The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone want to hear a listening test of mics on acoustic guitar? Condenser Microphones
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear
Anyone want to hear a listening test of mics on acoustic guitar?

I am geekin out and gettin ready to do some Taylor 814ce guitar shootouts for myself....
Sm81, Sen e905, sen 441, Rode K2, sen 421, Audix CX101, SM57 Unidine3
I will post mp3's if anyone is interested in hearing the results.
Let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone want to hear a listening test of mics on acoustic guitar?-meandleah-009.jpg   Anyone want to hear a listening test of mics on acoustic guitar?-meandleah-010.jpg  
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Sounds like fun.

The way those capsules are spaced, you'll have to do multiple takes to get a fair assesment.

None of those are my "go to" mics for this application, but something's bound to sound cool. I'd be interested to hear the 441. Never tried it on acoustic.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
Sounds like fun.

The way those capsules are spaced, you'll have to do multiple takes to get a fair assesment.

None of those are my "go to" mics for this application, but something's bound to sound cool. I'd be interested to hear the 441. Never tried it on acoustic.
I'll move em in a bit before testing later today....I will try to do just 1 take for evaluation.
I got sidetracked giving a concert to my 5 month old daughter.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds like fun.

The 441 is the only dynamic mic I have had success with on the acoustic. It should turn out realy well. Post the clips!
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear
I realize this is not a scientific test, but I was very dissapointed in the sound of all the senhieser mics in this test.
I like the SM81, followed by the K2, and the Audix CX-101.
Please post your opinions
Attached Files

Track 01.mp3 (2.89 MB, 550 views)

Old 2nd September 2007
Here for the gear
I agree with the SM81. It sounds like how a guitar should should sound like in my head.

That being said, I'm going to state the cop out statement of it depends so much on the music, both style and other instruments. If we're talking solo acoustic guitar, that's one thing. If we're talking one track of a full rock piece, that's another.

Thanks for posting! I love A/B tests!

Danny
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear
I usually throw up with a pair of SM81's about 16" away, a K2 in omni about 5ft away, and experiment with placement either spaced pair or x-y with the SM81's.
Sometimes these tests will reveal for me a mic that I never thought of using(like the e905 or 421), but there were no hidden gems in this test for me this time....except maybe the Audix cx-101.
I will try additional experiments with that mic and different preamps today.(Drawmer 1960, Pacifica, Jim Williams mod Joe Meek VC1, Jim Williams mod Studio Technologies mic preminance, Art ProMPA)
Again, I am doing this for myself, but If anyone is still interested, I am glad to post more samples as I try to narrow it down to my best options for recoding the best acoustic guitar sound possible with what I have in my studio.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Does Jim Williams mod the Vc1?What did he do to it
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
Does Jim Williams mod the Vc1?What did he do to it
Yeah, He did a great job with it!
He sent it back to me with a small bag of parts that he took out of the original.
The micpre still has that darker Joe meek sound, but really sounds more detailed.
The compressor section is the same way....still adds a nice smooth, darker tone, but in a transparent way. In fact Jim emailed me to comment on how tranparent the compressor became after mods.
It has become my "go to" secret weapon for bass DI.....pre compressing a bit on the way in.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Guru

what i find most amazing is that all the mics somehow sound like led zeppelin, maybe even rush.

honestly, i think there are more useful sounds in there than you think. in particular, the e905 was really good, i can see that sound having a place. the 441 just seemed like it was sitting in a really bad position given its response curve, for all i know it might rock over your shoulder. the cx-101 has an interesting vibe. and again i'm struck by how the 421 and the 57 could work perfectly for some situations, like when a song is all fat woolly low-mids and i need an acoustic to just sit behind everything but not sound wispy.

the sm81 is alright, i feel like in the mix all i'd hear is the raking of the pick. then again, that might be just what the mix needs, acoustics-as-shakers.

thanks for posting the clip!

