The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Temple Of The Dog
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Temple Of The Dog

I love this album.

Anyone know something about making of this brilliant album, both musically and sonically. All I've read that it was recorded weekends at London Bridge Studios Nov/Dec 1990. Who engineered or mixed it?
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Head

Here's some info:

http://wc08.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?...9fuxq85ldde~T2

I've done a few projects up at London Bridge. Great room, beautiful vintage Neve and friendly owners. Highly recommended if you're looking for a studio in Seattle.

http://www.londonbridgestudio.com/

Josh
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Guru

it makes me hungry I'm straving for more music like that !
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Times of Trouble Is arguablly the best song ever written.
It could also be the best vocal performance ever

Pushin' foward back is the second.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Just read London Bridge's history and so many best albums ever were made there. I'm right now listening to Badmotorfinger and I could start a new thread about how much i love this album and would die to know everything about making it...

oh boy how much I miss the early 90's.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

This brings to mind another Seattle supergroup project of that time: Mad Season. I love that album.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwinston123 View Post
This brings to mind another Seattle supergroup project of that time: Mad Season. I love that album.
I always like the snare sound on that record
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

There were some killer albums put out in the early 90's. Alic in Chains Facelift, Soundgarden Badmotorfinger, Nirvana Nevermind, RHCP BSSM, Jane's Addiction Ritual, I could keep going but you get the picture. Reminds me of my High School days. What happened to the music of today?
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post

those are definitely some of my favorite drum sounds on that record. fat, honest, and dry in a 1981 way.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwayne View Post
.....Reminds me of my High School days. What happened to the music of today?
I said the same thing about the music of the early 90s in the early 90s. I'm obviously older than you...

Don't get me wrong I love the Cornell's of the world but when that music hit the scene I was saying "what the heck happened to the music of the.....er.....well....earlier than that...
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodium glow View Post
I said the same thing about the music of the early 90s in the early 90s. I'm obviously older than you...

Don't get me wrong I love the Cornell's of the world but when that music hit the scene I was saying "what the heck happened to the music of the.....er.....well....earlier than that...
If I grew up in the late sixties early seventies, then I really think I would of said the same thing about the decades after.

I'm a huge Hendrix, Zep, Allman Brothers fan. That stuff is my favorite , but I can get in to the Grunge thing. It seemed a bit similar to me.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwinston123 View Post
wow, i knew that i had stopped listening to radio but i have never heard of Mad Season, not one song. Im way behind guys, only mad season i know is Matchbox 20 CD with the song "Bent" I think that is my fav rock song ever, a real piece of art, i think they were from Fla...
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
Kepplinger snare
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Temple of the Dog is such a great album!
Yeah, "times of trouble"... BRILLIANT.

But I'm sorry, even though badmotorfinger has some great songs on it, IMO it is literally one of the worst sounding albums ever. Like unforgivably bad.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flail19 View Post
Kepplinger snare
He was making those things even back then?
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertmo2 View Post
Temple of the Dog is such a great album!
Yeah, "times of trouble"... BRILLIANT.

But I'm sorry, even though badmotorfinger has some great songs on it, IMO it is literally one of the worst sounding albums ever. Like unforgivably bad.
I do not even listen that much to the tones of badmotorfinger , reason why ? the damn songs out weigh it all, i remember i was at work when i first heard outshinned come over the radio, before the song could end i clocked out and went and bought the CD and returned to work and played it loud as hell, i was running a printing press at the time.
Jesus Christ Pose.....KILLER as well. VERY sad day to hear that they broke up.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
i clocked out and went and bought the CD and returned to work and played it loud as hell
That's the key to that record IMHO. It sounds kind of thin when you play it quietly, especially compared to new releases (loudness wars anyone?). But when you crank it up -- WHAM. Super punchy, snares crack, it all comes together.

Seriously, take another listen and turn it up...

Josh
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

You guys are right, I totally agree the songs "outshine" the mixes.... he he.
Especially the second half of the album, starting with "searching with my good eye closed". Damn, what a great song! But in general, the album is almost unlistenable to me. So... I don't hear the songs too often.
And I must violently disagree about the snare sound. Pretty much the worst ever.

But I will always agree in the end that songs trump sonics. It's just that I HATE the sound of this album, loud or quiet.

