The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need info about Soundworkshop Series 30 mixer
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Need info about Soundworkshop Series 30 mixer

Hello!

I came across this Soundworkshop Series30 26-channel mixer and apparently it is for sale but no-one seemed to know what it's worth and what it is anyway (and does it even work...)

I tried to do some googling but didn't found much, except that some GS guys use Soundworkshop modules, so I guess there is something in it

I was wondering could the channel modules be used as stand-alone channel strips?

All info appreciated!

Thanks,
-tomi
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I had one , a 28 input back in '84-85, paid $10k back then. Noisey little sucker, but we ran a new ground bus the length of the console and individualy grounded all the modules, helped a bunch. It ain't a Neve, but if it's working it will get you by. As far as value is concerned, maybe $1200-1500 if it's all there and working somewhat. Gonna be a pig to fix/get working good, all ribbon cables inside, I think the patchbay used molexs, pots, switches and caps will need replacing, remember it's 25+ years since they made it and they did it as cheaply as possible. Good luck!
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Yikes!

Thanks for the info

strangely I did not get any reasonable results when I was searching GS for info about Soundworkshop stuff and now there is good links in the "Similar Threads" section and search gives whole lot of different results. maybe GS had a glitch when I was searching

-Tomi
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Guru

sound workshops are badass, lots of brown-toned rock and roll attitude and analog mojo. it is true, they ARE noisy especially now that they're old. but they are easy to mod and upgrade, they use all standard components, switches, etc. any good tech can service them and bring them up to better-than-spec.

i use a 1280b here, fellow slut beats workin' has a tweaked series 30 in his room and it kicks ass. they are, imo, the closest you'll get to api without actually getting an api.

if you can get a working series 30 for $1500 then jump on it.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Another vote for a Soundworkshop. There is a studio up here in Rhode Island that has a 34 series that was modded by Dan Zellman in NYC. I have a friend that did his record at the studio. I had a chance to hear that board during tracking and mixdown and it sounded great..

Ubik hit the nail on the head. Very close to an API..
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Great console for the money.

Many, many years ago I had a series 30 and then a 34...
I purchased both consoles from the factory new.
Both were great consoles for the money...
I really liked them, but we did many updates to them to get them to be the best they could.
I remember doing many great recordings with them.
That being said, the internal bays use molex connectors, and will FAIL...
They really need to be taken care of, replaced, cleaned or whatever....
Otherwise you will always be dealing with intermittant signals.
Old 4th September 2007
I've got a series 30. It's 28 fader. We've pretty much completely recapped ours and upgraded the PSU to a larger more stable one from a large 56 series. I've been lucky with any grounding issues, mine is quiet (I run it into an Equitech 2RQ also). I use it for mixing only in conjunction with a DAW and a nice selection of hi end outboard, and everybody that's mixed on it has been very happy. If there are any limitations to the sound, it's not the console, it's usually just the arrangement, or mainly the performance. Get a great band on it, and it's excellent. The guy on the Yahoo forum to talk to goes by James Page (His real name is Rich the 'studio doctor'), he's worked on mine for the last 5 years and does a great job, and is fair enough with his price where you could probably fly him in.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search