The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Quartet II's or.....
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Nut

Quartet II's or.....

I've been reading on the Pendulum stuff for a while now, and its very intriguing. I'm thinking of getting a par of quartet 2's. I need versatility. The one thing though i really want something that will sound great for drums when it comes to mixing... so I've also been thinking of this setup...
MDP-1
Stereo Distressor's
A Pair of PORTICO 5033's

Both setups are in a similar price range. I'm just curious which do you think would offer me more versatility and a better all around sound. Opinions please!??
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

the quartet II is arguably the most do-it-all box you can buy up to this point (and if i had to guess, it will continue to hold that crown for quite some time). two different mic pre transformers, two loading options, two rather different sounding pult-esque equalizers, hilariously versatile compressor modeled after the ES8 which can be placed before or after the EQ, and yet another dual circuit on the limiter section (switchable between JFET and MOSFET). all sections individually patchable. all in two rack spaces.

and yeah, while it may seem expensive at first glance...i'm in the group that thinks it's pretty much the best deal going in outboard rack gear. two if them could easily step your game up if you know how to handle them.

the option of mixing and matching is a fine one, too. it'd just eat up way more rack space and each individual box isn't specifically designed to play perfectly with the next.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Nut

Yeah, people seem to rave about the Pendulum stuff. My only problem with the Q2 is the EQ. If I'm only going to have one outboard EQ I'd like to have a little more control... the 5033's are looking good.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon -10 View Post
Yeah, people seem to rave about the Pendulum stuff. My only problem with the Q2 is the EQ. If I'm only going to have one outboard EQ I'd like to have a little more control... the 5033's are looking good.
pardon, but have you used the equalizer in the QIIME, or are you just looking at pictures of it?

the 5033 is a wonderful equalizer as well, it's just that i've never sat down with a QII and said "damn, i wish this thing had more control over the sound!"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search