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

i dug the k2. haven't really heard many rode mics.
the sm 81 was exactly as i know it from the studio i used to work at. it's an alright sound; it probably fits well into a lot of pop-rock. but it's not like a "really nice acoustic guitar sound."
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
None of those are my "go to" mics for this application
cool I guess I'll have to try these mics then
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti View Post
I am geekin out and gettin ready to do some Taylor 814ce guitar shootouts for myself....
Sm81, Sen e905, sen 441, Rode K2, sen 421, Audix CX101, SM57 Unidine3
I will post mp3's if anyone is interested in hearing the results.
Let me know.
you play the trees kinda cool!!!!!!!
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
what i find most amazing is that all the mics somehow sound like led zeppelin, maybe even rush.

honestly, i think there are more useful sounds in there than you think. in particular, the e905 was really good, i can see that sound having a place. the 441 just seemed like it was sitting in a really bad position given its response curve, for all i know it might rock over your shoulder. the cx-101 has an interesting vibe. and again i'm struck by how the 421 and the 57 could work perfectly for some situations, like when a song is all fat woolly low-mids and i need an acoustic to just sit behind everything but not sound wispy.

the sm81 is alright, i feel like in the mix all i'd hear is the raking of the pick. then again, that might be just what the mix needs, acoustics-as-shakers.

thanks for posting the clip!

gregoire
del
ubk
Maybe I was too quick to dismiss some of these mics.....I appreciate the reasoning in your feedback.
I will try another test giving the e905 and others more playing time, and maybe a placement test with the 441.
Should make for a fun LaborDay morning.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
you play the trees kinda cool!!!!!!!
Thanks, but I pretty much suck these days.
I need to start playing more again, and not once a month for 15 min.
My 5 month old baby daughter is TOTALLY interested in the acoustic, her full attention and eyes watching my hands while playing.....my new insparation to play more.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyle tromb View Post
i dug the k2. haven't really heard many rode mics.
the sm 81 was exactly as i know it from the studio i used to work at. it's an alright sound; it probably fits well into a lot of pop-rock. but it's not like a "really nice acoustic guitar sound."
Yeah, The SM81 really has a signature sound.
When I am doing a quick "blind" shootout for mic selection with a band, I immediatly know which one is the SM81.
The K2 SM81 combo is nice.
I will have some fun with combo's in my new round of tests this morning.
I will post another MP3...thanks for the feedback!
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear
Another round of tests.
Please let me know if there is a particular combination you would like to hear together...I will take requests.(lol)
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone want to hear a listening test of mics on acoustic guitar?-ac2-003.jpg   Anyone want to hear a listening test of mics on acoustic guitar?-ac2-006.jpg  
Attached Files

ac2.mp3 (4.44 MB, 101 views)

Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut
thanks for putting these up. haven't listened yet but will when i get a chance.
in the meantime, what are all those bits of wood for on the floor around your stool? are they there for reflections or ... ?
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobo View Post
thanks for putting these up. haven't listened yet but will when i get a chance.
in the meantime, what are all those bits of wood for on the floor around your stool? are they there for reflections or ... ?
They are wood clamps....it adds some diffusion.
It sounds better than the plain carpet floor for acoustic, and looks goofy. lol
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

I really like the lyrics. Some of the better ones I heard posted.

And I know what you mean about barely playing anymore. I think we can all tell you do play. Maybe a past life like mine.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

i liked the audix and the K2. the 441 sounded like it'd be awesome on electric guitar (like for a lead or solo). what pre's were you using in the sample above?
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
It would be great if you posted your tests on our new site ***********.com: Audition Recording Gear for Free!. It's a new site made specifically for this purpose. We hope it will compliment GearSlutz and other audio forums by giving users FREE space to post their gear tests.
I never knew about your site...I will check it out further this weekend.
I would be glad to share my test results.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Cane View Post
I really like the lyrics. Some of the better ones I heard posted.

And I know what you mean about barely playing anymore. I think we can all tell you do play. Maybe a past life like mine.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaclypse View Post
i liked the audix and the K2. the 441 sounded like it'd be awesome on electric guitar (like for a lead or solo). what pre's were you using in the sample above?
The K2 went through a Pacifica in both posted samples.
The Audix Cx101 went through a Studio Technologies pre for both.
The 441 went through a Studio Technologies pre for the first test, and a Drawmer 1960 for the second test.
Yes, the 441 is really good in front of a Marshall 1/2 stack.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search