The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitors: ATC vs Gen 1031A vs NS10 :-) Studio Monitors
Old 3rd September 2007

Monitors: ATC vs Gen 1031A vs NS10 :-)

OK I need a big mortgage, a big house and a pair of ATC SCM300ASL ($45,750.00 if you please).

What an absolute pleasure to be tracking with these on the weekend!

They sound so smooth, natural, and full-bodied, and were just inspirational for us tracking in the control room.

I've hated the sound other large mains I've heard (huge Genelecs and Dynaudios) --- generally harsh/distorted with over-blown bass, but these are the mutt's nuts! My hunch: the others I've heard just don't have the right amps driving them.

The ATCs don't sound overblown/exaggerated or "loud for the sake of being loud". It took some major re-adjusting when we switched back to the NS10 or 1031a

Back to the real world today
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

Well, the good news is both 1031s and NS10s have a fairly high re-sell value...

If you're used to the 1031 sound but want less distortion/less harsh highs and a super detailed bass end, check out their new 8250s. They're very similar to the 8050s but with dsp eq correction to fix any small low end bumps in your room. You're still in Genelec world but now you can trust what you're mixing without having to check the NS10s first. There are obviously other great brands but, at a just affordable price, these might lift you out of your sonic depression (I worked with 1031s and NS10s for over 10 yrs before changing).
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Guru

get the scm20's, they embody all the qualities you describe; if you like the atc sound they're a lovely mix tool , insane phase coherence, zero learning curve, translate like a dream.

they're a little light on the bottom, but that's why god invented subs.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 4th September 2007
theother
ATCs are really cool!

I once heard big custom ATCs (@ Matrix Studio) and was blown away too!

Myself I have Dynaudios for the big ones and ATC SCM20 as nearfields. (together with the obligatory NS10s and Auratones)

Had Dynaudio M3A for many years and will probably upgrade to custom M4s.

Dynaudios can sound good but you need the right amps, xover, setup and room.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search