option 3 is out of the question.
Option 1 is reserved for Word Clock and Spdif synching with another device as host, and the Delta as slave.
So the only option left is 2, Independent.
But try to change between 1 and 2 to see what happened.
By the way, I just got the Lucid clock on Saturday, and it seems like everything is synching very well together, since I have 3 Delta 1010 cards in my system. Before that, I had experienced drifting sometimes, especially between the bass and the kick, eventhough they are right on the same time (by zooming in the waves), but at some point, they just don't play at the same time.
I hope this will help.
dan le
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks Dan, I've never changed that option before. I'll try it out and see if it solves the issue at all.

The biggest problem with this issue is that it will go away and randomly come back, so I can't really replicate it whenever I want (or I'd make a clip right now to give an example of what's happening). Instead it will just randomly happen on a take. Then the next take will be fine. Sometimes it happens three times in a row, then I shut down and it stops for an hour. Etc. It's really odd.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Okay, I found an old clip with the problem. Here's an mp3 of it. Not this has happened with Bass, Vocals, drums. Everything. This has happened when recording just one track as well as doing 8-10 (drums), in which case every track had the noise on it.
Attached Files

problem-Track 24.mp3 (160.0 KB, 264 views)

Old 4th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Chris:
Sounds like this is exactly what happened to me way before I was aware of this. If you are the wrong setting, then yes, it happens randomly. I used to have to break it down into a few small takes.
Look at your manual again (on line), at the A appendix.
Good luck and let me know.
dan le
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Nut

I am curious to hear what the fix is too.
I am running 2-3 Delta 1010s clocked to a Lucid clock.
When I first sync'ed it all up I noticed it made things clearer, but in the background I could hear a small amount of high frequency oscillations / artifacts.
Contacting M-Audio, they said there was a known "fix" for this in as much as the clock signal was migrating into the audio, or something of that nature.
Their fix helped some but not completely.
When I sync them all to spidf (from the Deltas I/O) the noise goes away, when they sync to word clock it is back.
Clocking from the Delta is quieter, but not as transparent. I just cut out the dead air during the quiet parts to eliminate the oscillation sound.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I think the FF800 provides a better value with all of it's IO options and mic pre's. The HD192 is an excellent converter though. It sounds better when clocked with an Big Ben, whereas the FF was not effected by changing the clock. If you're already in the MOTU system (with 2408's or any other of their PCI interfaces) the 192 is a great option.
Old 4th September 2007
echo audiofire 12
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but...

I've got a Big Ben clocking a MOTU2408 (mk3) and 2 HD192's, but I can never get the termination lights on the big ben to turn 'green'....

Any hints on how those of you who've clocked the 192's went about it?

I've just connected the BNC from the BB to the 2408 and used the Motu driver settings to set clock to "external, 2408 WC In".

Should the BB be connected to each of the HD192's as well? Or instead of the 2408?

--- for what it's worth, I think the HD192's sound pretty good; certainly better than the basic line inputs on the 2408.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Apogee has stated that there is a problem with the temination lights and Motu stuff. It is terminating though, just not registering.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Why not just buy a used HD system?
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Why not just buy a used HD system?
Can you get a used HD system for $1500 and with a guitar center credit card?
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Maniac

[I've got a Big Ben clocking a MOTU2408 (mk3) and 2 HD192's, but I can never get the termination lights on the big ben to turn 'green'....]
Hi Tim:
I was at my friend's studio 1 month ago, and he was clocking the 24i/o and the 2408 to the Big Ben that he just got, with no problem.
And wow, it sounds great and punchy.
Yes you have to run 3 wires from the BB to each of the Motu, since the word clock is on the break out box, and not on the 424pci card. Also, the Motu stuffs are all self terminated, so no need for any termination.
If you don't get the light to go on green, then check your cables. That's all I can think of.
dan le
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Big sighs. The problem still has not been fixed by changing it to Independent.

Clip attached.
Attached Files

erroragain-Error.mp3 (135.1 KB, 176 views)

Old 23rd November 2007
Lives for gear

I went from HD 192 to Aurora 16 and I wished I got the better converters (Lynx) before all the fancy eq's fx etc.....
Old 23rd November 2007
Lives for gear

no driver issue wiith PC at all here - since years a 100% reliable system.

Soundwise it is quite good - but I also did a look for further improvements and decided to do some external clocking (OCX). Also I added a Lavry Blue for 2 channels.

I am now total happy overall.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search