The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
John Mayer and Preamps
Old 16th April 2004
Here for the gear

John Mayer and Preamps

Anyone know what preamps and mics he has used on some of his biggest hits from the studio? I'm working with a few new groups who are really looking for that creamy warm vocal sound that is so prevalent in John's music. Thanks everybody.

- Andy
Old 16th April 2004
Here for the gear

Thanks for the info, Sean.

Unfortunately I don't have a ton of mic choices at my disposal, just a U87 and the C414 TLII, along with an Avalon 737 and a GR MP-2NV. As far as compressors, I've got a nice selection of the Waves and Bomb Factory compressors. Now don't get me wrong, I know they don't exactly sound like the classics, but in reality they do a fine job as a whole new unit. That's just my opinion, though.

And production techniques for the vocals you might suggest? Thanks!
Old 16th April 2004
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ziegenh5
Forgot to mention, his last record was tracked straight to Pro tools HD.
Sean
Actually, if my source is correct, it was to PTHD via RADAR.
Old 16th April 2004
Lives for gear

Re: John Mayer and Preamps

Quote:
Originally posted by TestAccount
Anyone know what preamps and mics he has used on some of his biggest hits from the studio? I'm working with a few new groups who are really looking for that creamy warm vocal sound that is so prevalent in John's music. Thanks everybody.

- Andy
The biggest factor of all is Mayer's voice... he's got a very unique tone and inflection, probably would sound very similar through any number of quality mics or preamps. I'm sure they tried out a few and went with that seemed best, but I wouldn't base his vocal tone on any mic or preamp specifically.
Old 16th April 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by ziegenh5
On 'Room for Sqaures' he recorded to Radar, using 1081's, 1073's and API's on guitars I believe. That album sounds really nice. On his new album, which sounds like ****, he sang through a modified U47 through some state of the art boutique preamp through an LA3A. For that type of vocal sound, I think a nice vintage Neumann(U67, U47, etc....), through a good transformer balanced pre(Neve, API, Trident, etc......), and a Urei compressor(LA2A, LA3a, 1176) will get you there. Best of luck,
Sean
Are you sure it wasn't Avatar's 8068? The word from the avatar staff is the tracks didnt leave avatar sounding bad.
Old 16th April 2004
i think mastering needs to be taken into account here too.
Old 16th April 2004
Gear Addict

I cant imagine trying to mix in Puigs room with all that gear stacked around.. looks like reflection city...
Old 16th April 2004
Gear Addict

I cant imagine trying to mix in Puigs room with all that gear stacked around.. looks like reflection city...
Old 16th April 2004
Lives for gear

I think Mayer recorded straight to John Alasia's PT rig through 888s. I know for a fact he used an SM-7 for the vocal on his first record. Think through a 1073. I know the overheads were compressed to tape with a Focusrite Red 3, and the room mic was squashed with an LA-3. JJP didn't mix all the tunes on that record, John did some too with his partner.
Steve
www.blacklinerock.com
www.bangrecording.com
Old 17th April 2004
Lives for gear

In the interview with John Alagia in EQ Magazine, he said they used Radar's converters to ProTools. Whoever the drummer was on the first record was REALLY good.
Micah
Old 17th April 2004
Lives for gear

That's Nir Z drumming and he is a *bad ass*.
Old 17th April 2004
Gear Addict

I'd have to agree with jpaudio that most of the tone is in his voice and not the gear. You can hear all the air he is pushing through his skull. Sounds a lot like Michael Franks to me.
Old 17th April 2004
Gear Nut

Definitely Nir Z on "Room For Squares".
Old 17th April 2004
(Blackcatdigi quote deleted by moderator - jules at original posters request)

Nir Z is the credited drummer on Room For Squares. I've worked with Doug Derryberry who is also on Room For Squares. He said John is a real nice guy
and a heavy Hendrix freak.
Old 17th April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Musiclab
Nir Z is the credited drummer on Room For Squares. I've worked with Doug Derryberry who is also on Room For Squares. He said John is a real nice guy
and a heavy Hendrix freak.

I've never met John, so I can't comment... Maybe I misunderstood, or perhaps my friend was confused.

In fact, I feel a little 'funny' about relaying this stuff as it's really none of my biz.

So, I'm gonna post this reply, then delete my original post.

Musiclab, I'd appreciate if you remove my remarks, as well.

TIA. And now I'll STFU...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search