The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can I use a 2ch d/a with PTLE adat outs?
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Can I use a 2ch d/a with PTLE adat outs?

I have PTLE and am monitoring with a Benchmark dac1 via spidf.
I need to get 2 more channels or d/a so I can use my fatso for the mix buss.
Will I be forced to get an 8ch d/a to use the adat out, or is there a way to use the adat out into a 2ch d/a?
The dac1 would not work with the adat-
Old 3rd September 2007
krs
Lives for gear

I don't recall ever seeing a 2 channel DA with ADAT in...
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I asked a similar question here recently.

Someone suggested looking into the RME ADI-8 DD

RME Intelligent Audio Solutions - ADI-8 DD

It's basically a well featured digital routing / format converter. It appears it would allow you to hook up one or more digital stereo sources and output them as ADAT optical.

I also just noticed that this unit has apparently been discontinued. WTF? I wonder if anyone else makes such a unit? Anyone???

It sure would be nice to have more converter options for PTLE / Digi-00X units. If we had a unit that would take four SPDIF stereo outputs and converter them into one 8-channel ADAT output, that would be great, and would allow the use of just about any converters available. You could hook up four HEDDs, or Lavrys, or Benchmarks, etc... otherwise, right now, other than using the Digi's one stereo SPDIF, you're forced to use an 8-channel AD/DA box that uses ADAT optical... this limits your choices.

So, again... who else out there makes a unit similar to the discontinued RME ADI-8 DD????
Old 3rd September 2007
if you can afford 4 lavry/benchmark etcs, surely you're not going to be relying on PTLE and a 002/3?!

if you're spending that sort of money on converters, the user is surely going to have at least an HD1...problem solved....
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666666 View Post
So, again... who else out there makes a unit similar to the discontinued RME ADI-8 DD????
Uh, RME does. The updated replacement is the ADI-192 DD.

Best,
Jeff
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
if you can afford 4 lavry/benchmark etcs, surely you're not going to be relying on PTLE and a 002/3?!

if you're spending that sort of money on converters, the user is surely going to have at least an HD1...problem solved....
Thats a ridiculous statement.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I remember once hooking up a Tango 24 to the optical output of some device (can't remember if it was a DAT or something that had the ADAT output set to SPDIF, anyhow it was an accident) and the two channels showed up as CH. 1 & 2 (or it might have been 7 & 8) on the Tango 24. There may be some compatibilty between the 2 ch. & 8 ch. optical protocols. Give it a try with your DAC1 sending an output on ADAT ch. 1 & 2 (then try other odd/even pairs) of your PTLE and see if all works fine, if so it might work the other way also.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

I tried the benchmark with adat 1,2 - 3,4 - 5,6 - 7,8 and none of the would send signal.
Any other ideas-

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search