The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
i want to do a diy mic pre/compressor but... Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

i want to do a diy mic pre/compressor but...

i dont know jack about it.

although i love electronics and i love to soldier, i dont know how to read a meter and i dont know about voltages and other basic concepts, but i do love this kind of stuff and i can follow instructins well.

is this type of thing over my head or is it something that someone like myself can do?

i could gain experience with the iron by taking a old junk vcr and praticing on the pcb with it.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Go for it. Try to find a kit and prepare yourself to be overwelmed at times. Once you get it working you will feel great.
Old 2nd September 2007
ktf
Gear Maniac

From what I have seen in the DIY kit department, that sound like two projects. You would build your mic pre and then your compressor. Happy hunting.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

i thought about this as well but when i looked at all the wires and stuff i was sorta intimidated but go for it man,i might try me one later this year what the hell if it works i'll be the man...
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

anyone know roughly how much it costs to do a diy la-2a? i know that is one out there that is pcb and is a bit easier to do, that is the route id likely go.

im doing my research on all of this right now and the thing i cant figure out is the chassis. do you have to buy your own sheet of steel and bend it up yourself?
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Go on Ebay and find the US Navy electronics training manual (NEETS). It's a CD of PDFs of the training manual for like $6 + S/H. Teaches a lot of stuff about basic electronic theory, tubes, transistors, power supplies in the infamous military fashion of "Moneky see, monkey do". If you know nothing about electronics this will get you started, it won't make you an expert, but will give you enough background to start learning. Be careful as this is another "Addiction" in itself. Most all of the studios and engineers of yesteryear built thier own gear, or at least learned how to maintain and modify it.

Here is a manual available from the same guy I got mine from: ULTIMATE ELECTRONICS TRAINING ON CD NAVY NEETS + MORE ! - (eBay item 230167565294 end time Sep-04-07 18:08:15 PDT)
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

You mean these?

Navy Documents

Cheers.

Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Hi,

Go to Prodigy Forum ... a DIY forum. There you can see the cost & everything (including PCB & parts in kit in the Black Market Forum).

A La2a is not a very easy project to start. There is nice think like a SuperGreen (a Amek pre) or GSSL comp to do first (I think, my I'm not a pro).

People are really nice on this board.
Hope it helps.
/Nick.

Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Planet View Post
You mean these?

Navy Documents

Cheers.

HA - thanks that was easy.

I have been thinking about this as well but I literally know jack about electronics.

I have a family member who was really into jukeboxes and pinball machines - he ended up taking a community college course next to nothing and learnt boatloads.

Thanks for the link
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search