The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ok, who's heard what about PT HD "lite" native Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

ok, who's heard what about PT HD "lite" native

Is this real? as in, soon? If not, I guess I'll be taking the dive into...HD.

It's just the whole native thing is so promising. I went to someone's place yesterday that uses Nuendo, and he had 80 instances of Waves SSL, 14 convolution reverbs, and a BUNCH of other plugs without a hiccup. crazy. (this wasn't a real mix session he had going, just showing me the process power)
Anyway, what have you heard??
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

It just aint gonna happen

Digi wouldnt compromise their place in the HD market

If you are tempted to finally go HD - just do it ( I just did )

LE will ALWAYS have serious limitations - just to make us wanna spring for the HD rig

People keep asking the same questions, keep thinking the 003 is gonna do this or that , and it always remains the same

Native is getting more appealing as computers grow stronger but I would be SHOCKED if digi ever bridges the gap between LE and HD

my .002
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by danocaster View Post
While the cynic in my would agree, there are 2 reasons I don't agree.

1. Eventually Digi will find it cost effective to upgrade HD hardware to new processors and converters. When ever that happens, either old HD will be on a fire-sale, or they will re-package the same processors/ converters and call it something else, which will fill in the sub $7k range.

2. Digi's director of marketing posted on the DUC after dozens and dozens of heated posts from PO'd Digi users complaining that the 003 wasn't really an upgrade. This director of marketing said basically that it should be considered a "refresh" and that there was new product coming soon that he couldn't talk about that would address a lot of the issues 002 users have complained about for years.

I would not be surprised to see something either in Oct. at AES or January at NAMM... though that may be too long for some people to wait.....
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:

LE will ALWAYS have serious limitations - just to make us wanna spring for the HD rig

People keep asking the same questions, keep thinking the 003 is gonna do this or that , and it always remains the same

Native is getting more appealing as computers grow stronger but I would be SHOCKED if digi ever bridges the gap between LE and HD

my .002
Heard it 1 week ago. It seems like serious consideration is being given for whatever reason...would be great
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

is HD so expensive just because "they can?"

just seems like a mercedes benz to me. $90,000 car and they make 25+ grand in profit alone.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle S View Post
is HD so expensive just because "they can?"

just seems like a mercedes benz to me. $90,000 car and they make 25+ grand in profit alone.
Wow- where do you get you numbers from?

As for HD- it's really quite reasonably priced in some ways... I find it too much purely because I work OTB and dont use many of its powers and the converters are expensive when you need 32/48ch... the price hasnt gone up so much since the Mix systems like mine and yet the capabilities run away from that price.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I agree it won't happen. We may see a new LE unit, but nothing like HD LITE.

danocaster is totally right. Digi isn't going to splinter it's HD business, especially since I know 1000% for sure that no new "Flagship" products are in the works. I do agree though that they need to come out with a new LE interface...the 003 was a total joke.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

When are you guys going to realise that LE IS HD Lite?
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_F_H_13 View Post
I agree it won't happen. We may see a new LE unit, but nothing like HD LITE.

danocaster is totally right. Digi isn't going to splinter it's HD business, especially since I know 1000% for sure that no new "Flagship" products are in the works. I do agree though that they need to come out with a new LE interface...the 003 was a total joke.

i think we're going to see an 003 pro,

like the M Box pro

just my guess
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
My post is because of this on the DUC from Senior Marketing Director at Digi....

"...We don’t mean to limit anyone’s options, and clearly the 003 family is not intended to serve that “step-up” purpose – it’s for new users. We understand the desire, though: we are hard at work on products which will allow people to move beyond today’s LE family (whaaaat! like I said, I can’t talk about that stuff!)..."
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I think one of the best things DIGI can do for LE consumers is to allow multiple LE interfaces to work in the LE software. But I'm sure there are other things on LE wish lists.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:

my .002
oh - so you can predict the future? impressive.

Old 4th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkpantscamino View Post
oh - so you can predict the future? impressive.

hey smartass ... that's where the "my 002" buys me a little grace ( w/ MOST people at least )
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

HD Lite or something like it is coming ....

" the future is Lite ..... L I T E " a relatively high up Digi person told me recently ...

It's true ... I heard it .... as to when & in what form ??!!
Old 4th September 2007
isn't an HD1 "HD lite"? Best mac you can afford....HD core card plus 1/2 interfaces (so up to 32 i/o).

Use card for mixer plus any TDM-only plugins, run (and more importantly buy) everything else native....

yes it's a big step up pricewise from LE - but when you factor in you're buying plugins in native instead of TDM versions, it's nothing like as expensive as a full TDM system. Plus you get the benefits of upgradability, delay compensation, all the interface/clocking options etc etc.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
My post is because of this on the DUC from Senior Marketing Director at Digi....

"...We don’t mean to limit anyone’s options, and clearly the 003 family is not intended to serve that “step-up” purpose – it’s for new users. We understand the desire, though: we are hard at work on products which will allow people to move beyond today’s LE family (whaaaat! like I said, I can’t talk about that stuff!)..."
So they're already planning a 'Pro Tools-killer' killer?
Old 4th September 2007
"Move beyond today's LE family" is some serious marketing-speak.

