The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommendations for Speaker/Monitor Selector Unit??? Monitor Controllers
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear
Recommendations for Speaker/Monitor Selector Unit???

Any recommendations for speaker/monitor selector units (that don't degrade the sound in anyway)? I would like to be able to switch back and forth between 2 sets of monitors as well as computer speakers and PA system for reference while mixing.
Old 2nd September 2007
dbu
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel View Post
Any recommendations for speaker/monitor selector units (that don't degrade the sound in anyway)? I would like to be able to switch back and forth between 2 sets of monitors as well as computer speakers and PA system for reference while mixing.
PreSonus Central Station
Crane Song Avocett
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbu View Post
PreSonus Central Station
Crane Song Avocett

Cool thanks. But I think I am going to need 6 outs.
Old 2nd September 2007
I use the central station. 6 pairs out? SPL might have something but I dunno about 6
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear
Actually I just found this.

Coleman Audio MS6R Close-Up | Sweetwater.com

I hope its not going to affect the signal between my apogee and my speakers at all in a negative way
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

you are using 6 speakers?
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by numrologst View Post
you are using 6 speakers?
Well I want to use 2 mains, 2 ns-10's, 2 computer speakers, and 2 JBLs thorugh a PA. Then I can use additional outs to hardware effects if I want to record stuff back into the computer. I already have an apogee mini dac and a speaker switch like the coleman audio one in my previous post will be alot cheaper then getting a rosetta.
Old 3rd September 2007
jhg
Lives for gear

One problem: you can only select one output on the Coleman box, to send to external gear and monitor won't be possible , plus to send to external device(s), then monitor the mix from the daw with the devices in the chain will require another 2 channels of DA conversion. You could use the monitor chain DA with the Coleman MS6 for monitor switching, and the current Coleman box for switching between outboard, or backwards to send to a bunch of things.

Hopes this makes some sense.

Regards,

jhg
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhg View Post
One problem: you can only select one output on the Coleman box, to send to external gear and monitor won't be possible , plus to send to external device(s), then monitor the mix from the daw with the devices in the chain will require another 2 channels of DA conversion. You could use the monitor chain DA with the Coleman MS6 for monitor switching, and the current Coleman box for switching between outboard, or backwards to send to a bunch of things.

Hopes this makes some sense.

Regards,

jhg
I'm sorry I dont know what you mean by "the current coleman box." Are there any good speaker selector units that have at least 6-8 outs that I can have multiple simultaneous outputs engaged?
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

An 8 bus mixer.....
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurubuzz View Post
An 8 bus mixer.....
8 bus mixer is too expensive. I don't want to spend more than $500. Besides I want it to be totally passive and don't want it to affect the sound in anyway.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear
Ok well I figured out that what I want to do is not going to be possible as I will have a feedback loop with the effects unit if I want to monitor. Only solution is Apogee Rosetta. So I guess I will have to mix everything ITB for now until I can afford the Rosetta + hardware effects (Lexicon pcm70, and distressor will be my first purchases). So for now are there any good 4 way speaker selectors (for my main monitors, NS-10's, Computer speakers, JBL PA system)?
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm looking for a similar monitor selector for doing just two sets of speakers so if anyone has information, it is much appreciated!
Old 6th February 2008
Lives for gear

I can't help the guy looking for six outputs but for anyone seeking six inputs and two outputs, I posted this in a similar thread recently:

I've been using the ahead-of-its-time and rather over-looked LA Audio SPX-20 for many years - in fact I wrote my own review of it here.

It's more designed as a stereo source selector rather than a sophisticated monitor controller, and lacks things like talkback & metering etc, but it functions very well as a monitor controller and does what it says on the tin, is very well-built, doesn't cost the earth and isn't at all detrimental to the sound at least to my ears.

By the way, the tin says:

- 6 balanced stereo inputs with individually adjustable trims (Input 1 is duplicated on XLRs at the rear)
- 2 discrete balanced stereo outputs with individually adjustable levels
- Stereo Rec In/Out on unbalanced phonos
- Stereo Headphone out with discretely adjustable volume
- Balance Control
- Mono switch
- 20dB Dim switch
- Mains powered (no wallwart nonsense)
- Silent switching and relayed power-up delay (can eliminate power-on thumps)
- Latching input selection switches enables more than one to be combined, so you can monitor multiple sources simultaneously

It's an incredibly useful and flexible, multi-purpose "Swiss Army knife" unit to have in the studio.

20 seconds of Google shows it seems to be priced new around $600 or €600.
Old 6th February 2008
Lives for gear

I think the Coleman boxes are nice. There's nothing wrong with the Niles boxes either as they're pretty well known in Hi-fi circles. I've been using one for years. Just a simple box that switches between 2-3 sets of monitors.

m

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search