The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The great battle of the 'warming devices'
Old 18th March 2003
The Inflator is giving me v hot but warm tracks in a mastering situation.

I have been converted, I think.

Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

Jules,

The TC web site refers to the Inflator as a tube emulated dynamics processor, while the Sony plugins site mentions nothing about tube emulation. I'm curious about this. Does the Inflator have a "clean" and a "tube emulation" mode?

Not being a fan of tube emulations I'm just curious how much coloration the Inflator adds, or if it can be considered clean and uncolored.
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by blackcatdigi

Yes, I know, it varies, and I'll likely wind up in fully variable mode dialing in each individual track, but it would be nice to have a preset or known good starting point...

Any tips or pointers as to good starting points for 2 bus usage? IOW, would you say, start with A mod w/PDS, blah blah blah, etc?

[/B]
What's wrong with the presets on the face of the unit? They don't suck at all. Look in the manual to see what those settings actually are and go from there. Personally, for 2-buss I often use a C preset in either the upper left or upper right quadrant, whichever sounds best. How's that for a techincal answer !

I also sometimes kiss it with a little bit of C4 when it comes back into Protools

-R
Old 19th March 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Any truth to the rumor that Fatso Jr. and Hedd are combining
forces by coming out with the "FAT HEDD"?

How about adding a Meek compressor ala SC2 into the pot?

Chris
Old 19th March 2003
Lives for gear

Jules sez:

"The Inflator is giving me v hot but warm tracks in a mastering situation. I have been converted, I think."

Jules, me old mate, what ARE you hearing? the Inflator in fact does NOT contain a compressor or limiter of any kind. Really. It only makes things louder by adding even-order harmonics, thus raising the total rms level of the signals.

Many people have assumed that it's somehow related to the L2 type processors, because of Sony's questionable, misleading marketing hype.

As a harmonics generator, though, it certainly has a sound that works on some things.
I think, however, that it's pretty mushy in the LF for use on the 2-mix.

This is one cool thread, btw.

HEY: What ever happened to the Cranesong Phoenix? Is it STILL vaporware? . It's still on their website, but my dealers say they can't get it. does it actually exist yet? Has anyone tried it, even as beta?
Old 19th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by RKrizman
What's wrong with the presets on the face of the unit? They don't suck at all. Look in the manual to see what those settings actually are and go from there. -R
Thanks again for your responses Rick. Again, I was just wondering how others were using this piece...

I've read and reread the manual several times, and done a lot of experimenting with the STC8. Very intriguing piece of gear. Capable of doing unique and interesting things in 2 bus applications. IME, it can very subtly 'remix' a 2 track to a degree. IE, enhance or dehance (just made that up) specific elements in the 2 track. Very cool. Of course, any dynamics processing on a 2 track can/will alter mix elements, but there is just something special about the STC8s 'reach' into a mix.
Have you found this to be the case?

BOT-- I've concluded that literally, almost 'everything' we use here at the studio, from input to output (with the exception of the actual recording medium and time based fx), is a 'warmer.' Mics, pres, console, outboard, everything...

tubes, trannys, opamps-a-plenties! Over the past decade, I've pretty much gone 'full circle'... Guess I'm just regressing.

Haven't checked out the new Sony plugs, (as I've almost totally weaned myself from any plug-in usage, whatsoever), but my vote for 'warming device' goes to (you guessed it), DH's HEDD and Spider. Love that Triode, Pentode, and Tape. However, I'm definately looking forward to the Phoenix release, as I'm guessing that it could be the one exception to my self imposed ban on plugs...

Cheers!
Old 19th March 2003
Lives for gear

slam

SLAM!
Old 19th March 2003
Gear Addict

Studer A80 ..... is my warmer....
Old 19th March 2003
-----------------
Jules sez:

"The Inflator is giving me v hot but warm tracks in a mastering situation. I have been converted, I think."

Jules, me old mate, what ARE you hearing? the Inflator in fact does NOT contain a compressor or limiter of any kind. Really. It only makes things louder by adding even-order harmonics, thus raising the total rms level of the signals.

Many people have assumed that it's somehow related to the L2 type processors, because of Sony's questionable, misleading marketing hype.
------------------

Hmmm, well L2 has a "cram it in and make it louder effect", with an over limiter... a process generally known as "Maximising"

And so does the Sony!

Speer honestly, I swear, it performs the same "make it sound loud and not overload past digital zero job".

How it does this may be TOTALY different to the L2 and have a different sound but its is a completly related 'tool' IMHO.

(dunno how your'e gonna get out a this one, me old M8!)

Have you got the latest beta / final release? I think early beta versions had no over limit function..

Old 20th December 2005
Lives for gear

triTone digitals (www.tritonedigital.com) Valve '62 is the baby to have.

Beya

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search