The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AT 4050 -- need to buy matched pair?
Old 2nd September 2007
Here for the gear

AT 4050 -- need to buy matched pair?

Hey all,

I am in the process of finding and buying a pair of AT 4050 microphones and am wondering if I need to get a matched pair or if two single 4050s used as a pair will work well. I have heard that with more modern mics the need for matched pairs is greatly reduced. In your opinions, is this true?

Thanks!
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

If my memory serves me right Audio Technica doesn't sell matched pairs because they believe the build quality is close enough that they don't need to.

At least this is what I remember..

ERic
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

i personally would not buy that mic - i bought one for close to $1000 when
they first came out - hated it pretty much the whole time i owned it for six
or seven years and then sold it for $250......

i believe life is too short to buy things twice....
buy one great mic
or a pair of 57's.....
maybe it's just me and you should
ignore me

be well

- jack
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

I own 2 4050's. They sound basically the same. I personally can't tell a difference between them. I do love the mic though. They have worked well for me in many situations.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Matched pairs

I ordered and bought what were supposed to be a matched pair of 4050's 7 years ago. They came in a nice aluminum case together with the shockmounts but when I checked the serial numbers they were 18 numbers apart. I called and was told that they are made at such tolerances that they can be closely matched even if not consecutive numbers but that they do try and match them as closely as possible via testing when ordered as stereo/matched pairs, probably bull****. So what "rainsinvelvet", Eric, says is as close to the facts as you can get they don't stereo match unless they have started since my conversation and buy. Next comes "themaidsroom" and Jack hits the proverbial nail on the head with a glancing blow which makes him right on target for about 50% of the people who have used the AT 4050, hateum 50% loveum 50%. I say take his advise and ignore him. I am from the love it camp and have been since I bought mine at $1,100.00 for the pair, case and shockmounts. I've used them in every aspect of recording at one time or other. Stereo mike a drum kit as their first test and they were damn close to perfect which sold me and led me to keep them. Stereo miked my 34 Gibson Roy Smeck DeLuxe which can bring it and it never sounded better. As stated I've used them or tried them in many and most applications. They don't always work, nothing does and theres one hell of alot of micpres, compressors, eqs, etc., etc., blah, blah gnikcuf blah.
I'll shut up now but remember you went looking for a pair for a reason and probably a valid one. Jack sold his for $250.00 bucks and I see them all the time for $350.00 and pairs for $600.00 so buy your pair or 2 singles from the 50% hateum club and if you don't likeum sell them to the 50% loveum club you just remember you can't go wrong using my Pretzel Logic, regards ,,deda,,
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Todays CNC machines can produce results in the order of 2 or more decimal places better compared to 35 to 40 years ago when the back plates on mics were hand drilled.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Nut

I've owned an unmatched pair for years and have used them as a stereo pair with fine results. I have no complaints about them for their price. I use them exclusively for 2-tracking all of my gigs and they are extremely rugged and I've never had any issue with them. Their quality of sound should not be confused with any of the classic LDCs though. (I've heard people say they're a "poor man's U87". I disagree.) I would consider these to be entry to mid-level LDCs. Overall, a very good value.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search