The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rupert Neve 5043 users - what about the buss and LINK?? <---- Studio Headphones
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Rupert Neve 5043 users - what about the buss and LINK?? <----

How does the buss in/out work? Can I patch buss out from my 5012 with regular trs cables into the buss in on the 5043 and simply press buss in and then use them two together as my vocal chain?

What about the LINK buttons on each channel - I think the manual is not that clear on how you should use them in tandem and separately.. Can anyone explain that part?

Right now I have both engaged when I dont use the buss in´s, and I when I do changes I do them on both channels (its on the stereo buss).

Would be nice to know if theres any way to link them both together (so that I dont have to change both channels when working on stereo program material) - aswell as what happens when you only press LINK on channel A, or LINK on channel B?

Rupert Neve support has got to be the slowest ever - wrote to them 2 weeks ago and still no answer..

Thanks guys!!
Old 10th November 2008
Lives for gear

I have the same setup and I´m also wondering about the link.

I have a problem using the 5043 on my stereobus - even though I have the exact same settings on both compressor channels and the link buttons are engaged - I get a slight movement in the stereo image. The right channel is a few db louder than the left one resulting in an incorrect stereo image.

I shouldn´t have to correct that - it should be precise using the same settings on both channels.

Any portico 5043 users wanna give me a hint?

Best,
Carl-Johan
Old 10th November 2008
Lives for gear

when link button is pressed on both channels it ties the VCA together, this is the stereo link compression mode that every other dual channel compressors have but the design has a certain characteristic: the highest amplitude of the different channels control the vca action of the compressor. any change in stereo imaging can be a result of
1) phase shift action between left and right compared to its sum (L+R).
2) A miscalibrated VCA buffer amp that sends the wrong amplitude to the slaved unit.

to test the compressor, send the exact same signal to both channels, both a and b channel link pushed in, and if there is any change in amplitude between the two, the unit must be recalibrated.

if only channel A link button is pushed, in the unit goes into what i called keyed compressor/ducker mode in wich channel A is compress but attenuates Channel B so the audio in channel A can be heard over the audio in channel B. (i.e. Announcement vocal on channel A is heard over the program music that is coming in on channel B)

buss-in switch just switches the which source the compressor uses, (i.e. buss or insert patch)
Old 10th November 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks for the answer

According to the manual pushing the link button will make one channel control the gain of both channels (the one with most gain controls the other).

I just can´t get this to work. I have to gain on both channels even with link pushed in.

Tricky...
Old 10th November 2008
Lives for gear

I just tested the latency on my portico 5043 in logic with a latency detector, and guess what?

Latency:

Left channel -1021 samples
Right channel -2394 samples

Is there something about my logic setup or is this caused by the portico??
Old 11th November 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenerlov View Post
I just tested the latency on my portico 5043 in logic with a latency detector, and guess what?

Latency:

Left channel -1021 samples
Right channel -2394 samples

Is there something about my logic setup or is this caused by the portico??

Unless there is over 4000 miles more wiring inside the right channel of your unit than the left, it's probably a computer thing.
Old 11th November 2008
Lives for gear

Probably is
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search