The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
? for Lynx Aurora users Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

? for Lynx Aurora users

What kind of soundcards are you using? I'm looking to get 2 Aurora 16's and wanted to know what kind of cards you guys are using with your Auroras. I'm going to stay away from the Lynx card becuase the workarounds needed for monitoring will drive me to drink. I'm leaning towards two RME HDSP 32's. Any thoughts?

Thanks
CT
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart View Post
What kind of soundcards are you using? I'm looking to get 2 Aurora 16's and wanted to know what kind of cards you guys are using with your Auroras. I'm going to stay away from the Lynx card becuase the workarounds needed for monitoring will drive me to drink. I'm leaning towards two RME HDSP 32's. Any thoughts?

Thanks
CT

Well I have 2 Lynx AES 16's with my Aurora's. Works great for me but I never use the Lynx mixer. I either am at a studio with a console or I set the buffer at 64 samples and monitor through the software.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I have one Aurora 8 and one Aurora 16 both running into two Lynx AES16 cards.

As far as monitoring is concerned why not just use software monitoring through your DAW. With an Intel Quad Core chip you could monitor at 64 sample latencies which is more than enough to get the job done.

I use Dual Dual Core Opteron Rig and I can track wile using plugs at 64 sample latencies....... so can you

Best of luck in your search
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I have used both. I think both are great! You could probably get either one and be happy.

Here are the pro's/con's/comparisons.

Lynx:

Software mixer is still limited (though better), and just does not make sense (at least to me). There are still direct monitoring limitations.

The card is self contained, so it only takes up one PCI slot. Good.

The connections are "custom", so you have to get custom cables. Can be expensive. Redco is your friend.

Low latency performance is excellent!

RME:

Totalmix software mixer is fantastic! It will do just about anything, and once you get your head around it it's a breeze to use. Works PERFECTLY with ASIO ADM as well.

It's also a single card, but requires 2nd location PCI space in the case for the breakout. This can fill up the available space quick.

Uses standard Tascam DB-25 AES connections.. good. Off the shelf cables will work.

Latency is very low... about equal to the lynx with the latest WDM drivers. I will say the Lynx does seem to do a little better at the very lowest setting (32buffers). But it's a VERY minor difference.

The RME can be used with the RME HDSP MADI cards with a unified driver to give unbelievable amounts of i/o.

So.... both are great. Both have great support in the US. It's a tough call. Hope this helps...
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the help guys, your comments offer some really good insight.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear
use mine with the LT-HD card and monitor through PT. probably not what you want to hear but no problems here.
Old 3rd September 2007
Wow I thought the lynx card was updated so you wouldn't be limited.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

If I can use direct monitoring with low latency and route custom buses to the different musicians during tracking, I'm cool with the Lynx. If I cant get at least 6 or so output busses for that purpose, I'm going to have to go elsewhere.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
Wow I thought the lynx card was updated so you wouldn't be limited.
It's a lot better but due to the hardware design, they had to scale the number of sources depending on sample rate used (anywhere from 22 down to 4)

From Lynx Support Forum: NEW Windows Drivers Posted Today :

4. Supports additional Play Mixers for AES16 and AES16-SRC for firmware build 24 or higher. Now there are 9 monitor sources pr output at sample rates up to 96kHz. At 176.4/192kHz, there are still four sources per output. With ASIO Direct Monitoring, up to 22 sources per output are available at sample rates up to 48kHz (note - only the first 9 will be revealed in the Lynx Outputs Mixer).
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart View Post
If I can use direct monitoring with low latency and route custom buses to the different musicians during tracking, I'm cool with the Lynx. If I cant get at least 6 or so output busses for that purpose, I'm going to have to go elsewhere.

Do yourself a favour, get one of these;
Hear Technologies - Hear Back Personal Monitor Mixer System

just use software monitoring at 128 to 64 samples. If you have decent computer you will be able to do it with plugs and it sounds great.

Good luck

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search