But anyway, Temple of the Dog!!!
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

wow, soundgarden ...so great. I remember the days when I could look forward to another album coming out and I would just count the days...I'm sad now just thinking about it
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro Swift View Post
That's the key to that record IMHO. It sounds kind of thin when you play it quietly, especially compared to new releases (loudness wars anyone?). But when you crank it up -- WHAM. Super punchy, snares crack, it all comes together.

Seriously, take another listen and turn it up...

Josh
lol , my loudness was some cheap ass small jam box trying to hear over a printing press.
anyways when i listen to the CD all i hear is some good ole raw analog mix, maybe that is what they wanted, anyways i think we will all agree that badmotorfinger still sounds better than sound god awful band who has perfect drum/guitar/bass tones.

I never realised that BMF sounded that bad until you guys brought it up, omg will i ever be able to listen at it in the same way ?
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flail19 View Post
Kepplinger snare

on mad season? doesn't sound like one, sounds more like a black beauty to me. but to be fair i lost my copy of the record a few years back and haven't heard it since.

gotta fix that.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Temple of the Dog.....Good, Mad Season......Good, and a question in relation to these two bands.

Was the Mother Love Bone album 'Apple' which, was later repackaged with the 'Shine' EP (I think) and released as 'Mother Love Bone' recored at London Bridge?
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wineredno1 View Post
Temple of the Dog.....Good, Mad Season......Good, and a question in relation to these two bands.

Was the Mother Love Bone album 'Apple' which, was later repackaged with the 'Shine' EP (I think) and released as 'Mother Love Bone' recored at London Bridge?
It know was recorded in San Francisco ...but I can't remember where.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwayne View Post
There were some killer albums put out in the early 90's. Alic in Chains Facelift, Soundgarden Badmotorfinger, Nirvana Nevermind, RHCP BSSM, Jane's Addiction Ritual, I could keep going but you get the picture. Reminds me of my High School days. What happened to the music of today?
All those recods you mentioned should have made this list. RIAA There are still some good ones in it. Had no idea Led Zeppelin IV was the 4th best selling record of all time. Only Eagles Greatest Hit, Micheal Jackson Thriller, Pink Floyd The Wall Beats it. Although it was the last place, was surprised to find Van Halen 1.
www. bluethumbproductions.com
Old 3rd September 2007
Here for the gear

Several years ago I had the chance to work with Rick Parashar and I asked about the Temple of the Dog record.

He really didn't have too much to say, it was just pretty straightforward and all the room sound you hear is just the sound of that room at London Bridge. The console was either an 8038 or 8048, I can't remember, but it had 1081 modules in it. I believe he said they used a Studer A800 tape machine.

If I can remember anything else, I'll add it.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertmo2 View Post
And I must violently disagree about the snare sound. Pretty much the worst ever.
Yes!!! I was listening to Badmotorfinger just the other day, and said to myself, "man - I need to start a thread at Gearslutz about this. This must be the worst snare sound ever." And then I read your comment and laughed out loud.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
I never realised that BMF sounded that bad until you guys brought it up, omg will i ever be able to listen at it in the same way ?
it sounds like BadMotorFinger

It took me some time to really get into that album because of the sonics. But i don't care anymore. It's a brilliant album.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
on mad season? doesn't sound like one, sounds more like a black beauty to me.
Sorry my post was in reference to Matt and his playing a Kepplinger snare with Temple. I failed to see the Mad Season reference.

Yes, Greg was making Kepplinger snares way before his deal with Ayotte. If you research it, Matt was using Greg's snares a lot on recordings circa the Bad Motorfinger and Temple records era. What I can't be sure of is which songs etc..

I happen to love these snares. Have even owned one. But, they are extremely loud and "ringy" for the music I am doing now so I sold it many moons ago...bad move I know.

BTW, I am not getting on the BMF recording sounds bad bandwagon. It's full on guitar crunch, bass heavy rock. I think it sounds good to me. Yeah it's not "Dark Side Of The Moon, and some dynamics are suppressed a bit but still the recording captures the mood and the musical quality of the band.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro Swift View Post

I've done a few projects up at London Bridge. Great room, beautiful vintage Neve and friendly owners. Highly recommended if you're looking for a studio in Seattle.

Londonbridge studios
Geoff Ott @ London Bridge mixed my last record. Very good engineer.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
Geoff Ott @ London Bridge mixed my last record. Very good engineer.
Right on. Geoff and Jon are both super nice and super talented. What was the name of the project?

Josh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search