The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pls Help...VOX AX30CC2 keeps blowing fuse!
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Pls Help...VOX AX30CC2 keeps blowing fuse!

All of the sudden, as of yesterday, and for no apparent my VOX [email protected] amp is blowing fuses.

It is NOT the fuse on the back, under the spring loaded fuses cover (the one you open with a flat-head screwdriver. It is the one attached directly underneath the plug outlet. I bought a pack of replacements (250v, 4am - slow blow). Every time I put in a new fuse and turn the amp on, it blows within a minute.

Could anyone give me any troubleshooting tips or suggestions as to why this may be happening. Or, feel free to ask for any pertinent info that I have not provided.

PS - This is a studio only amp. It has never been abused in any way. It is in absolute pristine condition (otherwise). It has never (before now) been plugged into any other outlet than the the double-protected outlet that it shares with a few other pirces of equipment...all of which are operating fine.

I'd *really* appreciate any direction here! THANKS!
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

bad power tubes will blow fuses instantly. every time. something to look into.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Guru

That's the mains fuse, which pretty much works the same as every other fuse you'll see on a guitar amp. (The other fuse, the HT only supports high voltage to the power amp and preamp). Don't worry about the difference - you have a fault somewhere. I'd say it's about a 75% chance it's a bad tube. If someone can open it up for you cheap, you might save a few $$ if they can rule that out. Oh yeah, and they could also save your life, too.
Old 2nd September 2007
Here for the gear

Do you have to switch bypass on to blow the fuse?

You can put the tubes out to check whether they're responsible, the amp won't be damaged when driven without tubes. You shouldn't do that if you have to open the amp and don't know what you're doing. As mentioned before there still might be HT.
If the fuse blows without tubes mounted, it's quite probable that some of the power supply capacitors are dead.

If there is more than changing tubes (should be no problem with an AC30 due to fixed bias), this should be handled by a store.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromean View Post
Do you have to switch bypass on to blow the fuse?

You can put the tubes out to check whether they're responsible, the amp won't be damaged when driven without tubes. You shouldn't do that if you have to open the amp and don't know what you're doing. As mentioned before there still might be HT.
If the fuse blows without tubes mounted, it's quite probable that some of the power supply capacitors are dead.

If there is more than changing tubes (should be no problem with an AC30 due to fixed bias), this should be handled by a store.
First of all...thanks for all of the replies!

The fuse will blow with the bypass off (this is probably worse, right?).

How long should the mains be disconnected before it is safe to pull fuses?

But, if it blows with standby switch off, it probably isn't a tube, right?

This is a pain in the butt. I am not experienced with guitar amps, per se, but I am not a noob WRT electronic. I'm *absolutely* not an expert. But I could pull the back and check for noticeably fried caps.

Is that a common cause for this type of issue?
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

It could be the rectifier tube. I had a '95 Korg reissue ac30 and the same thing
happened to me, about six times. I kept taking the amp back in to my amp guy,
I'd get it back and it would be fine for a couple of weeks, then it would start
blowing the same fuse again, the one inside the chassis. I finally got tired of
dealing with it and sold the amp. After doing a little research, I found out it's
a common problem with these amps. If you do a search for Nashville Amplifier
Service, I think they have a mod that fixes the problem. Maybe you could find
a tech near you to do the same thing.
Old 3rd September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthe View Post
The fuse will blow with the bypass off (this is probably worse, right?).

How long should the mains be disconnected before it is safe to pull fuses?

But, if it blows with standby switch off, it probably isn't a tube, right?
If the fuse blows with standby off (I wrote 'bypass' in my last reply, but we seem to mean the same), the problem have to be before the switch. This could be a capacitor, but it could still be a tube (heater).

You can pull the main fuse any time the mains are disconntected. For fuses inside the amp (HT fuse) you should wait until HT is low enough, unless you can pull them without the risk of touching metallic parts under voltage.

Normaly the HT is within a minute below 50 V, but when the tubes won't draw any current (like in your case) it might take quite some time, hours or even a day.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare View Post
It could be the rectifier tube. I had a '95 Korg reissue ac30 and the same thing
happened to me, about six times. I kept taking the amp back in to my amp guy,
I'd get it back and it would be fine for a couple of weeks, then it would start
blowing the same fuse again, the one inside the chassis. I finally got tired of
dealing with it and sold the amp. After doing a little research, I found out it's
a common problem with these amps. If you do a search for Nashville Amplifier
Service, I think they have a mod that fixes the problem. Maybe you could find
a tech near you to do the same thing.
I agree. I would swap out the rectifier tube if the CC has one. I have a 93 Korg model that did the same thing and a new rectifier tube cured the problem.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare View Post
Many of the CC's have the same issue with bad rectifier tubes

/megl
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Nut

same EXACT thing happened to me. replaced all the tubes and all is well. you should do it anyway. it sounds way better now with jj's and eh's in it. good luck

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search