If the Mbox 3 comes out tomorrow, and it's exactly the same as the Mbox 2 save for a case redesign, that would be 'moving beyond today's LE family.'

Although I'm not inclined to guess either way, I think he wrote that to keep us all hanging on.

Hope is a powerful thing.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

When I checked out Nuendo, it was really appealing. I'm always debating with myself about just getting HD, but I like to spend my money on outboard...that's one reason Nuendo seems interesting to me ($$).
Besides the price difference, automatic delay compensation for outboard inserts, no matter what converters you use. I use Radar24 converters, so I'm not sure if the ADC in PT HD will work with Radar converters...?? Hopefully this HD Lite will have ADC regardless of converters, but I doubt it. Hurray for mediocre proprietary hardware!
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
isn't an HD1 "HD lite"? Best mac you can afford....HD core card plus 1/2 interfaces (so up to 32 i/o).

Use card for mixer plus any TDM-only plugins, run (and more importantly buy) everything else native....

yes it's a big step up pricewise from LE - but when you factor in you're buying plugins in native instead of TDM versions, it's nothing like as expensive as a full TDM system. Plus you get the benefits of upgradability, delay compensation, all the interface/clocking options etc etc.
I tried doing this for a while- it was ok but you'd be surprised how quickly you chew through the slots- esp with high track counts.
I went and bought a used accel card (for $1700) and a used non-accel process card (for $500) and I couldn't be happier. Best $2300 I have spent in a while.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Coke
Diet Coke, but no aspartame... totally incomplete and wretchedly unsatisfying.

Just a diet coke with some fake sugar is enough to bridge the gap. HD feature set with no cards for power. They don't need to be all or nothing about it. Like the ADC: that's just a slap to the face "We locked your corvette so it can only go 55" action. If you want to drive faster in your corvette, may we interest you in a custom leather and fossilized wood interior?
Old 4th September 2007
Quote:
I tried doing this for a while- it was ok but you'd be surprised how quickly you chew through the slots- esp with high track counts.
I went and bought a used accel card (for $1700) and a used non-accel process card (for $500) and I couldn't be happier. Best $2300 I have spent in a while.
So what were you running on the cards? Just the mixer, or plugins too?

I'm currently running a Dual 1.25 G4 with 002. I really want to update that to a G5, at which point I'll hopefully have enough processing power to run the same amount of plugins I do at the moment, but without having to bounce all the inserts (being able to run 3 or more instances of TL space or IK CSR verb would be nice too, instead of having to substitute with Renaissance verb!).

Obviously, I'll always be limited by the 002 hardware. It would be nice in the future to be able to upgrade to a decent interface/set of i/o, without feeling like I have to upgrade all the plugins to TDM to justify the investment in a full HD system.

This is a total pipe dream at the mo, but it's good to get people's experiences.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
So what were you running on the cards? Just the mixer, or plugins too?

I'm currently running a Dual 1.25 G4 with 002. I really want to update that to a G5, at which point I'll hopefully have enough processing power to run the same amount of plugins I do at the moment, but without having to bounce all the inserts (being able to run 3 or more instances of TL space or IK CSR verb would be nice too, instead of having to substitute with Renaissance verb!).

Obviously, I'll always be limited by the 002 hardware. It would be nice in the future to be able to upgrade to a decent interface/set of i/o, without feeling like I have to upgrade all the plugins to TDM to justify the investment in a full HD system.

This is a total pipe dream at the mo, but it's good to get people's experiences.
I was trying to get away with running RTAS plugins as much as possible but I couldn't run any accel plugins (due to the age of my core card, I went HD when it came out) and certain plugins like Amp Farm and MDW EQ (which is wicked) are only TDM.
Throw in a couple of Access Virus Indigo instances and there goes your core card.
If you do go HD1, buget for a non-accel process card at the very least.
They are dirt cheap and vastly expand the usefulness.
A core card, accel and non accel process card is the best bang for the buck combo, imho.
I run enormous sessions- 100 tracks plus sometimes and my dual 2ghz G5 never even hiccups.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear
I just got a dual core 2.6 gig AMD machine, and LE rocks on it. Totally stable, no lagging, beautiful. I can run all the plugs I need (I mix OTB with a lot of outboard, but I still have usually have one plug on each channel, and more on subgroups), so that's not an issue.

What I really need is more I/O and ADC. Yea, being limited to 32 tracks kinda sucks, but for what I do, I can make it work by printing subgroups. The Production Toolkit thing would be nice, but what am I gonna do with more tracks, but no ADC and no more I/O, and get charged up the ass for it? Weak.

All I want is 24 I/O and ADC in addition to what LE can currently do. I don't need anything else HD provides. I, and people like me, are a perfect example of the customer base Digi is ignoring. I have considered jumping ship numerous times to other DAWs, but I choose to stay with ProTools for various reasons even though it does not meet my expectations. I know, its a sad reflection on me, but doesn't it say that Digi isn't taking the initiative to meet the growing competition head-on?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search