The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UA LA-610 Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

UA LA-610

hi gearslutz

this week I´ll recive my LA610 and I´m kinda excited about it. What do you guys think of it?. I´ve recorded a lot with the M610 and I love it. As soon as I get it I´ll try it and let you know. Till then if you are kind you can give some opinions.

thanks!
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

The LA610 is a good piece. But watch out! this is the unit that people are talking about when they say the 610 has "no headroom".

I've never been able to make my 2-610 distort, or the m610, but the LA-610 is another story.

The LA-610 is the one that clips easily and started the 610 bashing among folks who aren't patient enough to figure out how to set the controls to make it sound good. As long as you stay away from distortion, it sounds absolutely great, if used in moderation. (Don't use it for every single overdub).

I find myself using it for many vocalists, a more vintage bass sound, and room/ambient mics.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

well I did...I´ve made the M610 distort. It´s about how you play with the gain stage. But I always like it to drive it "clean". I don´t look to distort the LA610

I want to use it more for vocals and bass and I tried it with a tlm 103 on my voice (my voice is so nasty) and did a good job
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I have one, and I love it, like you said, for vocals and bass. I really like the sound I've gotten with female vocalists with an AT 4047 in the LA-610.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I really like it. My most used pre since I purchased it 8 months ago. Vocals, electric and acoustic guitar (miked), and DI bass for me.

Small amounts of gain reduction during tracking work best for me.

Distortion is a potential issue, more so that with other pres/strips I've used, but can easily be avoided with care.

Kind of confusing at first is the different gain/level controls.

FYI, on the large compressor Gain Knob, 5.5 is unity gain (at least on my unit).

The BLUE Baby Bottle, which I have owned for years and never thought was an exceptional mic, really, really shines on acoustic guitar through the LA610. A really nice pairing; now my go-to acoustic guitar path. It also sounds very good on other sources too. It was like getting a new mic!

Enjoy!
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I have had one for about a year now and its wicked..

the posts above explain it all really, the gain thing was the one to get me..(sensitive little bastard)..but other than that its top..

its a good buy

good bye
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
hi gearslutz

this week I´ll recive my LA610 and I´m kinda excited about it. What do you guys think of it?. I´ve recorded a lot with the M610 and I love it. As soon as I get it I´ll try it and let you know. Till then if you are kind you can give some opinions.

thanks!
I'm not a pro but i've been around long enough to know that this is a bad question to ask here. I can almost guarentee that for everyone who likes it, you'll have a bunch of others that say it sucks and sounds terrible, etc, etc. This board is bad like that...

that said...i recently got one and think its great...i love it for bass, and with the right mic it has sounded best during several shoot outs. it was a great purchase I don't care what anyone says. I've fallen prey and listened to to many haters already...the bottom line is if you like it...who cares what everyone else thanks.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm a fan of the LA-610 and all of it's dark, beefy murkiness.
I take the 610 for what it is and love it.
However, I don't think people are ever really looking for what the 610 does.
It's one of those things you appreciate and grow to love. Or not.
More or less, IMO, people are looking for a more Modern (meaning RADIO) type of sound.
I was A/Bing the LA-610 and a Solo110 with a band, who likes for things to sound "older" and the long for the "Vintage Vibe" cheesy,.
Every time I popped in the 110 instead of the 610 they'd say..... "That's perfect!" "Go with that!" It seemed like inside, strangely enough, their hearts wanted to use the tube 610 but their ears said 110. Every time in fact. heh

Take that for what it is.

late
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdrecordings View Post
I'm a fan of the LA-610 and all of it's dark, beefy murkiness.
I take the 610 for what it is and love it.
However, I don't think people are ever really looking for what the 610 does.
It's one of those things you appreciate and grow to love. Or not.
More or less, IMO, people are looking for a more Modern (meaning RADIO) type of sound.
I was A/Bing the LA-610 and a Solo110 with a band, who likes for things to sound "older" and the long for the "Vintage Vibe" cheesy,.
Every time I popped in the 110 instead of the 610 they'd say..... "That's perfect!" "Go with that!" It seemed like inside, strangely enough, their hearts wanted to use the tube 610 but their ears said 110. Every time in fact. heh

Take that for what it is.

late
I already have a pre that sounds modern (Focusrite Red 8), but I wanted a tube pre with character and vibe. I´m not saying the Red 8 has no vibe, all the contrary, I think it´s a great pre and sounds fantastic. But apart of the pre, I wanted a la-2a type of compressor cuz I like it a lot on vocals (I know it´s not a la-2a but.....)
and in this price range I think it´s the only tube pre that sounds good to me
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

ok it arrived today. First impression is good. It´s build good and has a good feeling. UA could have put a better light to the VU-meter.
I´ve recorded some backing voices with only the pre switched on the 2k impendance, bypassing the comp. The sound was simply great. I liked it, the producer liked it and the backing singers liked it.
I belive it was a good choice.

Now I want to try it at mixdown to see what can it do
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

i've found this preamp to give my recordings a bit of attitude. with a C414 the sound wasn't what i was looking for but it did work - very very full recording and needs a lot of EQ . i have to push the output really hard that the VU is peaking at the edge just to get a good level going into Logic...what's with that?

DI on guitar is incredible

i don't see this as a very versatile preamp but it's not a one trick pony either. i can imagine it will be amazing on snare, a not so boomy acoustic guitar, some vox
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I recently sold mine. Not because its bad in any way - mostly because I dont see it as "excellent" in any way. It does have its own sonic "flavour", and you can get a good sound out of it, but for me - I chose to let it go and use other preamps, etc instead.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by perx View Post
I recently sold mine. Not because its bad in any way - mostly because I dont see it as "excellent" in any way. It does have its own sonic "flavour", and you can get a good sound out of it, but for me - I chose to let it go and use other preamps, etc instead.
I have a LA610 and really love the pre. What other pres do you have?

Glenn
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

I´ve had my LA610 for over a year now and I like it. The gain knob seems to be the hard part for some users. I mostly go for -10 when recording vocals for a more clean sound, and turn the level knob up a lot. I find that more gain gives more "bite" (and sibilance on vox) in the LA610.
Besides vox and bass I use it on snare and electric guitar (both miked cabs and direct line).
Also tried it with an AEA R84 on acoustic guitar and really liked the "upfront" sound.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elof View Post
I
Besides vox and bass I use it on snare and electric guitar (both miked cabs and direct line).
Also tried it with an AEA R84 on acoustic guitar and really liked the "upfront" sound.
wow I use it on the kick instead of the snare. For the snare I have been using the Great River, but I should give it a try and see.

Glenn
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

I can´t see the gain stage as a problem. If you know how to set it, it sounds great. I love it on vocals and the 2 shelf eq are great to give sparkle or body to voice or bass.

another think that I like is that it stays good in the mix and it has an organic sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search